Newtonian

Mosins are making a comeback in NJ!

Well that is where we disagree.  Here is a pic of my unissued Savage Enfield in the factory black cosmoline.  I have been offered $800 for it as it sits, what makes it valuable is the fact that it is truly unissued.  Now if I were to go clean it and shoot it, it then turns into a $350-400 gun.  I myself know that it is going to stay the way it is and be uncleaned and unfired. 

P1000156_zpsb16eddb2.jpg

That is a pretty sharp looking Mosin-Nagant. Any nice Mosin always looks strange to me because the Soviet ones are always so crude. 

I would shoot it. I'm not much of a fan of safe queens. 

As my posts clearly indicate I am no expert on any subject related to guns! I could brag that I've been shooting since age 14, which would be technically correct, but in truth I only really started less than 30 years ago, and in earnest just 3-4 years ago. 

You should thank your friend. I did a brief Google search and found Polish Mosins selling for anywhere from $350 to $800+. Condition and matching numbers increases their value. I held my nose when I paid $210 or $220 for my laminate stock Russian Mosin. My others cost between $110 and about $150 (hex receiver). Mine are all 1930 s to early 1940s, all with matching numbers although two have horrible sticky bolt problems that I've been unable to solve. I've seen some Polish Mosins for sale that were unfired. I don't believe I've seen any Russians in similar condition.

The Internet (and other posters) are much better sources of info on these guns than me. However, my philosophy is unless you're talking about the gun that Wyatt Earp used at the OK Corral I'd shoot the danged thing. If you take good care of the gun any reduction in value will be more than offset by the fun of shooting it. 

I thank you Angelo for the info you provided me! Based on your info, I believe my specimen to be unissued, unfired and all matching #s and therefore worth something to my heirs if kept as is. usnmars shows that I could potentially cut the value of the rifle by half by shooting it so I will buy a shooter

Mosin Nagant in the next few weeks or so I will be less tempted to destroy the value of the one that I got as a gift. Thanks again!

PS. I Hate Cosmoline!!!

Well that is where we disagree.  Here is a pic of my unissued Savage Enfield in the factory black cosmoline.  I have been offered $800 for it as it sits, what makes it valuable is the fact that it is truly unissued.  Now if I were to go clean it and shoot it, it then turns into a $350-400 gun.  I myself know that it is going to stay the way it is and be uncleaned and unfired. 

P1000156_zpsb16eddb2.jpg

Beautiful!

Ahh, the ol' Mosin.  Honestly, if this gun weren't so cheap and widely available, it wouldn't have the allure it does.  There are better milsurp rifles out there, just all the good ones (k98, M1, M1903, Enfield) are bought up and in safes across the country.  Most of which are probably located an unsmar's place... ;)

I also have an unfired polish m44. All matching, beautiful stock. Apparently they found a bunch of them somewhere in the early 90s and imported a ton of them all in new condition. Im not shooting mine its not often you find something that old and still unfired.

I remember Navy Arms selling those for $75 at the time. I didn't buy one because ammo really wasn't available then. Still wish I did.

I think it is a mixture of both...... The mosin is crude has fought against itself in 2 world wars, and made to be used in the harshest conditions.. Now the other milsurps like 1903s and Enfields are far more refined and the price reflects that. 

The Americans made a target rifle (1903), the Germans made a hunting rifle (Mauser), and the Brits made a battle rifle  (Enfield)......

Angelo,

While I abhor what he did, I have a question about a Mosin Nagant that a friend gave me. I believe it 's stampted 1955 and I got it in the box still in cosmoline. What a mess that was!

It's made in Poland and really has a nice stock. My question is should I keep that one unfired as a collector piece and buy a junker to shoot? I have no idea if the one I have has value or not.

You are the expert and you would know better. I heard the ones made in Poland were of better quality.  Thanks,  John

Well, the way I see it is that they're common, but the price has been trending up in recent years. M91/30s used to be $90, now they're $150-200.

I don't think sitting on an unfired mosin will allow you to retire early, but you might be able to make a few bucks on it down the road. Only thing is I would imagine a Mosin made in 1955 has no connection to WWII (or WWI for that matter), meaning that it likely won't have that "This killed some Nat-Zees" appeal so many people like.

As for shooting the whales, I cannot condone this, as one of the Pharmacists at work said the only thing I could do with my Biology degree is get a job "Saving the Whales". lol 

Ahh, the ol' Mosin.  Honestly, if this gun weren't so cheap and widely available, it wouldn't have the allure it does.  There are better milsurp rifles out there, just all the good ones (k98, M1, M1903, Enfield) are bought up and in safes across the country.  Most of which are probably located an unsmar's place...  ;)

It's weird you mention this. I have a VZ24, but for some reason, the past two weeks I've really been sitting there thinking, "Screw it, I gotta get me a real German Mauser k98k." For some reason I've shifted a bit lately out of wanting to get more modern rifles like AK-type rifles, M14,s, and stuff like that, and have found myself pining for a K98k, or even an enfield.

I think it is a mixture of both...... The mosin is crude has fought against itself in 2 world wars, and made to be used in the harshest conditions.. Now the other milsurps like 1903s and Enfields are far more refined and the price reflects that.

The Americans made a target rifle (1903), the Germans made a hunting rifle (Mauser), and the Brits made a battle rifle (Enfield)......

I agree with the crude part. The manufacturing and tooling in Russia was never at the same level as UK, Germany or USA. That's why Finn Mosins are better made and much more expensive (and forget about American or French Mosins )

Mosins, Lees and Mausers were pretty much developed at the same time , in the era when military had to switch to smokeless powder and create new ammo within just several years. And those rifles were considered top state of the art weapons.

I believe the price also reflects the numbers of Mosins made ( if u combine Lees, K98s and M1903s made its still gonna be less than of Mosins ).

In the hands of regular soldiers all of those rifles did their job and did it well. it's when go up to precision shooting / sniping lvl you might see a difference. Althou I have to say ( again :) ) that "the white death" used Mosin with iron sights....

I have a FN FAL in factory grease, never fired hiding in PA my father bought years ago.

Have a nice M1 carbine that is new and never fired (WW2 era, original military stock) also in hiding over in PA.

Also have a C-96 and K98 from a family friend who's husband was in the Luftwaffe and escaped to the US during the end of the war...

That Mosin and Enfield and beautiful, I would never shoot them I would suggest Classicarms or AIM or J&G and pickup a shooter...