danw77

Penalty for Pistol on WMA Range

I take no side in this conversation, but doesn't the game code include some form of language about dispatching trapped animals with .22s? I hdon't remember is that rifles only, or shorts only or some such.

Correct, It's shorts but I'm not 100% sure that they allow a handgun for dispatch. I don't trap. I can find an answer to that question easily though.

No on the handguns for trapping.  Here is the wording from the digest:  

"Licensed trappers and in possession of a valid rifle permit may carry a .22 caliber rifle and use only .22 caliber short rimfire cartridges to kill legally trapped animals other than muskrat. Firearms may not be loaded with more than three rounds"

No on the handguns for trapping. Here is the wording from the digest:

"Licensed trappers and in possession of a valid rifle permit may carry a .22 caliber rifle and use only .22 caliber short rimfire cartridges to kill legally trapped animals other than muskrat. Firearms may not be loaded with more than three rounds"

Thank you sir!

64ffaa230913d4903affc0e509401f73.jpg

Got the kit, just don't have the time right now.

I had one of those a few years ago, my father was smart...beer is the best gift to give :D

Made a nice brew but never got around to doing it again, this year I plan on making wine using a family recipe and the concord grapes I raise in the backyard...vines are going on 100 years old

I had one of those a few years ago, my father was smart...beer is the best gift to give :D

Made a nice brew but never got around to doing it again, this year I plan on making wine using a family recipe and the concord grapes I raise in the backyard...vines are going on 100 years old

Thats awesome, I remember my "off the boat" grandfather doing that in his basement as a kid. His grapes are still growing, my sister has my grandparents old house. He brought a fig tree from the old country also, I still go there once a year to pick them.

Thats awesome, I remember my "off the boat" grandfather doing that in his basement as a kid. His grapes are still growing, my sister has my grandparents old house. He brought a fig tree from the old country also, I still go there once a year to pick them.

last year I made jelly from them and got around 40 mason jars, easy to do and blows anything store bought out of the water.

I gotta get under the house sometime, I have a bunch of big glass jugs maybe 5 gallon in size stilled filled with wine (probably spoiled) from the 50's but those would work great...you seal them with hot wax.

They have the gold inlay and mother-of-pearl hand-crafted Italian shotguns which they sweep across the assemblage at least once every 30 seconds. "Hey nice gun WHOOOOOAAA!!!" and everybody drops to the ground.

Their dogs are as vicious as starved dingoes, cost $7,000 excluding "training," and are usually named "Sporty" or "Baking-Done-On-Premises." If you run ahead of them at the opening bell better cover up and bring your iodine because you'll be pelted. Bird shot hitting your neck at 125 yards is affirming; much closer you wonder. 

And if they don't bag out by 7 am, in time to get back to make the cole slaw, expect to see them in groups of 7 or more shooting into the air for fun. "We brought those bullets!! We're gonna shoot 'em!!"

Apologies in advance to our Hellenic readers. My tribe would be much, much worse. 

The trick to pheasant hunting the WMA's to avoid the jazbo's and batchagaloop's is to get there after 10:30. Those 5:30AM folks are usually arguing over a parking spot and jostling for a spot on line before the march across the gates of Hades to follow the tracks of the stocking truck. (That's not bird hunting, that's insanity.) Most of the parking lots are empty by noon. You'll have the whole place to yourself sometimes if you go late. If you have a good dog, you'll find birds all afternoon. I like peace and quiet.

I stopped going to the obvious spots in Black River because too often I'd never fire a shot. My dog would always recover wounded birds that were missed by those "$7,000" bird dogs.

Whittingham, Walpack and Assunpink are my favorite spots at certain times and different periods of the season. 

When I was a kid and Whittingham just opened it was great because no one knew about it. But eventually those from the east found it. So that's when I started venturing to Flatbrook. Black River I'm way too afraid to go back to after, I saw a guy get shot. Sometimes Berkshire Valley during the week is good because, it's small and not that many guys go over there after opening day.

The trick to pheasant hunting the WMA's to avoid the jazbo's and batchagaloop's is to get there after 10:30. Those 5:30AM folks are usually arguing over a parking spot and jostling for a spot on line before the march across the gates of Hades to follow the tracks of the stocking truck. (That's not bird hunting, that's insanity.) Most of the parking lots are empty by noon. You'll have the whole place to yourself sometimes if you go late. If you have a good dog, you'll find birds all afternoon. I like peace and quiet.

I stopped going to the obvious spots in Black River because too often I'd never fire a shot. My dog would always recover wounded birds that were missed by those "$7,000" bird dogs.

Whittingham, Walpack and Assunpink are my favorite spots at certain times and different periods of the season. 

This is a great idea. I've stayed until 10 many times but never thought of not being there at daybreak. Especially since my hunting buddy and his dog moved to Florida. Hey at worst it's a nice walk and I get to sleep. Will definitely try it this season. Brilliant.

This is a great idea. I've stayed until 10 many times but never thought of not being there at daybreak. Especially since my hunting buddy and his dog moved to Florida. Hey at worst it's a nice walk and I get to sleep. Will definitely try it this season. Brilliant.

We do it too. Call ourselves the "clean up crew". A few hours after the Gunsmoke clears and the pellets stop falling on your umbrella. Is pretty peaceful, usually good success as well.

I was "that" guy pulling into Whittingham after 10AM.