Sign in to follow this  
Blindshooter

Current rifle law for jersey city

its the state that defines what guns we are allowed to have not the towns. what the towns differ on is the paperwork requirements needed for the application process which is also dictated by the state but unfortunately many towns illegally require more and JC is one of the worst offenders. They actually are apealing a courts decision telling them to knock it off, thats how bad they are. Look at our Gun law FAQS here and get educated on whats ok. Shotguns, semis, bolts all have different rules relevent to their features and even just their name can make it illegal in NJ.

Are you living in JC currently?

If so go to your police station and ask for an application.

To purchase a rifle you will have to apply for an FID Card. Process takes a few weeks to few months.

To own a gun if you have one in another state you don't need an FID but you will need it to buy ammo.

Thanks for the info guys!  To answer everyones questions I currently do not liv in NJ but my sister does but I use one of nj's gun ranges because you guys are alot friendly'er than most of the ones in nyc.  I have both my pistol and rifle/shotgun permits for ny but with the nazi like laws we have i'm limited to what i'm allowed to own which sucks because we all know theres alot of nice guns out there.   I was looking into buying an AR or semi .308  and just keep them in nj and use them at one of nj's ranges.

I've heard from a few folks that you dont need a rifle permit to own a rifle in nj all you need is the FID. Since I have my NY permits would I be allowed to buy a rifle in NJ or would I be refused since i'm not an nj fid card holder/resident? 

Thanks for the info guys! To answer everyones questions I currently do not liv in NJ but my sister does but I use one of nj's gun ranges because you guys are alot friendly'er than most of the ones in nyc. I have both my pistol and rifle/shotgun permits for ny but with the nazi like laws we have i'm limited to what i'm allowed to own which sucks because we all know theres alot of nice guns out there. I was looking into buying an AR or semi .308 and just keep them in nj and use them at one of nj's ranges.

I've heard from a few folks that you dont need a rifle permit to own a rifle in nj all you need is the FID. Since I have my NY permits would I be allowed to buy a rifle in NJ or would I be refused since i'm not an nj fid card holder/resident?

If you move here ( NJ Drivers License ) and your firearms are legal in NJ then you dont even need an FID to go shoot to the range.

If you heavent done this scroll through this and find information on many things:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

1) just to make sure, do not bring a handgun into NJ. We do not recognize out of state CCW much less the casual carrier. You will go to jail if caught.

2) do not leave a gun at your sisters , that is an illegal transfer and your sis, you or both will be in big trouble if caught

3) you can by a long gun from a NJ FFL with proper NY ID as long as its legal for you to have in NY

4) the FID is actually a FPID card -Firearm Purchase ID card. Its not for ownership but purchasing buy NJ residents. 

5) I have trouble enough keeping up with our own laws, not sure what the transport of long guns into a NJ range from out of state is, maybe someone else can chime in.

BTW, we have our own nazism going on here- get edumacated and be smart, careful...

3) you can by a long gun from a NJ FFL with proper NY ID as long as its legal for you to have in NY

Nope. Must have NJ FPID to buy and have transferred to you a long gun in NJ. If he has it shipped back to NY for the transfer, he doesn't need FPID.

1) just to make sure, do not bring a handgun into NJ. We do not recognize out of state CCW much less the casual carrier. You will go to jail if caught.

He means, don't carry a gun into NJ. OK to transport as long as you are traveling under one of the exemptions, i.e. to or from a range with no deviation

2) do not leave a gun at your sisters , that is an illegal transfer and your sis, you or both will be in big trouble if caught

3) you can buy a long gun from a NJ FFL with proper NY ID as long as its legal for you to have in NY

As Jon pointed out you would need a NJ FPID - laws of both the buyer's and seller's states must be adhered to.

4) the FID is actually a FPID card -Firearm Purchase ID card. Its not for ownership but purchasing by NJ residents.

The FPID also allows transport of long guns outside the statutory exemptions. You would also need it to buy handgun ammunition in NJ.

5) I have trouble enough keeping up with our own laws, not sure what the transport of long guns into a NJ range from out of state is, maybe someone else can chime in.

BTW, we have our own nazism going on here- get edumacated and be smart, careful...

A handgun or long gun can be transported from your home to the range and back - unloaded and in a securely fastened container, gun box, or securely tied package.  NJ says home to range it doesn't say that the home needs to be in NJ

But you can't transport anywhere else.  So stopping at your sisters is not allowed.

Insane.

Thanks for the info guys! To answer everyones questions I currently do not liv in NJ but my sister does but I use one of nj's gun ranges because you guys are alot friendly'er than most of the ones in nyc. I have both my pistol and rifle/shotgun permits for ny but with the nazi like laws we have i'm limited to what i'm allowed to own which sucks because we all know theres alot of nice guns out there. I was looking into buying an AR or semi .308 and just keep them in nj and use them at one of nj's ranges.

tumblr_l5uvv6pjNs1qankvno1_500.jpg

Unless you live in Jersey you can't buy guns in Jersey (or any other state you don't live in) that are illegal in the place that you do live. Not even to leave in another state. You can only buy guns out of state that are legal in the place(s) you legitimately reside.

It is kind of funny that he chose Jersey for this. "NYC gun laws suck, I know, Jersey!" Maybe Bloomberg's minions are getting a little afraid of coming to PA nowadays. Just kidding ;)

Sorry, bro! Doesn't work that way. If you are truly determined to live in NYC and own NY illegal firearms elsewhere, you are going to have to setup a 2nd residence in another state (such as Jersey I guess). And your sister's house does not count. That would obviously just be a convenient attempt to circumvent federal law unless you had real proof you resided there and a verifiable reason for doing so. I know I am not quoting law here but this is pretty much common sense on how this sort of sham would be treated. I know you didn't actually mean to do anything wrong but that is how it works.

Oh, you also need an NJ FPID to bring a long gun to your sister's house. A range is fine, your sister's house is not.

You need a New Jersey License to Carry a Handgun to bring a handgun to your sister's house. A range is fine, your sister's house is not.

tumblr_l5uvv6pjNs1qankvno1_500.jpg

Unless you live in Jersey you can't buy guns in Jersey (or any other state you don't live in) that are illegal in the place that you do live. Not even to leave in another state. You can only buy guns out of state that are legal in the place(s) you legitimately reside.

It is kind of funny that he chose Jersey for this. "NYC gun laws suck, I know, Jersey!" Maybe Bloomberg's minions are getting a little afraid of coming to PA nowadays. Just kidding ;)

Sorry, bro! Doesn't work that way. If you are truly determined to live in NYC and own NY illegal firearms elsewhere, you are going to have to setup a 2nd residence in another state (such as Jersey I guess). And your sister's house does not count. That would obviously just be a convenient attempt to circumvent federal law unless you had real proof you resided there and a verifiable reason for doing so. I know I am not quoting law here but this is pretty much common sense on how this sort of sham would be treated. I know you didn't actually mean to do anything wrong but that is how it works.

Why cant he have dual residency at his sisters house. Many people have this and they stay with their family part time.

Why cant he have dual residency at his sisters house. Many people have this and they stay with their family part time.

First, forget about "dual." Residency in more than one place is just residency as far as ATF is concerned.

You can have a residence with a family member. You cannot lie about having a residency with a family member out of convenience to break federal law for the purpose of purchasing firearms. Visiting your family does not make it a residence, nor does staying there while on vacation. Examples:

1. If you own a second home or vacation home in Maryland, there is a good chance you reside there while you are there.

^This is pretty obvious.

2. If you have family in Colorado and buy guns when you are visiting, and say you are a resident, you are a lying and breaking federal law. Especially after you show up on a Colorado gun forum and say, "Hi everybody, I want to buy guns I can't own in NJ. But I will leave them at my sister's house in Colorado, not bring them back to NJ."

^This is also pretty obvious.

Keep in mind - these are my illustrative examples, the guy has expressed NO intent to do this. But it is usually the next line of reasoning under these circumstances so I felt it appropriate to warn him.

I just read all the replys to my main posting. I thought NY was bad it seems like your all following in NY footsteps hopefully one day things will get better for all of us!  I know it's against the law to bring guns into the state without the proper permits which is why I dont do so.  Thank God for the gun for hire range it's the only one I know of that you guys have that lets you rent a wide range of guns to shoot.

Nope. Must have NJ FPID to buy and have transferred to you a long gun in NJ. If he has it shipped back to NY for the transfer, he doesn't need FPID.

wow, I didn't know that.  I thought that it was federal law that you can purchase long guns in contiguous states.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that NJ is cercumventing federal law.

wow, I didn't know that.  I thought that it was federal law that you can purchase long guns in contiguous states.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that NJ is cercumventing federal law.

They aren't. The federal law stipulates that the laws governing sales from both the buyer's and seller's states must be adhered to.