wweng

Ruger Charger question

I'm wondering is it possible to get the stock cut down to get the weight below 50 oz and be legal. It looks like you could take a little off in front of the bipod mount and also off the bottom of the stock behind the bipod mount.

It can only be done by an FFL07. They must also stamp their info on it, as it is being remanufactured.

ETA: Recent advertising by Ruger and personal measurement found that the weight is under 50 ounces.

I believe that there is a problem with the magazine being separate from the grip, as well.

One of the take-down chargers would be a really neat thing to have.  Unfortunately, the Repuplik doesn't support freedom.

It can only be done by an FFL07. They must also stamp their info on it, as it is being remanufactured.

Paul - couldn't that be look as as making it be NJ compliant like shaving a bayo lug and be done by an 01 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not according to ATF. Anything other than cosmetic changes needs to be done by a manufacturer, and they must stamp their info on it. Altering firearms on a customer's gun is gunsmithing and can be done by any dealer. Of course, the Charger can not be transferred on paper until the changes are made.

ETA: IMO, altering the stock is a cosmetic change. 

Have it shipped to an FFL that can make the alterations, have them drill out holes under the barrel portion of the stock.. I dont see why you couldn't shed 3 grams to put you safely under 50oz, or get the barrel fluted.. problem is i would be concerned to even add a nicer grip in fear of adding weight.

I edited the original picture to where the stock needs to be cut, leaving the mount and flush with the trunnion to look cosmetically right. Taking suggestions on the brake, crowning or nut, keeping in mind the weight is close.

Looking at the mfgr specs, the weight of 3.1 lb = 49.6 oz which makes it jersey-legal without a stock trim.

As to the muzzle, I'd be inclined to hit the protector/barrel joint with 4 equidistant tack welds, clean them up with a dremel and birchwood casey black pen.

Less muss and fuss than doing woodworking and recrowning the barrel.

Biggest downside is it still has a crap 10/22 trigger unless you drop in the $75 factory upgrade or a more expensive one, like a Volquartsen.

We looked into this as we had a lot of folks asking...short answer is since the weight of the gun exceeds the 48oz nonsense from the factory its not NJ compliant, regardless of what weight you do to it "aftermarket".......we have an 07 and a NJ State manufacturers license. I guess in theory we could mess with it, get it down below the 50oz, stamp the receiver with Howell Gun Works LLC, Howell NJ, submit a manufacturing report, pay an excise tax...........which would make a cool affordable pistol quite expensive and time consuming.....hardly worth it.

This is another example of NJ Firearms regulations being extremely stupid..........

I've emailed Ruger a couple of times over the last few years to suggest a NJ compliant model.  Checked the spec sheets today, they still say 50oz.

NJ's law says a "manufactured weight" under 50 oz.  I assume that it could be converted with someone with a manufacturer's license but that would make it an awfully expensive gun.