Taipan

Educating the Anti, NJGunSense.com

After the recent discussion about the one-sided gun violence panel at Fairleigh Dickinson, I did a brain-dump into a website.  Points I would make to an anti in a conversation.

www.NJGunSense.com    Great name, right?

I'm at the point where I have to decide whether to make the commitment keep it going (update, expand, publicize) or let it lapse.   So I'm looking for feedback.... would you find this useful?  what improvements would make it more useful?

Thoughts and constructive criticism appreciated.

I think you're definitely on the right track. I like that you're basing your argument on common sense and common practices, not theology or constitutional law which most anti's don't respect anyway.

One thing I would change is to remove the part about background checks, or put it on a later page. That is the last thing you'll convince an anti to change. If I had to rank on a scale of 1-100 the issues on your first page as relevant to our experience I'd put no carry at the very top with justifiable need and 10 years for stopping on your way home up there. Background checks are down around 30 for me. 

Another idea is to compare jail sentences under the Graves Act with actual time served for real honest-to-goodness crimes. You can get some ideas here: http://goo.gl/pUD6LM. 

Good luck.

Great job. I like it. It's a site that puts in plain English what the current laws are. If you try to make it a "change the minds of the antis" a website won't do that.

I like it. And it can be used in dialogue. "And I urge you to read what the laws are already at NJGUNSENSE.com"

Nappen recommends NOT carrying loaded magazines, his rationale is slightly different however.

I don't particularly agree, but...

I don't care what Nappen recommends, that is NOT the law and that is what that site should be based on.

It was a great undertaking by the OP and he deserves kudos for the execution. As the gun community we need to be doubly sure that what we say is accurate, otherwise we are no better than the anti's and their made-up statistics and propaganda.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I like your site.

I believe some say a loaded or unloaded magazine could be considered "a part of a gun". But I don't believe there is anything saying such in any law. Nor has a test case been tried confirming or denying this I'm aware of.

didnt read everything but this stood out- where the heck did you come up with a loaded magazine is considered a firearm?

i've actually had at least 3 instructors tell me that.

is there a statute we can look up, or a link saying it's not? specifically? thanks!!

is there a statute we can look up, or a link saying it's not? specifically? thanks!!

They don't write laws telling you what is allowed. (Before everybody jumps on me - exceptions are exceptions to laws that do declare something illegal). If there is no law disallowing something, it is, by default, legal.

I would challenge anyone that tells you that carrying loaded mags is illegal, to show you the cite.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

go to our Gun Laws Faqs sticky, look up the definition of "firearm". 

I had the loaded mag issue explained too me as it can help make a case against one in terms of accessibility of the firearms while transporting. So not illegal but could be used against you. Again not my explanation, that of an NRA instructor who is a former LEO and works for DHS now

After the recent discussion about the one-sided gun violence panel at Fairleigh Dickinson, I did a brain-dump into a website. Points I would make to an anti in a conversation.

www.NJGunSense.com Great name, right?

I'm at the point where I have to decide whether to make the commitment keep it going (update, expand, publicize) or let it lapse. So I'm looking for feedback.... would you find this useful? what improvements would make it more useful?

Also, the site looks good what I read so far. Keep up the good work!

I had the loaded mag issue explained too me as it can help make a case against one in terms of accessibility of the firearms while transporting. So not illegal but could be used against you. Again not my explanation, that of an NRA instructor who is a former LEO and works for DHS now

IANAL, but this could potentially be used as a "kicker" to any initial charge. My personal mantra when transporting is to minimize the risk. That can mean being attentive to traffic laws, minimizing or totally cutting out stops and keeping everything as "unthreatening" as possible. Yes, I disassemble my firearms and lock up the main components as much as possible. I strive to avoid ANY even minimal risk to myself as possible. Frankly, after being on this board for only a few years now, I've become extremely paranoid when it comes to firearms.

I'm ready to blow my mind up!!!

After the recent discussion about the one-sided gun violence panel at Fairleigh Dickinson, I did a brain-dump into a website.  Points I would make to an anti in a conversation.

www.NJGunSense.com    Great name, right?

I'm at the point where I have to decide whether to make the commitment keep it going (update, expand, publicize) or let it lapse.   So I'm looking for feedback.... would you find this useful?  what improvements would make it more useful?

BRAVO!!! Great job Taipan! 

The amount of bad info about laws given by LEOs, FFLs, and range officers is just mind boggling.

I took my NRA intro to pistol class with GFH and thank god Rob just laid it out for me the truth first time around. Firearm in the trunk OR cased. And ammo anywhere you want

None of this crap about locked cases, locked ammo boxes, unloaded magazines. Sheez. You wanna be careful then be my guest. But let's please never debate the law if we know what's writ and what's not. (Like loaded mags)

I'm not AGAINST debate. I'm just saying if youre admitting "well I just want to be extra careful" let's please not add that to the LAW discussion.

I'm sorry I just think it makes it worse for everyone when we are speculating "well here is how I transport" in the context of trying to discuss the actual law (agree with it or not)

Abive not said in bad tone just frustrated hearing this topic again

I have had several cops tell me they would arrest me for having loaded magazines, though I have no idea why. I'm sure you would probably beat the charge, but who needs the hassle? It may not be law but there is no doubt some cops believe this to be law and would take you in.

Nice job on the website and thank you for your efforts. Over the years, I've lost count of how many times I've had to explain how tough NJ gun laws are to the "we need to tighten up our gun laws" crowd.

In my experience, these types have ZERO knowledge of restrictions already in place.

I have had several cops tell me they would arrest me for having loaded magazines, though I have no idea why. I'm sure you would probably beat the charge, but who needs the hassle? It may not be law but there is no doubt some cops believe this to be law and would take you in.

I recall from an old GFH Radio interview with Nappen that this is the main reason why he recommends NOT to carry loaded magazines. It's not illegal, but why go though the hassle.

Btw great job Taipan! Website does need to be a bit more polished, but a fantastic genesis.

I recall from an old GFH Radio interview with Nappen that this is the main reason why he recommends NOT to carry loaded magazines. It's not illegal, but why go though the hassle.

Btw great job Taipan! Website does need to be a bit more polished, but a fantastic genesis.

Why own guns? It's legal, but why go through the hassle.

That's a poor reason to do anything.

Why own guns? It's legal, but why go through the hassle.

That's a poor reason to do anything.

Well lets see if I use agun in my house to defend myself, me and my family are still alive. If I transport loaded magazines, I save a minute at the range.

Yeah thats the same thing.

It may go beyond just hassle. Wonder if there is any case where the constructive intent or "readily available" to turn unloaded weapon into loaded weapon  are argued by the state.