Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyB

Question on a Springfield Model 1903 Low serial #

My grandfather purchased a Springfield 1903 in cosmoline and it was never fired since he purchased it in the 50s. I did some research on it

and it leaves me with unanswered questions. The specs on the rifle are as follows.

U.S. Springfield Armory

Model 1903

Serial # 249,839

Per Records, Made in 1906

The serial on the receiver makes it unsafe to shoot

The barrel, just behind the front sight reads,

7A

A symbol that looks like flames

7   42

The bolt is not bent straight down, it curves slightly to the rear, a newer style? Not original to 1906 production.

I read of a small # of failures due to poor steel grade as well as improper heat treating techniques.

But if this was re barreled in 1942 as it seems, and the round is fully in the barrel when fired and the bolt is of the newer style,

how much does that low receiver # come into play???

Also, if they knew of the defect in the low #s, which they did. Then why would they put a 1942 barrel and newer bolt on a possibly defective receiver???

Bottom line for the experts here. Is this 1903 safe to fire???

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Because most of the failures were due to faulty rounds, I say MOST. I have seen pics of blown receivers and it is not pretty. Yours was rebuilt for ww2. So, once in awhile a firearm blows up. In combat who really sees it happen? Unless it happens to you. Just another casualty.

I have personally seen a low number shatter.   It had a 40's barrel on it and was a sporter deer gun, the guy shot it so much that he wore it out.  We went to rebarrel it and as soon as the barrel broke free the receiver shattered like a piece of glass.... needless to say I will never shoot a low number