Sign in to follow this  
lhrocker

Firearm purchase question

I was talking to some friends about guns and someone asked if you can buy a gun without a Drivers License because not everyone drives?  Can they use a State ID or Passport?  Also, if the answer is yes, and they don't drive, can they take mass transit home or have someone drive them? 

Some of my friends live in NYC and there is enough mass transit where where you can usually get everywhere by bus/subway/train/cab.  I know this is a strange question, and if it doesn't deserve an answer, please delete the thread.

A passport will not work because it is not linked to your state of residence. I would imagine any state issued photo ID would be acceptable. I'm not aware that a DL is a requirement to buy a firearm, or get an FID or P2P in NJ. But you need to prove who you are and where you reside.

I edited your topic title - it was not a stupid question.

Thanx.  Then to the second part.  If you buy the firearm with a State ID, then could you take public transportation to get the gun home?  Would that be considered "carry"?

Thanx.  Then to the second part.  If you buy the firearm with a State ID, then could you take public transportation to get the gun home?  Would that be considered "carry"?

Wow, that's a good one! I would guess if you transported only the gun with no ammo at all, you would be fine.

Since NJ Statute (at least as far as I have read) does not mention public transportation as a no no.

However, if you were on your way to a range with a handgun and ammo both on your person ( as you would have to with public transportation) That may be a ticket for a trip to meet Bubba!

IANAL and please don't take my advice as gospel!!!  Others here may know better but I can't imagine that NJ Statutes would prohibit a person without a mode of private transportation

with a FPID card from taking his/her new gun home!

If you want to be really safe, take a cab! The gun in the trunk and ammo in the passenger compartment and go straight home for a handgun. For a long arm, stop for a slice of pizza!

Good question. Here are the rules: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

Reading this it seems that if it is unloaded and in a locked container, then you can use public transportation. Oh and I would do exactly as jackandjill wrote and check terms of service just to be sure.

Make sure to read appropriate terms of service (and/or policies) of the Public Transportation in question.

For e.g Amtrak discussion - http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/63403-the-traveling-to-florida-question/page-2?hl=amtrak