Old School

Why do I even bother loading precision ammo? - Update

So I lost the zero on my 24" AR got frustrated and left the range Sunday (It was sighted at 300 lost my notes for 100..Duh!)

So went back today in the mud and just grabbed a few boxes of generic hand loads ( 55gr FMJ 25gr CFE223 Wolf primers)

Just stuff that I ran through the Dillon.

Here's the results.  Don't know why I agonize with precision stuff when this was kicked out of the Dillon.

!3 shots @ 100 and I have no idea where the hole in the upper left came from.

post-1785-0-92595700-1426110257_thumb.jpg

I think it's just a thing with reloaders to be as precise, and consistent as possible. I mean sure you could just throw 22gr of varget into some cases, drop a CCI primer in, and set a 55gr bullet, but at that point it's just like a factory job. If you're constantly refining your loads, and making observations about the performance of one over another, that makes it a bit more interesting.

My inner biologist has been coming out with reloading. I originally got into it in order to (theoretically) save money since I knew a lot of people who shot but didn't reload, but would give me their brass. Lately I've been thinking about getting a load book to compare results, and crunch some numbers. Problem is I don't shoot enough to really make it worth while. I also, in my inexperience, did not segregate my reloads into batches. (At the time I was viewing it as unnecessary since I only followed the same load data, the one I mentioned above. The only variable was the manufacturer of the cases, and the time when I reloaded them).

But I've been thinking of trying to get into more precision reloading in the near future. My girlfriend got me a Hornady digital scale for my birthday, which I think will help.

I don't go crazy with .223 loads any more than your "generic" loads and I experience the same results. At one point I was slinging 1-2000rds down range every month and really didn't care about being micro-precise. Never changed that process and haven't seen a decline in accuracy so either I'm just lucky and have a great load by chance or, .223 is just that forgiving in my rifle.

I don't go crazy with .223 loads any more than your "generic" loads and I experience the same results. At one point I was slinging 1-2000rds down range every month and really didn't care about being micro-precise. Never changed that process and haven't seen a decline in accuracy so either I'm just lucky and have a great load by chance or, .223 is just that forgiving in my rifle.

Pretty much this.  I load mostly blasting ammo but I don't sweat my .223 and .308 match ammo.  If there's a few thousandths of variation or +/-.2 grains of powder, whatever.  I'm not trying to set world records nor am I trying to hit anything at 1K yards.  That's when the 6.5C that I load 50-100 at a time on a single stage press with a Chargemaster comes out and I geek out over details...

Just resized some 243 win cases out of my Savage 12 The one I shoot for Hathcock and Tactical.

I previously stated that my cases don't grow much and seldom need to be trimmed.

Lapua cases, this one was loaded 4X and doesn't need trimming.

Redding FL bushing die with .002" neck tension

So here's pic.

post-1785-0-85321600-1427369049_thumb.jpg

I'm in a similar position, except I am new to reloading.

I originally thought I would load "match" 223, and crimped neck "AR15" bulk 223. Using 55gr pills of unknown origin and making no effort I can make ammo that shoots as well as I can, if not better. I load single stage with bulk primers, and I weigh every charge from my thrower because the thought of weighing every 5th or 10th charge bugs me from a safety standpoint.

So I have Sierra Matchkings and CCI benchrest primers that I really don't see a huge point in loading. I didn't pay for them and I'm limited to 100 yards so I guess it's okay. 

I suppose I will load ammo with crimped necks for semi autos, and the same load without for my bolt guns, but that will probably be it. 

I'm in a similar position, except I am new to reloading.

I originally thought I would load "match" 223, and crimped neck "AR15" bulk 223. Using 55gr pills of unknown origin and making no effort I can make ammo that shoots as well as I can, if not better. I load single stage with bulk primers, and I weigh every charge from my thrower because the thought of weighing every 5th or 10th charge bugs me from a safety standpoint.

So I have Sierra Matchkings and CCI benchrest primers that I really don't see a huge point in loading. I didn't pay for them and I'm limited to 100 yards so I guess it's okay. 

I suppose I will load ammo with crimped necks for semi autos, and the same load without for my bolt guns, but that will probably be it.

I don't know where your load is or what powder you're using but when loading bulk ammo you may want to trust your powder measure more.

Single stage press for bottle neck cartridges is not a BIG disadvantage. Just load in batches.

Crimp? Not always necessary.

I don't know where your load is or what powder you're using but when loading bulk ammo you may want to trust your powder measure more.

Single stage press for bottle neck cartridges is not a BIG disadvantage. Just load in batches.

Crimp? Not always necessary.

I know I don't need to weigh every case, but I like the thought of weighing every case from a safety standpoint. I'm loading 4895 so it isn't even necessary. I also like to FCD semi auto loads.