Sign in to follow this  
AMScott

What Happened to Me because of the .22 Shortage

I really like plinking with 22's. Always did.  I got my wife into shooting 22's.  We have many steel targets including Action Targets Plate Rack and Dueling Tree.  On a typical Saturday afternoon we would both be knee deep in 22 casings. We purchased several new 22 pistols and rifles like the Henry Golden Boy and S&W MP 15-22.   22 was plentiful and cheap and we were never planning on doing much more with this fun hobby. Then 22 kind of went away.  Cheap 22 anyway..... It was really annoying..... We didn't want to shoot what we had saved up because replacing it was hard.  I noticed that all the gun stores had plenty of 9mm and 38cal.  Plenty of that.... I started to look at those guns.  Instead of getting 22 cal replicas of guns of the old west or a cool 1911 in 22 or a  S&W revolver in 22 and I would  get the real deal. So that is what I did.  I want to thank who ever is responsible for the 22 shortage.  Without that, I would have never tried "plinking" with larger calibers.  I didn't know how much fun I was missing............

Not that I'm particularly religious, but people are fond of saying that the Lord works in strange ways.

Not sure I follow the logic of what you're saying, because centerfire cartridges are still way more expensive than .22, but if it

got you into other firearms, what the hell.  Have you gotten an AR yet?  And 7.62 is still relatively inexpensive, so you probably

need an AK as well.

Not that I'm particularly religious, but people are fond of saying that the Lord works in strange ways.

Not sure I follow the logic of what you're saying, because centerfire cartridges are still way more expensive than .22, but if it

got you into other firearms, what the hell.  Have you gotten an AR yet?  And 7.62 is still relatively inexpensive, so you probably

need an AK as well.

Listen to this guy...he's like a dealer outside of a NA meeting :rofl:

Oh, you mean current pricing, not normal. I miss the days of $0.03/rd .22LR.

I hear ya buddy, when I was a kid I could walk I could walk into Kmart and for $8 get a 500 brick. 

And they would be happy to sell it to you, not like today when they think your a terrorist. 

Awesome. Congrats on your conversion.

My route was the opposite, but still ended up on the same place.

I started out with shotguns and 38/357, then 9mm, then 45ACP, then 30 cal and finally a .22lr rifle.

And then I shot bullseye a few times so I needed a .22 handgun.

But to be honest, I just don't get the thrill of shooting .22s.

I know it's cheap, but meh.

I hear ya buddy, when I was a kid I could walk I could walk into Kmart and for $8 get a 500 brick. 

And they would be happy to sell it to you, not like today when they think your a terrorist. 

I must be a little bit older than you sir.....I remember when K-Mart in East Brunswick had Winchester 40 gr. solids for $3.99 a BRICK on sale!  And at 12 years old my Dad gave me a $5 bill & I went into the store by myself, picked a brick up off the shelf (must have been over 100 bricks there) and stood in line and paid for it while he smoked his stogie out in the 1971 Datsun 1200 deluxe.  NJ was once a Free State!

Wait until you start reloading, you can make 9mm for the same price as 22.

Tis is a close fact ...

22LR - 0.09 - 0.11 per round

9mm - 0.111 per round

But I had to buy a 9mm handgun - Dillon 550B dies and in my example  ... 1000 9mm cases, free from a friend!

But ... I reload black powder 22LR for 0.064 a round that are accurate out to 100yds :bye:

NJ was once a Free State!

Yup. In the late 70s my brother and I (both less then 12 years old) buying cigarettes for our father and playing with realistic looking plastic bb guns and homemade crossbows in the street.

Now I'm in another thread trying to figure out if a Daisy "rifle" is considered an SBR...

I do buy in bulk as an OEM and at wholesale prices so it's a little cheaper for me.

Ahh, that's the secret.  All the other forum posts I've seen on the topic say about 10 cents a round for the bullet itself in qty of 5000.

What did I get so far ???? Beretta PX4, Beretta 92FS Inox Compact, Sig C3, Sig P238 , S&W Model 10, Beretta CX4..... Next is the Henry Big Boy in steel 357 and a JR Carbine..... Thinking on a Sig Rifle (Patrol?) and a S&W MP 15......  I'm going to need another safe...... And also got my Utah Non Res Permit...... 

[quote name="John Boy" post="962362" timestamp="1427479083

But ... I reload black powder 22LR for 0.064 a round that are accurate out to 100yds :bye:

Tell us more! I've not heard of this being done. How does it work?