Newtonian

Mosins are making a comeback in NJ!

As you may know I am a Mosin Nagant aficionado. Since I've been collecting them I have been awaiting in vain for opportunities to use them against advancing Nazi hordes, zombies, and starving bands of low-land marauders.

Now an ingenious NJ gun lover has discovered an application for the Mosin that I'm sure will bring smiles to your faces:

http://goo.gl/13SsAz

A tuna fisherman has been accused of shooting at pilot whales from his vessel with a World War II-era rifle. Daniel Archibald surrendered Thursday to face the charges and was released on a $10,000 unsecured bond.

Archibald, who's from Cape May, widely considered America's oldest seaside resort, used a Mosin-Nagant rifle to shoot at pilot whales from the vessel Capt. Bob, the U.S. attorney's office for New Jersey said. 

I hope it didn't have a hex receiver. Would be a shame to have one of those melted down.

Authorities said Archibald told them he had "sprayed" fire at pilot whales, which are extremely social animals, about a month earlier to chase them away from his vessel's fishing lines

Spraying fire from a mosin? that's tough...

Angelo,

While I abhor what he did, I have a question about a Mosin Nagant that a friend gave me. I believe it 's stampted 1955 and I got it in the box still in cosmoline. What a mess that was!

It's made in Poland and really has a nice stock. My question is should I keep that one unfired as a collector piece and buy a junker to shoot? I have no idea if the one I have has value or not.

You are the expert and you would know better. I heard the ones made in Poland were of better quality.  Thanks,  John

Spraying fire from a mosin? that's tough...

It must have had a high capacity 5 round clip and one of those things that goes up.

In all seriousness, this guy is an idiot for shooting whales. I'm sure throwing a few m80's in the water would work well in scaring them away out of the area away from his nets.

If it is true that he was shooting at whales fuck him I hope he is convicted of everything he is charged with and gets raped in jail.

+1,000,000

I guess that asshat did not  realize or care that whales share a trait with humans, intelligence! Ten times the intelligence of that asshole, obviously!!!!

If it is true that he was shooting at whales fuck him I hope he is convicted of everything he is charged with and gets raped in jail.

By the letter of the law if he was not intentionally shooting AT a whale he is in the clear.

BUT, in any case this douche bag is a piece of immoral shit!

He could have been Japanese, and "conducting research" lol...

Don't worry next week another news article will surface about how they found empty bags of Heroin on his boat, and that he was killing whales in a known drug running route of the ocean hahha...

I wonder if the Bob Barker and Steve Irwin will be patrolling the NJ coastline now?

Whales are pretty cool animals, why anyone would want to kill them is beyond me. I understand they strip fishermen's nets from time to time, but that's part of the job. Just like deer eat farmers crops, difference here is no one person owns the ocean, unlike a farmers private property. And Deer aren't a protected species. This guy is an idiot.

Angelo,

While I abhor what he did, I have a question about a Mosin Nagant that a friend gave me. I believe it 's stampted 1955 and I got it in the box still in cosmoline. What a mess that was!

It's made in Poland and really has a nice stock. My question is should I keep that one unfired as a collector piece and buy a junker to shoot? I have no idea if the one I have has value or not.

You are the expert and you would know better. I heard the ones made in Poland were of better quality. Thanks, John

Do all the numbers match on bolt, receiver, floor plate, butstock? Post some pictures of the proof marks. There's a few guys here that can tell you a lot about that rifle with the right information.

Angelo,

You are the expert and you would know better. I heard the ones made in Poland were of better quality.  Thanks,  John

Does the bolt match the rifle? If it's not matching it's going to be less of a collector piece and more of a shooter. Even if it does match and it's unfired, shooting it isn't going to diminish the value much if you take care of it.

Does the bolt match the rifle? If it's not matching it's going to be less of a collector piece and more of a shooter. Even if it does match and it's unfired, shooting it isn't going to diminish the value much if you take care of it.

All numbers match.

Considering the only blemishes  on this rifle if any. happened in my safe or while I was removing the Cosmoline, I will not shoot this rifle and will keep this one pristine while searching for

a shooter to use for fun.  Anyone know of a good source for a shooter Mosin M44???

Considering the only blemishes on this rifle if any. happened in my safe or while I was removing the Cosmoline, I will not shoot this rifle and will keep this one pristine while searching for

a shooter to use for fun. Anyone know of a good source for a shooter Mosin M44???

Any weekend gun show in PA. Usually a few dozen to choose from.

honestly considering that they are still relatively cheap u can afford to buy second rifle as a shooter :)

and screw that bastard for shooting a whale ...

I was watching one of those shows about Alaska (discovery or national geographic channel ) . The natives were using Mosin to hunt ...

Any weekend gun show in PA. Usually a few dozen to choose from.

I will attend the next show near Philly and hopefully pick up a shooter since I already bought some ammo for the one I am NOT going to shoot!

Two questions,

The unissued, unfired Mosin I figure worth about $400

The shooter Mosin I guess I will pay around $200.

Am I in the ballpark with these figures???

I will attend the next show near Philly and hopefully pick up a shooter since I already bought some ammo for the one I am NOT going to shoot!

Two questions,

The unissued, unfired Mosin I figure worth about $400

The shooter Mosin I guess I will pay around $200.

Am I in the ballpark with these figures???

I'm not sure on your polish the price exactly. But you can find a shooter m44 for around that price. If I were you I would look for the M38 it's the same carbine as the M44 without the bayonet. Much lighter IMO. You can probably find a 91/30 between $100-200. If you look hard.

Angelo,

You are the expert and you would know better. I heard the ones made in Poland were of better quality. Thanks, John

I also have an unfired polish m44. All matching, beautiful stock. Apparently they found a bunch of them somewhere in the early 90s and imported a ton of them all in new condition. Im not shooting mine its not often you find something that old and still unfired.

Angelo,

As my posts clearly indicate I am no expert on any subject related to guns! I could brag that I've been shooting since age 14, which would be technically correct, but in truth I only really started less than 30 years ago, and in earnest just 3-4 years ago. 

You should thank your friend. I did a brief Google search and found Polish Mosins selling for anywhere from $350 to $800+. Condition and matching numbers increases their value. I held my nose when I paid $210 or $220 for my laminate stock Russian Mosin. My others cost between $110 and about $150 (hex receiver). Mine are all 1930 s to early 1940s, all with matching numbers although two have horrible sticky bolt problems that I've been unable to solve. I've seen some Polish Mosins for sale that were unfired. I don't believe I've seen any Russians in similar condition.

The Internet (and other posters) are much better sources of info on these guns than me. However, my philosophy is unless you're talking about the gun that Wyatt Earp used at the OK Corral I'd shoot the danged thing. If you take good care of the gun any reduction in value will be more than offset by the fun of shooting it.