Sign in to follow this  
jackandjill

Walther PP - Barrle dings - Fail to eject ?

Hope this helps... and this thing has serial number on the frame (right side) only.. no other markings or serial number on barrel / slide at all. 

Although used and has holster marks, love the bluish, smooth finish on the slide.. I can only imagine how they looked when new..

That certainly looks like cosmoline to me. It is meant to preserve a weapon for long term storage and not act as a lubricant to make it work. Most surplus rifles that come from long term storage are covered in it when you buy them. The best way to get the grease off is to soak it in gas just remove any parts that will be damaged by the fuel like the grips. It should not damage the bluing if it is hi polish or not as long as you don't leave in there forever. You will need to soak it for 24-48 hrs in a chemical proof tray or metal pan.

From the pictures, it's pretty obvious why you are having issues. I've done a couple like that. Remove the grips, submerge in a pan of paint thinner (mineral spirits), let soak, then work over with a cheap 1" natural bristle brush. Lube with gun oil of choice. BTDT.

FWIW

YMMV

Purple Power you mean? yeah I've cleaned a few old mausers with it, metal and wood. I used it at the suggestion of C&R forums when I was into that. It is a degreaser/cleaner.

You can find it at most automotive stores, walmart, amazon, etc. You can also use other "purple" cleaners as there seems to be a purple competition for some reason.

Purple Power you mean? yeah I've cleaned a few old mausers with it, metal and wood. I used it at the suggestion of C&R forums when I was into that. It is a degreaser/cleaner.

You can find it at most automotive stores, walmart, amazon, etc. You can also use other "purple" cleaners as there seems to be a purple competition for some reason.

Is this the stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/4320P-Industrial-Strength-Cleaner-Degreaser/dp/B002HU5N4O

And it's pretty cheap.

Is that similar to SImple Green? I've used that diluted 3-1 with good results.

Yep.

Is that similar to SImple Green? I've used that diluted 3-1 with good results.

I think they are pretty similar, but its not like I've read the labels in detail.

I personally would not use purple degreaser on that pistol. I think it will damage the finish. We use the Zep version of that stuff at my job and it is pretty nasty stuff. It is very corrosive to some metals and can cause chemical burns.It does not come ever close to the degreasing power of gasoline or safety kleen even when not diluted with water. If you must use it spray and wipe or you will be sorry.  

I find that odd, I've used it on metal and wood with no side effects.

Yes, I've used it diluted, start at maybe 1/4 purple power to 3/4 warn water. Soak the gun for 10 min or so then use an old tooth brush. I wouldn't soak he plastic bits.

Again, its been a decade plus since I've done this. I recall no chemical burns although being an aggressive degreaser it can chap your hands so wear some kitchen gloves.

Personally I would use that before gasoline which does terrible things to my hands. 

BIG CAVEAT: you are about to use chemicals in probably off-label ways. Do as much research as you can and use whichever method you feel most comfortable, not whichever method I felt most comfortable with.