SuRrEaLNJ

What to buy? Hypothetically entertain me

(Disclaimer, I've had a few really bad days and really could use the distraction of a hypothetical discussion)

So the other day I was asked if I had a wad of money in my pocket since I have an extra permit what would I buy? I didn't have an immediate answer for the question, which I found weird. That got me to thinking if I was to walk into the lgs today what should I buy? What do I need?

I have

XDM 3.8 .45

Baby eagle full sized 9

Pietta 1858 Remington

Wife has (which means I can shoot whenever)

Springfield loaded 1911 stainless don't ask me the model number

Colt new agent .380

Dad lets me shoot whenever

Ruger vaquero .45LC

armscore GI 1911

1858 Remington 45lc conversion

I tend to think I have a lot of the basics covered. If you were me, somewhat realistically, what would you add to the safe?

I was going to suggest Ruger GP100 but MedicYeti already did.  I'd rather recommend 4".  I tried a 6" revolver (S&W) recently, and didn't like the barrel weight.  Have to tell I had better accuracy with it than with any other handgun.

Another option to consider - a 1911 in 9mm.

A couple suggestions:

Any .44Mag revolver - nothing quite like it at the range

Beretta 92FS or any of the variants - a nice shooter IMO

Glock 17 /19 - the Toyota Camry of handguns

PPQ - One of the finest striker-fired triggers out there

Substitute a VP9 for the PPQ if you like H&K better than Walther.  Very similar handguns.

I've never had much of a feel for glocks, I'm open to them, I've tried them, I don't belong to the hate camp for them, I've just never gotten a warm and fuzzy feeling from them.

This going to sound funny, but I don't shoot 1911s well. I love the gun, but from the ones I've shot, which has been a handful I've never done exceptional with any of them, which kind of bugs me.

If I get hookers I'm pretty sure the wife will be more mad then if I buy another pistol

Ammo and practice, I have a few K rounds in every caliber I'm in right now, 9, 45acp, 762x39, and a somewhat sufficient amount of .380 30-06 and I have been light on .223 since the last panic and I almost gave up on the caliber. I only keep a couple hundred on hand for when I feel like taking the mini out.

As for practice depending on the month I try to get out between 2-4 times a month, so I make a pretty good effort there imo.

Oh and on that not if I started stocking .223/5.56 in any quantity I think I'd build an ar at this point, which if that happens it's be after my long term parts collecting for my ak project

Although if I did go ar pistol that extar would be the way to go I think.

I've played with a PPQ but never fired one, but was impressed. I haven't had an opportunity to handle a vp9 yet, although I have followed some of the buzz about it.

Fnx could warrant a handle.

Thought of a wheel gun is tempting but I'm not sure about wanting to feed the .500. If I did that I'd probably go with like a deagle in 50ae for giggles, not that I'm tempted to feed that either

Might have to hit the rental cabinet and try some 357 or 44 mag then. Tbh I've been intrigued by 44 since I was a kid but that could be just one of those movie/video game things, ya know?

And I do appreciate you guys playing along

(Disclaimer, I've had a few really bad days and really could use the distraction of a hypothetical discussion)

So the other day I was asked if I had a wad of money in my pocket since I have an extra permit what would I buy? I didn't have an immediate answer for the question, which I found weird. That got me to thinking if I was to walk into the lgs today what should I buy? What do I need?

I have

XDM 3.8 .45

Baby eagle full sized 9

Pietta 1858 Remington

Colt new agent .380

Ruger vaquero .45LC

armscore GI 1911

I tend to think I have a lot of the basics covered. If you were me, somewhat realistically, what would you add to the safe?

Jeez like a revolver or two?

I really do have a permit to burn, that I was told definitely will be extended by the NMPD, so I have some time with this one. I'm playing the game because the little voice in one ear is screaming to use it and the other side knows I should probably chill for a bit.

I rented a cz75 before I bought my. BEagle, and me and that gun didn't take to one another well. I couldn't get comfortable with it and the groupings showed that fact pretty clearly.

I shoot revolvers, just only own one that I dont... (The pietta)

Wheel guns do have my interest piqued at the moment, and as many have pointed out I don't have a shooter.

I have this odd long term saiga conversion project going on. Wife said don't buy it, I bought it and then convinced her it was a good idea. We have this odd little agreement that I will convert it, and I plan to modernize it, not tactic ool, but practical to fit me, but I will pick up peices here and there, most of which are gifts, so like I got a chaos rail and some stuff for Xmas, a strike fire for my bday and then pick up little things here and there. I may build an ar someday, but not until after I finish this thing

I do also have my mini14, the saiga, the springfield and HRA garands and a t53 in the rifle category

Here is my firmest recommendation - Buy something REALLY NICE, a showpiece if you will - whether it be a really nice bolt-action rifle w/ a great scope (be it a tactical-style like I like w/ a great military-grade scope, or a beautiful wooden-stocked hunting rifle with a premium European hunting-style scope etc.) or a beautiful , timeless 1911 (again be it a Delta Force-style STI 2011 Tactical 5.0 or a classic, timeless Les Baer/Dan Wesson/Ed Brown etc.) - if you're a revolver guy you can of course get a top-notch collector-level revolver etc.

My own experience is that in the fall of 2012 I finally received my 'money' from a not minor but not major settlement (I'd rather spare the details online) .  It was not nearly all the money in the world, not even enough to start a new life, but not chump chump change either, well to some sure but not to me at least).  I could not have bought each and every gun I wanted but I could have bought at least ONE of just-about-whatever-I-wanted, class-III/Barrett $15K .50's non-withstanding.  I swore to myself i was older now, more experienced and more restrained, I would NOT spend all my money on guns gosh darnit!  I bought a $500 toy and spent another $500 accessorizing it, I bought my Dad about a $1000 Christmas-present firearm and a lot more accessoriziing it, etc, and I bought a $700 bolt-action rifle  that I eventually put $3000 into.  BUT, I didn't buy the Kimber rifle I was looking at, I bought the Remington 700.  I didn't buy my old man a Benelli, I bought a Saiga-12, and I didn't buy a $2000 scope, I bought a $400 scope etc.

And when I finally ran out of the money because I bought little things often, I had nothing really nice to show for it.  I have lots of stuff, and perhaps more guns than others, but nothing  people would really care about and no showpieces, my 700 build has a lot of money into it but most wouldn't even realize it by looking at it.  And literally as soon as I was done spending my money, I realized, -- it hit me -- what I really craved was something really, Really nice- a top-level 1911, a $2500+ scope on top of my rifle, maybe even something awesome like a M110 rifle or even a M1A M25 etc.

So my advice to you is to buy something REALLY nice.  Guns hold their value, almost universally, you will never take a beating selling as long as it's in decent condition, so you don't have to worry that if you spend $3000 now , you will get $1000 later (unless it's an emergency and you walk into the LGS looking for instant cash, they take total advantage of that).

anyway, Goodluck.

I've played with a PPQ but never fired one, but was impressed. I haven't had an opportunity to handle a vp9 yet, although I have followed some of the buzz about it.

RTSP has both in their rental inventory. I've shot and enjoyed both, but my avatar should tell you what I ended up buying.

I have

XDM 3.8 .45

Baby eagle full sized 9

Pietta 1858 Remington

Colt new agent .380

Ruger vaquero .45LC

armscore GI 1911

So your smallest caliber is the .380? A .22 revolver will put a smile on your face.

Next really nice purchase I make is going to be bike related. I've put a lot of money into my 91 Ford Explorer, 8" lift, etc. I have a buddy that is going to take it off my hands so I know it goes to a good home and I'm going to use that sale to start tofund my 42 Wla project, so I don't plan on any really nice gun purchases. The sa garand is my nice gun, and if no one other then me likes my stuff I'm cool with that.

I actually recently sold my 22 rifle. For some odd reason while I enjoy shooting 22, and one way another do pretty regularly with stuff thought the family, it's never made me smile the way center fire has.

Ruger GP100, 6" barrel, Stainless, 357.

I was going to suggest Ruger GP100 but MedicYeti already did. .

What's your guys thoughts on the trigger? Seems to be the one place I see negative things on these.

I'm thoroughly intrigued but haven't gotten to handle on yet

I am going to suggest (because I'm looking for one myself) a short-ish 44mag.

I'm looking at the TALO 629 but am tempted by the Ruger Redhawk Alaskan. I've handled the Ruger and it's really nice.

Let's talk about that WLA project sometime. I have a 74 Shovel project and live in Maywood...

C

so today we played with revolvers

shot a ruger police service 6 in 357. ruger sp 101 in 327 and the vaquero in 45 long

i also fondled a pair of ruger gp100 and an asortment of smiths including a really nice blued model 19 that i really wish i knew if i could drive it better then i typically do with revolvers

right now i think the best fit to my hand was the gp100. i have an apparent problem with certain grip angles on revolvers having primarily shot semis. that felt the most natural.

also, i hate trough style rear sights. not a fan at all.

is it better to ask for permission now or forgiveness later from the wife?

If you buy a 500 you will wind up like most who own them. You will take it to the range fire maybe a dozen rounds and because of recoil and ammo costs put it away until the next trip.

A 4" 357 is the best all around handgun made. Cheap to feed and variety of power levels in ammo available.

GP100 would be a great choice.

What's the consensus of blued vs stainless? I've never bought anything that has had an option

I prefer stainless. Easier to maintain moreso if you have to carry it in the weather. Many prefer the traditional look of blued. If you scratch or wear the bluing you can touch it up but its not the same anymore.