Barms

Where to store rifle...... Very long time

So addition of new shotgun has just made the safe/cabinet too tight. I honestly don't shoot the AR anymore since I've been into sporting clays. The AR with the pistol grip and optic just clanks things around in the cabinet I'm sure you all know what I mean. Buying a bigger cabinet is a non-starter. I just don't shoot the rifle anymore.

So should I sell the rifle? Don't really "want" to. It's my only AR. And I've really got it customized my way. I really just want it "gone" for a couple of years and then reevaluate. Like will they be banned? Higher in price? Lower? Technology different in 5 years? I just want it out of the cabinet. But where do I put it? Disassemble it and put it up in the attic? I certainly wouldn't just put it in the attic still assembled that's just how carelessness happens.

What would you guys do? I'm not buying a bigger safe! Should I just sell it an move on and build next one if I get the itch years from now? I'm leaning toward wanting to keep it but just need it out of the cabinet but SAFELY away. If the advice is to stow it away disassembled how would you do it?

There are probably lots of guns underneath floorboards and in walls and such. People forget about them. 

This sounds silly, but depending on the AR you could probably disassemble it. If you could pull the stock, the tube, and the barrel it would be a very neat package.

There is no reason to sell a rifle you like.  It's pretty rare to hear stories about people being glad about getting rid of guns, even the ones they didn't shoot much. On the other hand, if you don't shoot the rifle because you don;t like it, is there really any point in keeping it?  As far as future value goes, that's anyone's guess.  Something bigger and better and more flashy could come out five years from now and all the AR rifles could loose half their value.  Or, there could be a ban on new purchases and existing ARs could triple in value.  In my opinion, the safe bet is always to keep a functional firearm.  If you won't be shooting it for a while, there are ways to prepare it for long term storage.  Pull the BCG and grease that baby up.  Cosmoline would be the obvious choice but I'm sure that there are newer less messy products that should do the trick.

**I** would keep the bolt and the lower receiver in the safe.

Take the rest apart and stash it out of sight. I would be comfortable with that.

That's what I was thinking. Put the lower/BCG in a gun sock and stand it sideways in the back of the safe against the back wall. Take the upper and just stick it somewhere.

You've pretty much made it clear you don't want to sell it.

Okay great answers so far. As far as keeping it in a case locked or whatever maybe in a closet, why I don't like that idea is that it will still be visible. A locked case in the closet would still be teasure for a thief.

So I want it "out of the way", but I want it completely non functional for safety reasons.

Renting a locker for 5 years? That would cost me a new safe would never do that.

Sell it. It will be illegal to own in 5 years.

So it will either be worth zero or it will be worth 3x as much. Ha.

For all those saying to push it to the back of the cabinet. My door barely closes now. It has to go.

I think I will disassemble, trigger lock, and put in non descript box. (So then wifey can throw it out when I'm not around. Ha ha)

Okay great answers so far. As far as keeping it in a case locked or whatever maybe in a closet, why I don't like that idea is that it will still be visible. A locked case in the closet would still be teasure for a thief.

So I want it "out of the way", but I want it completely non functional for safety reasons.

Renting a locker for 5 years? That would cost me a new safe would never do that.

I wouldn't sell it, as it is tricked out exactly the way you want. You may change your mind in a few years and want to shoot it again.

But I don't think you're going to get the "magic answer" you're looking for.

You write you want it out of your closet/safe, but you don't want to put it in a locked case and store in a closet. This may not be what you want to read, but honestly minimal disassembly and case storage is your best route. Where else are you going to store it in your house? Otherwise sell it.

Wow. You guys are all missing the tactical advantage of having an "extra gun" sitting around. Clean it, lube it up nicely, vacuum seal it, place it in an air tight case and bury it along with magazines and ammo (also air tight) in a strategic location. This way your gun is safe, out of the way, can be kept in this location for years, won't be found by a burglar and it's ready for civil unreast.

Wow. You guys are all missing the tactical advantage of having an "extra gun" sitting around. Clean it, lube it up nicely, vacuum seal it, place it in an air tight case and bury it along with magazines and ammo (also air tight) in a strategic location. This way your gun is safe, out of the way, can be kept in this location for years, won't be found by a burglar and it's ready for civil unreast.

Where's the "like" button when u need it?

SHTF:Remove electronics, stow away in safe. Get a length of pvc, break the gun down, oil the crap out of it, shove it in the tube with mags and ammo. Seal the ends and bury it. Just remember where once the commies come! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have an attic go for it.

I have some of my fathers rifles that were in storage since the early 80's, sat in the attic with a coating of oil and they were just fine and didn't rust up.

Don't sell it if you can afford to keep it, pack it away.