Krdshrk

ATF Classifies SS109 and M855 as Armor Piercing

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1424020581.832357.jpgIt's these boxes right here. Call of you want. Buy em or don't buy em. Don't care

dont worry guys SportsmansGuide has this stuff on backorder for 7/6/15 delivery so this whole ban thing must be a joke from the BATF

For those who don't know, there is a petition on whitehouse.gov to try and stop this from happening.  In two days, they have already amassed almost 7,000 signatures.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-batfe-banning-xm855-ammunition/XrvVh1cj

Please spread this info around to all areas that you can.  I don't want M855 to go the way of 7N6, and I'm sure you don't want to that either.

Also here's the contact info for the BATF:

ATF email: [email protected]

Fax: (202) 648-9741.

Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

Actually I can cast whatever I want, I'm not heartbroken. If the need for real penetraters ever arose I'm sure we could all become creative. I don't care if I have to shoot paper with soft tips. I just hate the principal behind the whole thing.

I know it is off topic, but this is huge. Kids can't talk about, draw, or even have pastries that were bitten into the shape of a gun while in school. The anti-gun rights folks (progressives included) are playing the long game. They know it will take a generational change to enact their 2A repeal/gun-ban faux utopia plan.

Err I disagree.

First of all I look at who goes to the range. There is a very distinction difference in the average age of shooters today from when I started. The shooting population is much younger.

Secondly, most of the school age kids I know (and it isn't many I admit) seem to think school is a strange joke. They learn how to deal with its odd rules, but don't buy the BS

And lastly: Call of Duty and the million games like it. The people trying to shape the kids minds in schools run head first into what the kids do outside schools. Lets face, it guns are cool, and the squares are never going to convince anyone that cool is bad.

Err I disagree.

First of all I look at who goes to the range. There is a very distinction difference in the average age of shooters today from when I started. The shooting population is much younger.

Secondly, most of the school age kids I know (and it isn't many I admit) seem to think school is a strange joke. They learn how to deal with its odd rules, but don't buy the BS

And lastly: Call of Duty and the million games like it. The people trying to shape the kids minds in schools run head first into what the kids do outside schools. Lets face, it guns are cool, and the squares are never going to convince anyone that cool is bad.

I hope you are right, and I do admit that I notice some of the same observations. This doesn't mean that they aren't trying their best to use educational institutions to brainwash our children, but only that it may not be working as intended. Perhaps it will have the opposite effect in that children indoctrinated this way will look at guns and gun rights as delicious forbidden fruit in a rebellious against-the-system way.

For those who don't know, there is a petition on whitehouse.gov to try and stop this from happening.  In two days, they have already amassed almost 7,000 signatures.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-batfe-banning-xm855-ammunition/XrvVh1cj

Please spread this info around to all areas that you can.  I don't want M855 to go the way of 7N6, and I'm sure you don't want to that either.

Also here's the contact info for the BATF:

ATF email: [email protected]

Fax: (202) 648-9741.

Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

A petition on the Whitehouse runs is a joke,..   Make a difference by Blowing up your representatives phone lines

enough is enough and it should be challenged.  They simply cannot make arbitrary rules and that is codified in law and precedent.

Also, it's time to challenge executive action

Who is to challenge them?

The GOP?

They are a joke. They have no concerns about our causes.. Thy are to busy trying to figure out how to get on the amnesty bandwagon.

BTW, not that I want the US government to think about this too hard, but the M855 is pretty much the worst ammo out there, after russian stuff and M193.  In fact it may be worse then M193 if you use it for practice because it will mess up steel.  I can honestly say that the only penetrator ammo I've ever had was picked up by mistake, long ago blasted as practice ammo. 

For social purposes the OTM heavies are far more interesting. 

BTW, not that I want the US government to think about this too hard, but the M855 is pretty much the worst ammo out there, after russian stuff and M193.  In fact it may be worse then M193 if you use it for practice because it will mess up steel.  I can honestly say that the only penetrator ammo I've ever had was picked up by mistake, long ago blasted as practice ammo. 

For social purposes the OTM heavies are far more interesting.

Or AMAX. Or TSX.

I know we are not talking about AP ammo here, but the ATF definitions of "AP" as handgun ammo designed to penetrate police vests. But I don't think M855 meets ANY of the ATF definitions. It does not have more than 25% by mass jacket, is not lead free, is not entirely constructed of listed materials.

I know it was previously specifically exempted by ATF, but I think that was simply to avoid confusion in the market. Not because it needed an exception.

I believe this is being done to put pressure on ammo costs for these types of firearms. In 2013 when dems were swinging around all the ban talk, they had no idea what was going to happen. They thought the NRA would get some fringe voters to knock a few dems out of the Senate like after the 1994 AWB. They had no idea that these firearms were the most popular in the country and that they had almost become mainstream. It was, no doubt, shocking and horrifying that their aspirations had zero chance. They want to make this too expensive and cumbersome to be popular. Progressives are delighted to wait a generation to see the fruits of their labors. That is why they are teaching all school children that guns are bad and even pointing a finger will result in an instant Pavlovian electrical shock. We face future challenges to say the least.

or it could be another result of all the videos of ar pistols? letting them classify it as handgun ammo?

or it could be another result of all the videos of ar pistols? letting them classify it as handgun ammo?

Well, you'd think, but the law very clearly states ammo originally and specifically designed for use in rifles is exempt.  The restriction on AP ammo is for handgun ammo only, not rifle ammo that can be used in a rifle platform that has been modified to accept rifle ammo.  What the BATF is trying to do is reverse that exemption on M855/SS109 ammo, paving the way for future restrictions on every other ammo that can be used in a handgun designed to use rifle caliber ammo.

paving the way for future restrictions on every other ammo that can be used in a handgun designed to use rifle caliber ammo.

Not really, that has been paved and driven on a number of times, hence the lack of "AP" ammo in 7.62x39, 5.45, etc. This is not new at all, it has been going on for years. The biggest issue is not even the AP thing, but the sporting purpose thing, because the ATF can decided to make up whatever bullshit it wants about sporting purpose.