Sign in to follow this  
Redlines

All 5.56 IN danger

By any means necessary is their SOP.

Last I checked more police officers were injured with axes than 5.56 rounds. 2 - 0 as I recall. If the concern was really a threat to LEOs, there would be an attempt to ban axes knives and motor vehicles.

Since when do these people and I mean the Obama administration because no matter what anyone says this is not from the ATF, give 2 shits about cops? They don't .They are street thugs and Black Panthers. The only thing they hate more than white working class Christians are cops. 

Guys this is awesome, you are looking at it all wrong.

Basically the ATF said they want to ban all rifle ammo.  That should wake up some of the "I love the 2A and I own a bolt action for hunting but black rifles are evil" people.

We kind of agree.  Good point in uniting gun owners.

My guess is that most modern center fire rifle cartridges will pierce soft body armor.

Thus making any 2000fps rifle round a "cop killer" 

I'm feeling this is a setup for something larger. My libby-senses are tingling and I feel a rifle caliber handgun ban of some sort is being cooked up. After all, this is what they have been using as the premise for the 7n6 and M855 bans. Scores of people have been writing in saying that any rifle caliber gun, handgun or not, is capable of defeating standard soft body armor.

I'm just not aware how they would legally proceed on this one without legislation. The best they can do is ban rifle caliber handguns from importation using that ridiculous "non-sporting" clause.

May be this is stepping stone to force legislation. Incidents such as latest Ferguson will be used to further the agenda.

"Think of Children" and "Officer Safety" are two things that never fail to deliver.  Any one opposing would be labelled as unpatriotic.

Or distract us with this and then offer a "more reasonable" regulation.

I predict you are going to see rifle caliber pistols become AOW

That would make sense if they did it 20 years ago. Today? With LOTS of them about it would be a massive mess for everyone, the ATF included. Heck, they admit they can't even keep track of registered Class III's, imagine adding all "rifle" caliber pistols?

I suspect at most they'll carve another "we don't talk about it" class, like pistol gripped shotguns, which legally aren't pistols, they aren't shotguns, and they are over caliber for anything but shotgun, get marked as "other" on paperwork, but no one dares call AOW.

That would make sense if they did it 20 years ago. Today? With LOTS of them about it would be a massive mess for everyone, the ATF included. Heck, they admit they can't even keep track of registered Class III's, imagine adding all "rifle" caliber pistols?

I suspect at most they'll carve another "we don't talk about it" class, like pistol gripped shotguns, which legally aren't pistols, they aren't shotguns, and they are over caliber for anything but shotgun, get marked as "other" on paperwork, but no one dares call AOW.

It could still happen, look at the street sweeper which managed to be sold without NFA tax/restrictions for several years before ATF decided it was NFA and anyone who had one needed to pay the tax/register it?

They could easily pass a law making centerfire rifle cal. handguns AOW's or SBR's, look at the 1986 machine gun ban that everyone said would never pass and sure enough it passed with flying colors.

If you can't take away the guns you restrict the ammo, this has happened in many countries where it is illegal to possess firearms chambered in "military" or "police" calibers. Go after 223/308/762x39 etc. since banning the rifles isn't feasible.

Hard argument to make after Heller, specially when the word militia is there. Even Miller acknowledged the military purpose of private ownership. 

If you can't take away the guns you restrict the ammo, this has happened in many countries where it is illegal to possess firearms chambered in "military" or "police" calibers. Go after 223/308/762x39 etc. since banning the rifles isn't feasible.

you forgot 30-06

you forgot 30-06

If they really push for ammo restrictions and start targeting popular calibers what will we do? if they ban M855 you will still be able to buy bags of pulled m855 bullets (same with Chinese steel core) but manufacturing live rounds even for personal use would be illegal. How would the Govt. know? ;)

If they really push for ammo restrictions and start targeting popular calibers what will we do? if they ban M855 you will still be able to buy bags of pulled m855 bullets (same with Chinese steel core) but manufacturing live rounds even for personal use would be illegal. How would the Govt. know? ;)

when they copy other countries, and we suddenly have a law allowing them to come into our homes any time, without warning, without warrant....to inspect our stuff. for the safety of kids ya know.........

when they copy other countries, and we suddenly have a law allowing them to come into our homes any time, without warning, without warrant....to inspect our stuff. for the safety of kids ya know.........

That would break a couple of extra amendments which would make a lot of people nervous in both political parties.

I had the displeasure of living in a country where searches were conducted without a warrant....they would "check" to make sure the gun was still in your possession every so often without warning....same with ammunition, holsters and magazines which had to be papered and the Govt. knew what you had at all times....

I had the displeasure of living in a country where searches were conducted without a warrant....they would "check" to make sure the gun was still in your possession every so often without warning....same with ammunition, holsters and magazines which had to be papered and the Govt. knew what you had at all times....

Sounds a lot like NJ. Almost. Coming soon I'm sure...