jrfly3006

What's the skinny on .45acp Revolvers?

Ok having some sellers remorse.Sold my custom SW Mod.15 a few years back. I liked shooting for a change of pace from the auto's.and I liked having at least one revo in the barn...I would love to get back into one but really dont want to add another caliber to the ammo stockpile.I already have a nice stash of .45...so my question is...Are there any downsides performance wise to the .45 in a revo?...What are the good models to look for?..Is it a colossal waste of time and just get a more common .357/.38.....I dont reload so thats out...Thanks all!

Smith and Wesson model 625, that's my next revolver. It's 45 acp with 6 round with moon clip version. For fast reloading. I think you can get it with out the moon clip version if that's not your thing. I reload a lot of 45 acp so that's one of my reasons. I have the 686 in 38/357, and I don't shoot it as much, due to caliber size, and lack of ammo in my possession.

The S&W 325 Thunder Ranch is a Performance Center 6-round moon clip revolver that only weighs 31 oz. empty, due to its scandium alloy frame. It also has an optional rail to mount a light if you have to use it for SD.

I have a 625 JM edition. Excellent wheel gun. Shoots 45 with and without moonclips.

Please allow me to set a few misconceptions straight. Any revolver chambered for a rimless pistol round, i.e. .45 ACP, requires moon clips for proper headspacing. There is a shoulder machined into the chamber, and you would be correct in assuming that shoulder is there for headspacing purposes. However, since SAAMI sets the specs for cartridge dimensions, the shoulder is placed at maximum case length depth for a given caliber. My experience has been that any factory ammo or brass, when new, is always considerably less than this dimension - meaning that, in reality, headspacing on that shoulder, by the case mouth, seldom actually occurs.

What does happen is that variances in chamber roundness, smoothness, cleanliness and other variables, will hold some cartridges firmly enough that a firing pin strike will ignite the primers. Others are driven forward in the chamber, which results in a light primer strike and a failure to ignite.

Just as some rounds are held tightly enough for ignition and others are driven forward, some cases may drop out of the cylinder from gravity, while others may be "pluckable" and yet others will have to be poked out using a rod.

I repeat: Any revolver chambered for a rimless pistol round requires the use of moon clips for reliable ignition & extraction. Some rimless rounds do have rimmed counterparts that obviate the necessity for moon clips. In this cae, that would be the .45 Auto Rim.

The lightweight .45 ACP revolvers (model 325's in various configurations) are specialized application guns. Lighter weight of the basic gun allows the installation of optics and/or lights without the gun becoming burdensomly heavy. Or, they make it easier to carry. Any lighter gun is going to recoil more than a heavier one. That being said, I've never found the recoil of any of my .45 ACP revolvers to be painful and I have from the lightest (2.75" 325 PD) to the heaviest (5" 625-2 or 6.5" model 25-2).

For those considering the purchase of a .45 ACP revolver, I wrote the following monograph. I hope that you find it helpful...

Moon Clips & the .45 ACP Revolver

I have read, in many forums, how people love a .45 ACP revolver, but hate having to deal with moon clips. I find that most of these complaints originate with new owners or casual shooters, who try to load/unload the clips manually, which generally results in loss of blood and bent clips (only a slight exaggeration).

All they need to do is invest in the right clips and tools to enhance their shooting experience to the point that, I’d wager, their .45 ACP revolver becomes their favorite range toy. You have spent a considerable sum on the revolver, don’t scrimp when it comes to purchasing accessories that can only enhance your experience with your new gun.

First let’s deal with the clips. The .45 ACP revolver, being the most common of the pistol-round chambered revolvers, is probably the easiest for which to find clips. However, caveat emptor, because they are common you will often find clips of unknown origin on venues like eBay, Gun Broker and the like. These can vary considerably in thickness, so my advice is to stick with known manufacturers. Here are a few…

Ranch Products

http://www.ranchproducts.com/

This website will only net you a phone number. You have to call them on the phone and talk to a real human being to place your order. I use Ranch Products clips for my five revolvers chambered in .45 ACP, and have never had a problem (this includes USPSA and IDPA competition, which can be the acid test for any product used with a firearm).

TK Custom

http://www.tkcustom.com/

This is now a full custom shop website with the emphasis on revolvers and moon clips. Tom (the owner) can machine a cylinder on what is normally a non-moon clip gun and convert it for use both with and without moon clips. I have a model 25-13, which is chambered from the factory for .45 Colt, that Tom machined so that I can now shoot .45 ACP in clips or .45 Colt in clips, speed loaders or individually. The modification adds real versatility to any revolver.

Revolver Supply Co.

http://www.revolversupply.com/

The website for all things moon clips. George (the owner) manufactures an entire line of moon clips and is very receptive to customer input. He makes both blued and plated clips.

All of the above make moon clips for other models of revolvers and various calibers. This monograph is limiting itself to the discussion of those guns chambered in .45 ACP. Look upon the other calibers as the “Advanced Course” in “moon-clipology” as there are some unique problems that may crop up with them. The .45 ACP revolvers are the easiest and most cost effective guns.

Now for the object of the most complaints – the loading and unloading of said clips. There are many tools on the market to accomplish these functions, I am going to recommend but three.

For loading…

The DeLuxe Moon Clip Tool

http://www.mooncliptool.com/

There are other websites that sell similar looking tools, but as I understand it this was the original and I feel people should be rewarded for their innovative designs. This tool bills itself as both a load and unload tool. It does a stellar job at loading clips, but there are better tools for unloading. The unloading loops on the end of this tool will do in a pinch, or if your range bag is packed to the point you aren’t able to fit in one more tool,  but see below for my suggestion.

For unloading…

Moon clip stripper tool

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/moonclip-accessories/moon-clip-stripper-prod6727.aspx

The above link is to Brownells’ website and shows one of the most effective tools for unloading your moon clips. The shank is long enough to hold all six empties that are stripped from the clip, so the unloading goes very quickly. This is a very simple tool and for those of you that are handy (I’m not) they can be easily made from a section of copper pipe or the grip area of an old golf club shaft. Simply notch the end.

For both loading and unloading…

The BMT tool

http://www.bmtequipped.com/products.php

BMT stands for “Better Mousetrap” and believe me this is the ultimate tool for both loading and unloading of your moon clips. It is a bit pricey, and it is caliber specific, but it works. Check out the video on the website as it shows how it works far better than I can explain it. I think the BMT tool is a bit of overkill for the 6-shot .45 ACP clips – for those I prefer the first two tools mentioned. I do own a BMT tool for an 8-shot revolver and think the BMT tool is the only way to go for those.

Using the above tools will make your moon clip revolver shooting experience far more enjoyable and will result in less personal injuries and few, if any, bent clips.

Invariably, in any discussion thread involving moon clips, the polymer “Rimz” clips will enter the discussion.

http://www.ezmoonclip.com/

Their claim to fame is that they are easy to load and unload without tools. If you are a casual shooter and only limber-up your moon clip gun on occasion, these may be fine for you. Because they are made of a thicker material, fit to the particular gun is more critical and they manufacture many different Rimz models to fit the various models of .45 ACP revolvers, whereas the metal clips, pretty much, work across the board – “one size fits all”. The polymer clips are not as rigid as the metal ones, nor do they hold the rounds as securely. Lastly, they are more expensive than the metal clips. The decision whether these will work best for you, is solely yours.

I prefer the metal clips since their low cost allows me to buy 50 to 100 clips (almost a lifetime supply, even for an active/competitive shooter) for a nominal amount. I can do all my actual loading and unloading of the clips at home, in front of the TV (if you are going to be mindless, you may as well be productive) and then take them to the range. I have made a rack – simply a base with 9 dowels glued in place – that will hold 27 loaded moon clips (162 rounds of .45 ACP), that fits nicely in my range bag. When I go to a match, there is no scurrying around trying to reload clips between stages, I just pull-out my pre-loaded moon clips.

I think that moon clips are the greatest invention since sliced bread. Among competitive revolver shooters they are de rigueur. As I cautioned before, moon clip revolvers in calibers other than .45 ACP may not be as simple a proposition. I went through four brands of moon clips before I found the ones that worked satisfactorily for me, with an 8-shot .38 Super. Unfortunately, the ones that worked best were $7 each – which entails quite an investment when you want enough with which to shoot an entire match. You don’t have those kinds of problems with the .45 ACP guns. Clips for the .45 ACP can run as little as $.35 each (dependent on quantity purchased) and that fat, short cartridge with a heavy round nose bullet up front, practically loads itself into your gun.

Enjoy that big-bore wheelgun.

All opinions expressed above are those of the author – Your Mileage May Vary.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The S&W 325 Thunder Ranch is a Performance Center 6-round moon clip revolver that only weighs 31 oz. empty, due to its scandium alloy frame. It also has an optional rail to mount a light if you have to use it for SD.

I just picked on up on Monday.  It's amazing.  

I bought a bunch of polymer moon clips cheap and they work great.

I just picked on up on Monday.  It's amazing.  

I bought a bunch of polymer moon clips cheap and they work great.

Glad you're enjoying it. I do too.

When appropriate, try to mount the light rail on the barrel. Some of the S&W rails were not machined to tolerance and will not lock up tight when screwed on. The set screws bottom out before the rail is tight.  If this happens, the problem is the rail itself; not the barrel or the set screws. Get a new one from S&W.

The Voice Of Experience.

Great timing for this thread as I've been considering a .45acp revo too lately. Anyone know of a 5" or greater .45 revolver?

New production 4 inch will be the best you can do.

you can find a used older variant , model 25-2 came in a 6.5 inch barrel.

Model 625-2,-3,-4 all came in 5 inch barrels.these are often referred to as " model of 1988 or 1989 " 625s

Glad you're enjoying it. I do too.

When appropriate, try to mount the light rail on the barrel. Some of the S&W rails were not machined to tolerance and will not lock up tight when screwed on. The set screws bottom out before the rail is tight.  If this happens, the problem is the rail itself; not the barrel or the set screws. Get a new one from S&W.

The Voice Of Experience.

Thank you.

how do you do moon clips in a single action revolver?  Do you have to remove the cylinder each time??

No moon clips - they actually do headspace on a shoulder in the chamber, since with a S/A extraction isn't a problem - you're poking out each individual case regardless whether it is rimmed or rimless.

There are Ruger single actions that have .45 ACP capability...

null-2.jpg

My New Vaquero in .45 Colt, with .45 ACP conversion cylinder. Works just the same as the rimmed round.

Me likey, likey!  That things's beautiful. Thanks Screwball. I'm checking one of them out ASAP!

11825043034_2a4b1dca60_c.jpg

Just for the uninitiated, if Alec will allow: That is a 625 frame with a 325 titanium cylinder (or it's so dirty I can't tell the difference between that & SS) and a 25-2 barrel. Alec bobbed the hammer and installed the Weigand rear sight blade and SDM front FO as well as the Hogue cylinder release and the no-finger-groove, checkered Big Butt grips. Alec is a Master Class revolver shooter in USPSA. Something we can all aspire to.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You guys are a very bad influence on me (and my bank balance)

I'm a firm believer that anything less than .45acp is just that, LESS

And I've got quite a few .45acp autos, including series 70 and 80 Gold Cups and a SA WWII repro purchased from another member a few years ago.

And a small stack of XD45s

I really REALLY like .45acp

But I didn't have a .45acp revolver  :-(

This past Wednesday I took my new made-in-china Stevens 320 shotgun to the range to break it in and made my way home via almost every gun shop between Millville and Hoodbury.  My wish list has some oddball stuff on it, but you know, it never hurts to ask anyway. I did manage to score a couple of pounds of Varget, so I'm good for about 500 more match .223 rounds.  No luck on Bond Arms derringer barrels though. And no one had any .45acp revolvers either.  Single action convertible Rugers or double action Colts or Smiths. Oh well. Not a total loss having picked up some Varget.

I'm out yesterday running errands and my cellphone rings. It's a dealer I had seen on Wednesday and he's got a customer in front of him looking to trade in his 10 year old, hardly fired (less than 1 box) S&W 625-8  He had my number in his book for when he scores some 8 pounders of Varget and remembered me from the day before.  He quotes me a pretty good price (though I didn't know that until after I got home and searched GunsAmerica and GunBroker) and after sleeping on it for one night, I got up and literally pulled the trigger on it this morning.

Factory tight lockup, barely a turn line on the cylinder, 5" bbl, includes 10 full moon clips (3 of which are not perfectly flat) and a really nice set of fancy wood grips on the gun, with the factory rubber grips in the blue box.

So now I need to put in for some permits on Monday. The gun is paid for in full and all that's down at the dealers is the frame (I have the cylinder and all the extra goodies) in the blue box. With the horror stories of dealers selling guns that were paid for out from under the purchasers, I didn't want to take any chances.

I'm looking forward to taking possession and getting this beauty out to the range as soon as possible.

Thanks guys, for helping me spend my children's inheritance!