Sign in to follow this  
Xchange1980

Question

So ill get right to it. I broke up with my girlfriend and have to abruptly move out. Am I OK transporting my guns to my business and keeping them in the safe there until I secure a new place to live?

if you own the business, then just secure them as per the law, and i think you should be ok.

Depending on how civil/not civil these things are.....

If the breakup was ugly, I would suggest selling long arms to friends and keeping your handgun in a rented locker at RTSP or in a legal place. Women (and men) have been known to be psychotic and kick people while they are down. If your ex feels like being vengeful she can call the police and say you are suicidal, threatened her, or simply "running around with guns". 

Trust is not a redeeming value at this point.  If you are moving out on such short notice I would seriously consider secure storage for even a short period of time.  People under stress can be convinced to do things they would not even consider under any other circumstances. NJ laws are bad news, protect yourself if you value your gun rights, whether necessary or not.  All it will cost is a little money that is all. Once the state gets involved it is nothing less than one big sh$tstorm.  And,  you have to get them back in this state otherwise if you let them go you will lose you rights to own again forever in this God forsaken state and possibly anywhere you go. Cover your nut, my friend!

Legal to transport, in the manner required, between your home and business that you own.

If the break up was bad and there's any possibility of a restraining order, talk to a lawyer and get advice on how to protect your guns.  There may be nothing you can do to keep them but a lawyer would know.

If I was in a situation where a restraining order was a possibility, I'd sell everything I had to family OUT IF STATE in advance and keep all of the paperwork to prove I had no guns.

I'd be afraid that selling them in state would just expose more people to midnight raids to get the guns I just sold.

Legal to transport, in the manner required, between your home and business that you own.

If the break up was bad and there's any possibility of a restraining order, talk to a lawyer and get advice on how to protect your guns.  There may be nothing you can do to keep them but a lawyer would know.

If I was in a situation where a restraining order was a possibility, I'd sell everything I had to family OUT IF STATE in advance and keep all of the paperwork to prove I had no guns.

I'd be afraid that selling them in state would just expose more people to midnight raids to get the guns I just sold.

Well only the handguns right? The long guns there should be no record right? Just playing a scenario here: cops show up. "Sir we need your handguns and rifles." "I sold the handguns I don't own any rifles". " she says you have an AR15." "She must be confused I don't own an AR15, can you prove it?"

Didnt we cover the topic of tracing long gun records through dealer books (unless face to face). Ofcourse, depends on how far up they want to hook you.

But lying doesnt look like smart idea if it comes to that..

Especially since it's now been mentioned on a public forum... Thankfully not by the OP. It seems as if it's an amicable breakup and he just needs a place to put stuff until he re-settles.

Sorry for the breakup, they suck. Good luck.

C

You guys missed the point. The above poster put in capitali letters OUT OF STATE and have paperwork to prove it. If we fight so much for our rights to do FTF and COE then why would you go out if your way to PROVE a sale? Thats my point.

You're telling the guy to produce a piece of paper fir when there might not even be a piece of paper showing he even owned? See the difference?

So correct you do not lie. But I'm not producing paperwork if they are sold. Screw that. "They are gone". And if they thought I did an illegal transfer (which I would not) they can go ahead and try to charge me with that. Good luck

If you are unraveling a relationship finding an out of state buyer is last on your list. I applaud the idea of the sale to protect your property though.. And I think it was great this topic was brought up for anybody else who even THINKS they could be in a bad relationship. Get those puppies out of the house

So ill get right to it. I broke up with my girlfriend and have to abruptly move out. Am I OK transporting my guns to my business and keeping them in the safe there until I secure a new place to live?

Yes you are perfectly fine if you are the owner of said business.