Sign in to follow this  
fslater

Carbine Stock On Rifle Length?

Hi Folks

Over the winter I built an AR 15, 20" barrel, rifle length gas system, A2 stock, scope only no iron sights. I haven't had it out yet, I'm waiting for some decent weather before heading up to Cherry Ridge. Shouldering the rifle puts my eye to far back from the scope than I like and I doubt the 5/8" shorter length of an A1 would make much difference. Is a collapsible stock/carbine length buffer tube (pinned to the length comfortable for me) OK to use with the rifle length gas system? And if yes what weight buffer would be good to start with? H2, H3?

Also when zeroing the scope I'll probably want to go to an indoor range with lanes and target pullies so I don't have to wait for a cease fire to check my group positions or zero at 100 yds. My scope has a drop compensator for 100, 200, 300 400,500 yds. Does the 50 = 200 yard zero rule work for scopes or is that only an iron sight trajectory? If 50/200 is a no go with a scope what short range can I zero at using one of the X00 settings I have? BTW the scope is cheepo/generic (but all I can afford at the moment) but was advertised as for 223 AR.

Thanks in advance for the advice :)

Just curious, can you move the scope further back so you get the proper eye relief?  I would change the stock if the length of pull is not comfortable for you.

For the zero, it depends on the scope.  My MTAC was zero'd for 50/200.  Top of the main dot for 100.  Second dot for 300.

Changing the position of the scope would be a no brainer ...... Its at the farthest back notch on the rail now and I still have to stretch my neck for a good relief. Length of pull/reach to the trigger is fine, its getting my eye ball close enough to the scope that's the problem with the A2 length. Re changing the stock. The shortest stock I've see for a rifle length extension tube even in aftermarket/non-GI shapes is still the same as A1 (only 5/8 shorter than what I have now) thus the question, can I use a carbine/collapsible length extension tube with a heavy buffer with the rifle length gas system?

Hi Folks

Over the winter I built an AR 15, 20" barrel, rifle length gas system, A2 stock, scope only no iron sights. I haven't had it out yet, I'm waiting for some decent weather before heading up to Cherry Ridge. Shouldering the rifle puts my eye to far back from the scope than I like and I doubt the 5/8" shorter length of an A1 would make much difference. Is a collapsible stock/carbine length buffer tube (pinned to the length comfortable for me) OK to use with the rifle length gas system? And if yes what weight buffer would be good to start with? H2, H3?

Also when zeroing the scope I'll probably want to go to an indoor range with lanes and target pullies so I don't have to wait for a cease fire to check my group positions or zero at 100 yds. My scope has a drop compensator for 100, 200, 300 400,500 yds. Does the 50 = 200 yard zero rule work for scopes or is that only an iron sight trajectory? If 50/200 is a no go with a scope what short range can I zero at using one of the X00 settings I have? BTW the scope is cheepo/generic (but all I can afford at the moment) but was advertised as for 223 AR.

Thanks in advance for the advice :)

I'm sure you'll get multiple answers on the carbine stock on the rifle length gas system. I've gone rifle stock on carbine length gas system no problem.

I think you have some other issues with your setup.

#1 A1/A2 stocks are notoriously short for a scope. So unless your physical proportions are real limited you should be able to use it comfortably.

#2 Trajectory is trajectory no matter the sighting device.

#3 Bore sight and use a spotting scope or even binoculars for 50 yds. (you don't need a bore sight laser to bore sight)

If you need help I live close to CR and can get you squared away.

Actually      The A1/A2 is to long    I have long arms, short neck......... I'll be shooting mostly benched with a bipod or prone....... I'm new at Cherry Ridge, I'm looking to zero at a 50 yd range. Shortest CR 223 range is 100 yds isn't it?

fslater, any chance you could post a picture? It just seems a bit odd that that you can't get a comfortable cheek weld and proper eye relief with an A2 stock. A shorter stock is really to give you a shorter length of pull, not to get you closer to the scope.

Actually      The A1/A2 is to long    I have long arms, short neck......... I'll be shooting mostly benched with a bipod or prone....... I'm new at Cherry Ridge, I'm looking to zero at a 50 yd range. Shortest CR 223 range is 100 yds isn't it?

First distance is 50 yds at CR.

You meet me there and unless the scope is unsuitable we'll make it work.

I'll let you try a cheek rest which may be your problem.