dajonga

Adding bayonet to Russian SKS?

I found a nice Russian SKS at a LGS. I may bring it home tomorrow if it made it through the weekend.

The price seems reasonable to me, perhaps because it does not include the bayo or cleaning rod (making it unattractive to purists?)

I really have no need for one, as this will be a fun range toy, but is it hard to find and add a correct Russian bayonet after the fact?

I know there are blade and spike bayonets for the SKS. Is the Russian blade the same as the Yugo?

Thanks.

What year is it? I believe after late 40's production (I think 1950 maybe?), Russia and a few other countries switched from blade to spike bayonets  but some SKSers with more knowledge will be able to add info in here or correct me.

Finding a bayo shouldn't be hard. Just make sure you get a deal on the gun since it doesn't come with that.

Thanks guys.

I do not know much about it, just that it was clean with nice wood. I will check numbers, firing pin, chamber and bore condition tomorrow.

What numbers am I looking to match?

They are asking $399. I have seen ugly Yugos going for 350 or more in the not so distant past, so a nice looking Russian for 400 seems ok.

I appreciate the info.

Chinese SKS uses spike Bayonets

Syno-Chinese (Russian / Chinese calaboration) used both Blade (early years) & Spike (later generations)

Russian SKS always used blade Bayonets

If memory serves me, there were two or three variation on the blade bayonet depending upon the mfg.

(Russian, Yugo, Albanian, ect.)

I had a chance to purchase an unissued Russian SKS for $400-450. By the time I decided to buy it it had sold for something like $300. I wound up buying one for $500, almost new, with the bayo and accessories. IMO it is not a safe harlot. It's a gun to enjoy. 

Just wondering, as I've been curious about this with SKS rifles. I know that those with detachable magazines are banned, why is this? Is it due to the fact they usually have the bayonets attached? I was under the impression almost all SKS rifles had fixed magazines from the get-go, and that detachable mags were a modification.

I had a chance to purchase an unissued Russian SKS for $400-450. By the time I decided to buy it it had sold for something like $300. I wound up buying one for $500, almost new, with the bayo and accessories. IMO it is not a safe harlot. It's a gun to enjoy.

I'll give you $600 for it. When and where are we meeting up?:lol:

Sorry for the delay. I just got done with work.

It was meant to be!!! Gun was still at L&H AND work took me to within 5 miles of it this morning.

It looks like I have a re-arsenaled 1952 Tula. CDI of Swan VT import markings. As far as I can tell, the stock is wood, not laminate and was force matched. The gas tube was electro-pencil forced matched. All other numbers match, and seem legit.

Bore and chamber look very good. It has what appears to be a never used cleaning kit in the stock. I have yet to take it down, but the dealer says if I encounter anything amiss, they will stand behind the gun.

To say I am pleased is an understatement. I have wanted a clean SKS for some time, but never found the right one at the right time. I briefly owned a beater of a Yugo a few years ago, but it did not work right and I did not love it enough to fix it. That grenade launcher on the front was not to my liking.

Funny....I was told that the bayonet was removed by the head gun guy when it came in because it was illegal to sell the gun with it on. I know that is wrong, but whatever. I may call him in a few days and see if he has any vintage Russian hunting knives to sell. Then, a cleaning rod, a few thousand rounds of Tula steel case ammo and I am good to go. I still have my replica commie sling leftover from the yugo in the basement.

Thanks to all for the advice.

IMG_2353_zpsrqx1trjb.jpg

IMG_2354_zpskg5fqdqb.jpg

IMG_2355_zpsvqixvsml.jpg

IMG_2356_zps1tdyyzrx.jpg

Nice!

I have a '53 Tula in similar shape to yours. Definitely a fun gun to shoot. Even more fun than my AR. 

Do you have a black bolt? Also, watch your finger if you look for the cleaning kit.

Will do. I am planning on shooting it a lot.

I called the shop to ask about any SKS bayonets they might have sitting around. They said they have none. That is their story...so be it.

I may need a road trip to Sarco in PA to see if they have orphaned bayonets.

Are all blade bayos the same?

Depends, Early Russians have a Straight Cut Collar.HARD to find and Expensive.......Laters will use any.

If the collar is NOT Straight on Both sides like the pic. Any blade will work

the one that will take any will be STRAIGHT on one side and SLANTED on the other.......

post-5847-0-16407200-1425439117_thumb.jpg

302w & Ogfarmer,

Many thanks for the tips. I was just looking on Yooper's site. Nice place to get a quick SKS education.

I do indeed have the straight cut collar. The rarity is probably why the bayonet was yanked before the sale. Oh well, this is just a fun range toy. I will keep my eyes open, but I will not kill myself searching for one. 

If I ever need a bayonet to repel the hordes of hell, I will whip out my Mossberg 590 wearing a M7.