jm1827

Cheek weld ?

HI everyone,

I finally finished my AR build and took the gun out for a test drive.  Everything worked great, the gun cycled perfectly and I was on paper out to 100 yards very quickly.

I did find it difficult to get a good cheek weld.  Is this common?  I have been shooting rifles for 40+ years and this was my first extended shoot with an AR.

My build is on a Delton lower with a a PSA enhanced lower build kit, a Matrix Aerospace upper receiver with a 16" stainless barrel. 

I am currently using a Primary Arms Micro-dot for my optics.  I have the optic mounted directly to the upper receiver rail (I opted to try it without a riser, my old school mentality of trying to keep the optic as close to the barrel axis as possible without anything between the optic and the barrel).

Any input would be appreciated and I will try and post a picture when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

In order to keep the recoil impulse directed straight to the rear, the M16 FoW was designed to have a mechanical offset of approx 2.6".

This will create a discrepancy between your line of bore and your line of sight that needs to be corrected by using the correct holdovers for your zero inside of 25 yards. Unfortunately, there really is no way around this, however with practice it becomes second nature.

As others said, you need a riser to get your optic up high enough to be in your sight line with a natural head position.

Look how high your iron sights are, see if those are comfortable.

Rightisright has it backwards. You do not need a stock riser or cheek piece.

This will create a discrepancy between your line of bore and your line of sight that needs to be corrected by using the correct holdovers for your zero inside of 25 yards. Unfortunately, there really is no way around this, however with practice it becomes second nature.

This isn't unfortunate at all, it is the exact opposite as it also gives us the wonderful "dual zero distances" feature. 

In order to keep the recoil impulse directed straight to the rear, the M16 FoW was designed to have a mechanical offset of approx 2.6".

As others said, you need a riser to get your optic up high enough to be in your sight line with a natural head position.

True dat.  I missed the part where he said he didn't have a riser.  :blackeye:

Can you take a picture of your setup? You likely need to raise the optic up on the riser. You can get an upgraded stock like an str as well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will try and take a picture tomorrow, but I am thinking I will just add the riser and see how it works.

Definitely need a riser. On a side note, whenever I see "cheek weld" I automatically assume "cheek weld Wednesday". Thanks Breach Bang Clear!

Thanks A-Tech-I will try the riser and see how it goes. 

Thanks HE- I will get the riser and see how it works, so much for my logical assumptions!