lhrocker

Shopping while waiting for FPID/P2P

So I'm in the process of waiting for my paperwork to come back from my local PD.  While waiting, I've been doing tons of research on what I want to get in terms or handguns and rifles.  I am looking mainly for target practice, but home defense is also on my mind.  Given that, I have made up list of what I am looking for:

.22 handgun (Ruger, Walther)

.22 rifle - either semi or bolt (Ruger, Savage)

12 gauge shotgun (Mossberg)

9mm handgun (Walther, Sig, Glock)

So that being said, I started to look into checking out the firearms.  Are there any stores in either NNJ (Sussex, Essex, Passiac, etc...) where a person who doesn't have a FPID yet can look at guns?

Thanx,

Pete

In my experience it's about 60/40 that retailers ask to see a FID. Maybe you should simply be honest to them about your situation...they might see you as a potential customer.

That being said, I would consider skipping buying a 22 handgun (due to ammo shortage) and use the money toward a centerfire pistol. But if you are set on one, also check out the SW M&P 22 Compact. I've heard good things from owners, plus shoots the cheap ammo .

That being said, I would consider skipping buying a 22 handgun (due to ammo shortage) and use the money toward a centerfire pistol. But if you are set on one, also check out the SW M&P 22 Compact. I've heard good things from owners, plus shoots the cheap ammo .

So then would there be an issue with getting ammo for the 22 rifles too?

RTSP in Randolph and Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey specifically have it as store policy that an FID is not required to handle a firearm, though they may ask for other ID. The other stores seem to depend on the store or who ends up helping you. Also, both RTSP and Woodland Park Range will let non-FID holders handle rental firearms. Just please be respectful of their time and don't dry fire (pull the trigger) a gun without asking permission. I suggets doing such browsing on weeknights, or better yet, weekdays during the day. Weekends are a lousy time since stores (and the ranges) tend to be packed.

Not exactly local to you, but L&H in Wall has never asked for any form of id to fondle guns.

In my experience this is the place to go for a new gun owner looking to kick the tires, for lack of a better term.  it's also a great place to actually buy a gun.  Its my favorite gun shop.

Every store I've been in has asked me for my FID before handling any guns. All the guns I liked the look of didn't fit me well enough when I finally could handle them. Knowing that now, I'd say don't waste your gas and time and just wait until you get your FID to really start considering what gun(s) to buy.

Every store I've been in has asked me for my FID before handling any guns. All the guns I liked the look of didn't fit me well enough when I finally could handle them. Knowing that now, I'd say don't waste your gas and time and just wait until you get your FID to really start considering what gun(s) to buy.

Or don't shop the stores that you do. Go to a gun shop that knows the laws and wants to sell you a gun.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Easier said than done. You could wind up spending more on gas than the price of the gun!

Perhaps try calling ahead to check their policy?

In 1992 I went to buy my first Jersey gun for myself and the guy demanded to see my PPP before he would hand me a Glock to evaluate for purchase.

Having been involved in this for only a few years, I did not realize that P2P's in NJ go back that far.

Perhaps try calling ahead to check their policy?

Yep. Did that, only to have a few places that said, "Yes, of course you can handle. Why shouldn't you?" tell me otherwise when I got there. It doesn't matter how respectful or unopposing you are. The uneducated salesperson or owner afraid of any type of lawsuit that could possibly arise from a non FID holder handling a gun is going to trump your wanting to handle any gun on their business premises.

Having been involved in this for only a few years, I did not realize that P2P's in NJ go back that far.

I still have that form. And it went back a lot longer than 1992. Me and my buddies would shoot Mini-14s and ARs with 30 and 40 round mags at cars and junk in the sand pits during the 80s. They were banned while I was deployed.

I never get asked, but they all know me anyway. I have a couple of .22 rifles, if I could only have  one it would be a 10-22, preferably a takedown. As for .22, last week I picked up 2700 rounds of it, took a couple of days at Dicks, they had it the price was better than others. even at $50 for 500 it is still cheaper than 9mm. Shotguns stick with an 870 or Mossberg. But then my favorite is a Saiga. I went kicking and screaming into Glocks, that is what I carry, they are not a bad for what they do. Not as accurate as my Colts, Brownings or Beretta, but they do the job.