DirtyDigz

Aimsurplus NATO SS109/M855 1K rds ~$423.00 shipped

I have 1k m855 that has been sitting in my safe for 3 years, and it will probably continue to waste space for the rest of my life. Its not even that good of a round. When I saw this news I did buy another 1k of 193, just a reminder to stock up now, before the shtf.

those of you saying it's not a good round, how many barrier tests have you done, have you hunted big hogs with it?

Nothing scientific but I've shot plenty of cinder blocks, steel plates, and water jugs.  And why would I hunt a big hog with a .22 caliber?  Especially one that doesn't expand.

Nothing scientific but I've shot plenty of cinder blocks, steel plates, and water jugs.  And why would I hunt a big hog with a .22 caliber?  Especially one that doesn't expand.

so then you haven't hunted with it....

I have, and it's great on big hogs as it you get them up high in the shoulder area and it drops them in their tracks.

This round is not built to be frangible like 193, it serves a different purpose.  It does very well in barrier penetration and breaking bones:)

I have, and it's great on big hogs as it you get them up high in the shoulder area and it drops them in their tracks.

This round is not built to be frangible like 193, it serves a different purpose.  It does very well in barrier penetration and breaking bones:)

I don't want to derail this thread with the ethics of hunting but I believe there are far superior bullets for taking hog-sized game than M855.

It was degined to be a more ethical round in combat war zones. Where the 193 would fragment and create large wounds, the 855 was a more "humanitarian" round, and many people complained about its stopping power due top its ability to pass cleanly through a target. You can hunt hogs all you want with it, certainly wont argue over soemthing that works for you. But in the grand scheme of things there are not many people who use it to hunt, and most just shoot paper with it. LIke i said, i have some of it. and was a shtf purchase. If i didnt want it i would sell it off right now.

It was degined to be a more ethical round in combat war zones. Where the 193 would fragment and create large wounds, the 855 was a more "humanitarian" round, and many people complained about its stopping power due top its ability to pass cleanly through a target. You can hunt hogs all you want with it, certainly wont argue over soemthing that works for you. But in the grand scheme of things there are not many people who use it to hunt, and most just shoot paper with it. LIke i said, i have some of it. and was a shtf purchase. If i didnt want it i would sell it off right now.

agree on it's creation but disagree on it's use.  In LA and Miss (areas I've been on hog hunts), it's widely used for the big ones as the hides are pretty thick and they'll run regardless so literally blowing up their shoulders works great.

anyway, good discussion

I don't want to derail this thread with the ethics of hunting but I believe there are far superior bullets for taking hog-sized game than M855.

I agree, as with all things however, shot placement is key and the .22 cal does a nice job with the right bullet, on the right sized hog, in the right location.  I prefer the 6.8 generally

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said.

So the idiots in DC hatch an end around scheme to ban one segment of the 5.56 market knowing full well the panic buying dummies would go out in full freak-out mode and buy out EVERY type of 5.56 ammo..causing the emptying of wallets nationwide....HOOK..LINE..AND SINKER..great job panic buyers...I have a bridge for sale if youre interested..