Sign in to follow this  
awynne56

ar platform 308 pierced primers

I'm having problems with my blackrain 308..it was sent back for over gassing they said buffer was broken and replaced spring and buffer. Took it out again.. I'm getting pierced primer. I'm using 168 adi match. I emailed black rain and they said it was ammo. Don't know if anyone has had this issue. Advice is needed thanks

If its 1/10 twist. Ive found the best factory ammo is am eagle m1a ammo for accuracy past 100 yards. 149 gr is only good maybe to 100 yards. Thats in my dpms ar10.they can be finicky. Cool idea but im not convinced its a great platform.

I have a DPMS in 308 and I can say it is hard on primers.  The same load shot out of my M1A has a completely different look to the spent primer.  I have never had a punched primer that I could not trace directly back to winchester large rifle primers. 

What Im saying is I agree with the bad ammo theory.  Try something else and see what happens.  I also would recommend that you try something NATO (7.62X51) and see if it gets better.  The AR10 platform seems to appreciate a tougher primer than your typical .308

Ken

Can you take a phot with the primer side directly facing the camera?

I have an AR 308 and it's no more harsh on primers than my 5.56.

Head space was checked however I feel they didn't check firing pin . Firing pin shows miss formation  do to heat cutting of pierced primers.  Waiting on new firing pin and will shoot different ammo.  I really suspect it's still over gassed .   I think I need a adjustable  gas block  and since we live in the jersey  it's a pain in the ass because the break has to be cut .