Kevin125

So I'm in Dick's Sports last night buying ammo....

There was an email coupon for 12/20 ga. target loads. So I figured I'd get some.  I already bought the last couple boxes that HGW had in stock.

While I was there someone else was buying some 5.56 rounds that were also on sale.  The clerk told the buyer he needed to see his NJ FID because anything that was a single projectile (as opposed to a shotshell with bird/buck shot in it) required thems seeing and recording the FID info. 'State law' the kid says.

I had no time to stick around but I plan to go back and speak to someone with more experience. I know someone there is a member at CJRPC. And a number of other guys behind the counter shoot. So I'll ask them about this "requirement" of theirs.  Seems like a store policy or they just don't understand what the law actually requires them to do.

I don't know of any production handgun that was intended to shoot 5.56 so no idea why they would have to record 5.56 sales.  The only thing they should do is request to see proof of age. And they do that at check out.

Anyone else run into this at Dick's or anywhere else?

Here's the relevant law.

(b) Every retail dealer of ammunition shall maintain a permanent record of ammunition
acquisition and disposition. The record of purchase or acquisition shall consist of invoices or
other commercial records, which shall be filed in an orderly manner separate from other
commercial records maintained. Such records sha
ll show the name of the manufacturer, the type,
caliber or gauge, quantity of the ammunition acquired in the transaction, the date of each
acquisition and from whom received. The record of sale or disposition shall be maintained in a
bound form and shall contain the date of the transaction, name of manufacturer, caliber or gauge,
quantity of ammunition sold, name, address and date of birth of purchaser, and identification
used to establish the identity of purchaser. The dealer shall confirm the age of the purchaser of
rifle and shotgun ammunition to be at least 18, and handgun ammunition to be at least 21. No
record need be maintained for the sale or disposition of shotgun or rifle ammunition. However,
sales or other dispositions of ammunition intended for use in any other firearm and which may
be interchangeable between rifles and handguns, as well as hollow-nosed or dum-dum
ammunition, must be recorded. The records shall be maintained in chronological order by date of
acquisition and disposition and shall be kept at the location the business is being conducted.

Makes me inclined to not bother going there for Ammo if they want to impose more requirements.  I could see them asking for a DL before they remove the ammo from their locked storage....  It's not that big of a deal, but I don't think I like retail stores adding to the regs.

... I don't know of any production handgun that was intended to shoot 5.56 so no idea why they would have to record 5.56 sales.

Really? I would say the 70% of AR manufacturers make a pistol chambered in 5.56mm/.223Rem.

Makes me inclined to not bother going there for Ammo if they want to impose more requirements.  I could see them asking for a DL before they remove the ammo from their locked storage....  It's not that big of a deal, but I don't think I like retail stores adding to the regs.

They can ask all they want, but it might be hard for a blind man/woman to produce a DL.....

FWIW blind folks have the same rights YOU do!  No where is it written that sight is required to own guns or ammo...........  But we all have to pass a road test to drive, lol!

Dicks ARE DICKS, lol, so just either get used to it or buy elsewhere.

Well, the law says only HPs and ammunition designed to be fired from a handgun need be logged. The NJSP FIU tells dealers to log HPs and any ammo that can be chambered in a handgun.

And it's hand written (no electronic record permitted) in some of the worst handwriting I have ever seen. 

Because the NJSP FIU person who inspects it really doesn't inspect it, from my experience.

Really? I would say the 70% of AR manufacturers make a pistol chambered in 5.56mm/.223Rem.

not NJ compliant but the PLR-16  is another .233/5.56 pistol 

Clearly, I don't know much about pistols chambering 5.56.  Thanks for the education.

Store policy.

So there's a log... so what?  

The log doesn't bother me so much.  Just the annoyance of wanting to see my FID.  I don't normally carry it around because I don't want to lose it.  I'll won't be buying ammo there again.

The log doesn't bother me so much.  Just the annoyance of wanting to see my FID.  I don't normally carry it around because I don't want to lose it.  I'll won't be buying ammo there again.

Yeah - anything that can be potentially be used in a pistol, and there are AR and AK "pistols"... *shrug*..

There are single shot pistols that shoot .223 also - Thompson Contender:

contender.jpg

If I need it, and it's a good deal, I put up with it.  I carry my FID anyway... Heck - make a copy on yellow paper and laminate it if you're that worried.

Wait a cotton pickin minute, you can buy ammo in NJ?  :)   I always buy it online, don't have to deal with all this crap that way.  I also save on gasoline as it comes to me :)

The one time I bought ammo at Dick's, it was 12GA and .410... They didn't ask for my FID for the 12GA but they did for the .410 (I have a Governor so I was expecting it).

I don't remember which store it was, unfortunately, but they didn't require anything outside of what the law says.

I bought 2 boxes of .556 at Dick's in Deptford, NJ.2 days ago.The kid just handed it to me. I then asked for a box of 9mm and he asked for my FPID to put the 9mms in the book.

I never showed ID in that store for 30.06, .556/.223, 30-30 etc. Only for cut and dry handgun ammo.

I stopped going to Dicks after they dicked me by send two defective safes via freight to my home...

I buy online and have it shipped.

As posted above, make a copy (better yet, scan with highest setting) the FPID card and produce a backup to carry. I keep mine on me 24/7 (it's in my wallet where it should be) but the store is enforcing it's own policy as I've been told rifle/shotgun ammo is good to go with DL for age only, FPID is needed for handgun ammo.

I bought 2 boxes of .556 at Dick's in Deptford, NJ.2 days ago.The kid just handed it to me. I then asked for a box of 9mm and he asked for my FPID to put the 9mms in the book.

I never showed ID in that store for 30.06, .556/.223, 30-30 etc. Only for cut and dry handgun ammo.

tell them it's for a carbine, you have a Marlin Camp 9mm carbine ;)

They ripped off thousands of gun owners after Sandy Hook. People paid ~ $750 for some high quality ARs on special, in cash, in advance, and the guns were in the store ready to pick up. They refused to let the owners pick them up.

They resold the same rifles (your rifle) for $2K to other people.

Now this somehow doesn't sink in for some of you. Let's forget the part that they took away an AR you already paid for during a time when you suddenly couldn't buy an AR for any price. Apparently that doesn't offend any of you. Let's try an analogy.

Let's say you buy $750 of Apple stock. The next day it goes up to $2000 and your brokerage says, "Sorry, we took that stock back from you, it's not yours." And they sell your stock to someone else for $2000. Does that register?

Many NJ people don't care if they are seriously screwed over on firearms so I took the firearms and the worst part out and just made it plain money to see if that will stick.

I hope their ammo has AIDS.

They ripped off thousands of gun owners after Sandy Hook. People paid ~ $750 for some high quality ARs on special, in cash, in advance, and the guns were in the store ready to pick up. They refused to let the owners pick them up.

They resold the same rifles (your rifle) for $2K to other people.

Now this somehow doesn't sink in for some of you. Let's forget the part that they took away an AR you already paid for during a time when you suddenly couldn't buy an AR for any price. Apparently that doesn't offend any of you. Let's try an analogy.

Let's say you buy $750 of Apple stock. The next day it goes up to $2000 and your brokerage says, "Sorry, we took that stock back from you, it's not yours." And they sell your stock to someone else for $2000. Does that register?

Many NJ people don't care if they are seriously screwed over on firearms so I took the firearms and the worst part out and just made it plain money to see if that will stick.

I hope their ammo has AIDS.

I will never ever give them another penny! the two safes they shipped me were scrap and had massive dents, couldn't refuse the freight since it wasn't obvious until the bands were broken/pallet discarded/mile of plastic wrap removed...

They shipped a second, same thing and basically told me "tough, it's on you". Got corporate on the phone and they sent me a third safe.

Anyway when UPS freight came to pickup the two safes I know the driver and told him to make sure it never gets back to them...to this day (2 years later) they never got them back...they were lost in freight ;)

Oh and I filed a charge back with AMEX and they refunded me for all three safes, so I ended up paying nothing for the good one and got my money back for the clunkers they sold me.

Horrible company IMO and what you posted about the AR's makes me sick.

So you stole from them.

No, they stole from me and sold me JUNK.

Thank god for AMEX, they took care of it and told Dicks to refund me or they would initiate a reversal...Dicks told them no and AMEX made good.

Sending some TWO VERY EXPENSIVE safes that are DAMAGED not from shipping but bad stock and refusing to pay return freight, replace the product, etc. that is not legitimate practice any business should engage in.

Edit: And they floated my money (several thousand dollars) for months and made interest on it...now that's stealing!