Polak

14" shottie NJ legal?

So if it is not a shotgun, and it is not a rilfe, or a destructive device, what is it?

Firearm, other.

This goes back to the very odd land in which all pistol gripped shotguns live, the 18"+ ones included. I'm pretty sure the ATF wants you to mark other on the forms.

Google "atf pistol grip shotgun" and read some of the ATF opinions and the like. It is a weird no-mans-land of gaps in the law.

to be a sawed off shotgun.. it has to start as a shotgun or a rifle.. if it is not a shotgun or a rifle.. it can not be a sawed off shotgun..

a qualifier for it to be a rifle or a shotgun means it has to be designed to be fired from the shoulder.. this is not..

not a destructive device..

my feelings are the state would love this to be illegal.. my thoughts are maybe it is illegal in some way that I am missing.. but it is not illegal in any obvious way that I can tell..

This is why I was asking in the first place. I can't find anything obviously illegal (NJ wise) about it.

Google "atf pistol grip shotgun" and read some of the ATF opinions and the like. It is a weird no-mans-land of gaps in the law.

SBRs and SBSs are reverse gaps in the law. Bulges, maybe?

Nobody cared about barrel length on a rifle or shotgun. Fed wanted to ban handguns and concealable weapons in 1934 along with MGs. SBS and SBR were banned essentially to prevent circumventing the handgun ban. Handgun ban was negotiated out of the NFA and SBR and SBS stayed for no real reason. Or maybe because anybody desperate enough to destroy a firearm to conceal it was up to no good so there is a bone thrown.

This is why I was asking in the first place. I can't find anything obviously illegal (NJ wise) about it.

I think like some of the other oddities it is a risk reward situation.. by the letter of the law.. I THINK that it is legal.. but go to the range with a 14in pistol grip shotgun... and there is a chance you may have your day in court to prove it.. fear should certainly not dissuade you from ownership.. but just make sure the prize is worth it.. 

I think I kinda want one of these but I am in the $450 range. $650 is a lot for a toy.

I've been noticing the SOTs seem to be throwing the $195 tax savings on to the purchase prices of their AOWs. AOWs are only $5 to transfer, but $200 to make yourself if you are not an SOT :( At that point you would juts make an SBR, which trumps AOW.

I think I kinda want one of these but I am in the $450 range. $650 is a lot for a toy.

I had the same interest.. I saw it.. I googled it.. and at sub 500 I would be curious.. after all.. I had a "normal length" 500 that was like $350.. there is no magic that nets almost twice as much for this.. lol