Teky0101

Best Turkey Load

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be going on my first Turkey hunt this year and I was looking into gear. I was wondering if someone could recommend a shotgun load that patterns really well for medium to long range distance turkey hunting. Are their certain flight control loads which will maximize a small impact zone for a head shot? Thank you for the help!

I take it since you're asking for load recommendations you have the scattergun already?  And possibly the ability to load and customize your own shells?  More info please so we can help.

And yes, there are tricks of the trade as far as changing-out shotgun wads, powders, etc. to give you more punch at greater ranges for a head shot.

Keeping in mind that the same shell patterns differently in different guns, please inform us the gun in question and other pertinent details.

Dave

Something to keep in mind is that how a load patterns for someone else is irrelevant. Each gun is slightly different, each choke is slightly different. Pick up a box of each load suitable, take them to the patterning board with your full, extra-full or turkey choke and find out which one works best for you.

Much emphasis is placed on the question "what is the best turkey load to use" when it boils down to limited selection of shot sizes 4,5 & 6 as the best to use.  

"Best" because these shot sizes provide a payload that provides a balance of dense pattern efficiency in the right payload weights, and retained energy on target for a quick kill at the normal ranges you would typically take a turkey. Find a load with a pellet size  that retains 2.5 ft./lbs. of energy at the range you want to hit a turkey in his vital section, and you have found your load.

What has blossomed in the last twenty-five years are specialty turkey loads. I think it's a great advertising gimmick, since their components started as re-packaged loads that mimic the old lead duck & goose loads from the pre-steel days when lead ruled the waterfowl flyways. A combination of hard lead shot, copper-plated or nickel-plated often nestled in buffer, makes for a tight-shooting load, and one best suited for turkey. The heavier-than-lead shot/non-lead loads are the latest craze these days. However, I find it difficult to stomach paying more than $5 a shotshell simply because it's labeled a turkey load.

If you are going to turkey hunt, as much emphasis should be placed on the hunter to exercise proper concealment, when and how to call, finding and patterning birds in varying weather conditions especially during the weeks of the segmented seasons in New Jersey. The first week is usually easy; birds haven't been shot at or called to much and they can be easy to take if they are responding. As the season progresses, more hunters have traipsed through the woods, the birds have heard every call thrown at them, and they tend to go call-shy and are more difficult to take. They have this great ability to vanish when they are pressured.

I took my first turkey about twenty years ago, at a range of less than 20 yards. At that distance, I realized that I didn't need to wallop him with a 1 7/8 oz. buffered load of copper-plated #5's. That was overkill. A HV pheasant load of #6's would have produced the same result.

Do some patterning of various "turkey" loads, but work on your turkey hunting skills as well. If you get the game within close range, you'll realize you don't need much to kill them. It's a thrill to have a turkey come within twelve feet of you, unaware of your presence, as he's gobbling his head off. If folks are using small shot (#9's) in a 16 ga. (fellow on the 16ga.forum has a great post on the subject) or only 1 1/8 oz. to 1 1/4 oz. of lead shot from a 20 ga. to kill turkeys, you will realize that don't need those 3 1/2" turkey-smitter flamethrower loads in a 12 ga. to do the same thing.

^^^^Once again Parker proves it's NOT the machine, but the MACHINIST that matters the most!  BRAVO Sir!

Since we don't even know the gauge of the OP's scattergun, we can't recommend "loads", either home-manufactured or commercially available.  Hopefully he'll check back-in soon.

FWIW I have friends who call-in Toms close enough to hit 'em with CYLINDER BORE MUZZLELOADERS.  LOL, NO shells available for THOSE!

Thank you everyone for the help. To provide a bit more information I am using a Mossberg 585 12 gage in hardwoods camo. I currently have a ported turkey choke which I plan on using for the hunt. I unfortunately do not have the equipment for the loading at this time and would like to purchase some good commercial loads off the shelf. Does anyone have any good recommendations? The shotgun does have a 3 1/2" chamber so I am open to using the full power of the load. Thank you for your help.

the Mossbergs i shot favored Winchester ammo. I honestly haven't seen the benefit of 3 1/2" ammo. is more expensive and recoil is insane. I 've killed a few with 3" Winchester supreme #5s. this season im trying a 20gauge and im using the hevi shot blend in 3" 20ga. it a mixture of 5, 6, and 7 shot.  in NJ you cant use shot smaller than 7 1/2. just an fyi.

If you had to pick one shell/brand I'd go with 3" Winchester in 5s. shoot at 20, 30 and 40  yards. use the free targets off of the NJ fish game site(you print them).

Nick  

Thank you everyone for the help. To provide a bit more information I am using a Mossberg 585 12 gage in hardwoods camo. I currently have a ported turkey choke which I plan on using for the hunt. I unfortunately do not have the equipment for the loading at this time and would like to purchase some good commercial loads off the shelf. Does anyone have any good recommendations? The shotgun does have a 3 1/2" chamber so I am open to using the full power of the load. Thank you for your help.

You don't need 3 1/2" shells, and you just might find that 3" shells will pattern nicely through your 3 1/2" chamber. Try a mix from Federal, Winchester and Remington. There are others out there as well and non-lead loads are also popular.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/turkey/10-great-turkey-loads-2014/

Both turkeys I've shot were with 2&3/4in shells that I had floating around, I think they were #4. I shot them both with my O/U with a full choke within about 25 yards. You don't need anything magical. As mentioned above, once you know what your gun can do with a particular load, shooting them once they are in range is the easy part.

I would recommend patterning the load you bought.  I have found that 3" loads pattern much better than 3 1/2" loads in all of my 12ga guns.  The only gun I have that patterns 3 1/2" loads really well is my Browning Gold 10.  You may find that the load you bought works great or it may have big holes in the pattern.  The only way to find out is to pattern on paper from the distances you plan on shooting.

I would recommend patterning the load you bought.  I have found that 3" loads pattern much better than 3 1/2" loads in all of my 12ga guns.  The only gun I have that patterns 3 1/2" loads really well is my Browning Gold 10.  You may find that the load you bought works great or it may have big holes in the pattern.  The only way to find out is to pattern on paper from the distances you plan on shooting.

+1

Teky0101- Buy a few loads to test. 

I note that today's factory loads place an emphasis on speed, with a slight reduction in payload size (I.E. 1 3/4 oz. pushed @ 1300fps.) so that pellets have the necessary energy at all ranges.

Spend an equal amount of time afield scouting for and patterning birds. It's easy to locate their tracks now.

Thank you everyone. I am hope to get out soon to pattern. I also have a 3 1/2 Remington Turkey load to pattern. I was wondering if the shot size makes a difference I purchased number 5 from Dicks since that's all they offered but they also make number 4 in the long beard.

I use Federal 3.5" turkey loads, have tried Remington as well the Federal just patterns better out of my gun. I would definitely put a few different shells through your gun on paper before you decide what to settle on. The only problem with that is its expensive to do so. A box of 3.5" turkey loads aren't cheap and they only come in boxes of 10. I shoot turkey with a Browning Maxus with an X-full invector + extended turkey choke. My Mossberg 935 with the X-full ultimag extended turkey choke patterns Remington 3.5" better on paper. There's a free turkey head target download available on the njfishandwildlife.com website to help you pattern.

Another tip: go buy your turkey shells now! Once the season is actually here its slim pickings in the stores for shells.

This is what I'm using again this year, gun is staying home. Posted Image

I just don't enjoy gun hunting anymore, not enough of a challenge for me after 27 year's of killing.

Thank you everyone. I am hope to get out soon to pattern. I also have a 3 1/2 Remington Turkey load to pattern. I was wondering if the shot size makes a difference I purchased number 5 from Dicks since that's all they offered but they also make number 4 in the long beard.

Not much of a difference between #4 & #5 to make too much difference. More pellets in #5 so more chances of a kill. It only takes one pellet in the right place to do the job. You're looking for a 20-35 yard shot, with turkey loads to be most effective. Also shoulder that gun tight. Turkey loads, especially 3.5" kick pretty hard out of a pump.

One more thing are you going alone? Or with someone that knows how to call? The hardest part isn't pulling the trigger on them. It's getting them to come into your set. You can't stalk turkey, it's illegal and a great way to wind up shot by another hunter. Turkey have insanely great eyesight! They can actually see you blink from 100 yards away. Practice being perfectly still for long periods of time. And use extremely slow movements if you need to adjust for a shot. Really a blind is one of the best methods to stay consealed for newbies. A two man team is a great way to hunt turkey one shooter one caller.

Whatever you do, and this is important!

Don't go out now locating with calls now. You don't want to educate the turkey in your spot. Look for tracks, ground scratching. A lot of skat, and feathers under trees in one spot is a good sign of a roosting area. Great spot to slip into before the sun comes up. Turkey sleep in trees at night and jump down just before or at first light. That's your best chance of seeing one usually. Have a plan before you go out, it's hard walking around in the dark woods trying to find a roosting area bumping into bears lol. That's always a good time in the pitch black. I mark my trail in with reflective thumb tacks in the trees to help me find my already set up the day before blind. Good luck this season, hope you kill a big Tom!

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for the advice. I picked up another pack of 4 shot Winchesters to try and pattern in addition to the long beard #5. My brother and I are both going on the hunt along with a guide. Perhaps I see if the guide has a blind we can use. What types of call should I purchase? Also good luck on everyone's hunts this year as well! It would be great to post up a couple pictures once the hunt is over on this message to see what everyone achieved. Thank you again.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for the advice. I picked up another pack of 4 shot Winchesters to try and pattern in addition to the long beard #5. My brother and I are both going on the hunt along with a guide. Perhaps I see if the guide has a blind we can use. What types of call should I purchase? Also good luck on everyone's hunts this year as well! It would be great to post up a couple pictures once the hunt is over on this message to see what everyone achieved. Thank you again.

As far as calling goes for a beginner I would recommend a box call. Or possibly a pot call/slate. Mouth calls take a good bit of practice before taking then to the field. Many beginner calls come with a instructional DVD or cd to practice with. It takes some time to learn to talk turkey. Practice, practice, practice, is my best advice. Or leave the calling to the guide, and just be the trigger man for the first time out.

I was at East Stroudsburg Walmart yesterday, and they were loaded up with turkey rounds. If your looking for any. They had a lot of choices in Federal, Winchester, and Remington. Prices were very reasonable.

I use Federal 3.5" turkey loads, have tried Remington as well the Federal just patterns better out of my gun. I would definitely put a few different shells through your gun on paper before you decide what to settle on. The only problem with that is its expensive to do so. A box of 3.5" turkey loads aren't cheap and they only come in boxes of 10. I shoot turkey with a Browning Maxus with an X-full invector + extended turkey choke. My Mossberg 935 with the X-full ultimag extended turkey choke patterns Remington 3.5" better on paper. There's a free turkey head target download available on the njfishandwildlife.com website to help you pattern.

Another tip: go buy your turkey shells now! Once the season is actually here its slim pickings in the stores for shells.

This is what I'm using again this year, gun is staying home. 2129fa8214718a28b60c1b9110544ff4.jpg

I just don't enjoy gun hunting anymore, not enough of a challenge for me after 27 year's of killing.

Are you using the Guillotine broadheads?  Or something else?

Are you using the Guillotine broadheads? Or something else?

Those are Rage mechanical turkey. The guillotine style are a gimmick. I prefer a dead bird with a body shot. With a gun yeah aim for the head. With a bow that big ass 2.5" in diameter guillotine hits a blade of grass on the way, missed shot from deflection. Just my opinion from experience.

I don't use mechanical broadheads for deer either, had too many problems. I'm a believer in G5 Montec heads. They can't fail.

Hello Everyone,

Push button calls are the easiest to use and master, box calls give you good volume, "pot calls" made from slate or glass are another way to mix things up. Mouth calls take practice to master but are the ticket for when birds get in close and calling hands-free is needed, unless you're in a blind which would hide any movement. Don't forget your locator calls like an owl or crow.

I practice calling in areas that are closed to hunting, including my local neighborhood, that has a population of turkeys. You learn quickly what they will respond to.

If you have a guide that's a good thing. :Learn from him.

I heard about another type of broadhead made my Dead Ringer called Kill Switch. It has a 5" cutting surface! I wonder how well they work?

https://deadringerhunting.com/product/kill-switch/

Same thing as a Guillotine but re invented with a new name. Everyone I know that tried anything like these hated them and missed birds. They would be great if you were hunting turkey on a perfectly flat parking lot of black top. In the real world there are variables that can cause failure with these broad heads. Shooting turkey with a bow isn't easy to begin with. Don't fall for the gimmicks, go with something that's proven to work. Just my opinion, but it's one from years of killing and missing turkey.

+1 on push button calls, they do work well, until you get mouth calling down. I practice my mouth calling while I drive around during the day for work. If I do it at home I get yelled at lol. It kills time while sitting in traffic. Also if I see turkey I roll down the window and mess with them hahahh.

Thank you! I will check into a couple push calls. Do you know of any good ones?

I have a Primos Bomb Shell in my vest. I bought it for the ability to mount it on the side of the gun, and operate via pull stiring. It calls in birds.

Thank you! I will check into a couple push calls. Do you know of any good ones?

I have a pair of old Knight & Hale "fighting purr" push calls. I just noticed they changed the desgn of them so can't vouch for the newer style. Quaker Boy makes a simple push call as well.

I usually would get my calls from Midwest Call Supply. They also have some good deals during their year-end close-out sales. They'll be happy to send you a catalog:

http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/index.asp

FYI -

Dave Chanda, NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife Director and expert turkey hunter, will present a free Wild Turkey Hunting Seminar at the Pequest Trout Hatchery and Natural Resource Education Center in Oxford this Saturday, March 21 at 1:00 p.m.

The seminar will cover turkey feeding habits and food sources, equipment selection, preseason site selection, and calling strategies. Immediately following the seminar members of the NJ Chapter of the Wild Turkey Federation will conduct a turkey calling clinic.

To register call 908-637-4125; see http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/peqdirct.htm for directions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To add to the above post. Dave is a great guy, we work with him often being in the the federation. The swap meet is also pretty good if you get there early on Saturday. Good amount of stuff out there for sale at decent prices. You can pick up a ton of hunting and fishing gear there. If you're bringing kids take them to the fishing pond to catch some trout. It's free. I worked the pond last year the kids had a blast, they Really load it up for the open house with some good sized trout. It's catch and release. They provide everything poles, bait, and guy's like me there to help net, untangle messes, and teach kids to cast/tie hooks.

They also have the shotgun range set up for anyone that wants to try shooting clays. Guns, ammo, and instructors are all provided free as well. For first time adults and kids.