Vicious

Best Optic for Our Area

Nope. I'm very familiar with optics at an offset. I've just never seen an EO mounted there. That has to be huge mounted at 45deg.

And I'm not trying to discredit you. You said some things that didn't make sense and some things that, in my opinion which is based on my experience and background, are flat incorrect.

Eo tech mrds:

http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/mini-red-dot-sight-mrds

With a cantilevered scope mount for my primary optic, the 45 degree mount/mrds sits right over the charging handle. This is the optimum position since it cuts down on sighting transition issues going from the scope to the mrds or vice versa.

Eric

Nope. I'm very familiar with optics at an offset. I've just never seen an EO mounted there. That has to be huge mounted at 45deg.

And I'm not trying to discredit you. You said some things that didn't make sense and some things that, in my opinion which is based on my experience and background, are flat incorrect.

I hear your opinion and, like you, ive done some vetting of you too.

Like most, you/we all have some experience with guns. One thing for sure, you have very limited experience with optics.

Lets move on.

Eric

Jeez, didn't mean to start a fire here. A lot of passion about optics. I think we can all agree that you have to go with what works for you.

I'm glad to see that the consensus is that the VCOG is over priced. I suppose I'll wait for a price drop, or more competitive option.

In the mean time I think I'll pick up a PRO. I'll use it, get familiar, and see where I want to go. If I decide to upgrade, I can always sell it here.

Thanks for all the opinions.

High Exposure, I feel like I relate a bit more to some of your philosophies.

Eric., I'm a not of a ounces become pounds type, and I feel a SHTF gun needs to be as light as possible. When in a fixed area, maybe not so important, but when out scouting/ moving/ patrolling, I want my rifle to be light and as small as possible. Hence why in my original post I stated no doctor. I like your setup a lot, just not for my purpose.

Again, thanks for helping me.

Jeez, didn't mean to start a fire here. A lot of passion about optics. I think we can all agree that you have to go with what works for you.

I'm glad to see that the consensus is that the VCOG is over priced. I suppose I'll wait for a price drop, or more competitive option.

In the mean time I think I'll pick up a PRO. I'll use it, get familiar, and see where I want to go. If I decide to upgrade, I can always sell it here.

Thanks for all the opinions.

High Exposure, I feel like I relate a bit more to some of your philosophies.

Eric., I'm a not of a ounces become pounds type, and I feel a SHTF gun needs to be as light as possible. When in a fixed area, maybe not so important, but when out scouting/ moving/ patrolling, I want my rifle to be light and as small as possible. Hence why in my original post I stated no doctor. I like your setup a lot, just not for my purpose.

Again, thanks for helping me.

My go to gun has an Aimpoint Pro.. it spends most of its time shooting sub 150 yards.. I on occasion shoot further than that.. and when I do I use a magnifier (high exposure hates them).. but it works well for me as a solution for a do all type gun.. I am not bullseye shooting.. but can take a gun that I typically shoot at close range... add the magnifier.. and hit man sized steel out to 300 yards.. 

if I had to grab one gun out of my safe and go.. that would be the one.. ar15 (light, sling, aim point PRO, and magnifier).. I feel like that gives me the most options.. 

Eo tech mrds:

http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/mini-red-dot-sight-mrds

With a cantilevered scope mount for my primary optic, the 45 degree mount/mrds sits right over the charging handle. This is the optimum position since it cuts down on sighting transition issues going from the scope to the mrds or vice versa.

Eric

Ah, so. That's the Insight MRDS. I have one on my MP5. It's a decent little RDS. Bigger than the Trijicon RMRs but workable. Best part about it is that but you can swap the battery without taking the whole optic off the mount and losing zero.

I know L3 bought Insight Technologies in 2010. I didn't realize they moved their MRDS to the EO line.

Then again I don't pay much attention to L3 since I don't like EOTechs anyway, and EO's CS went down the tubes when L3 took over.

Jeese Tischauser posted a intresting rumor;

11100230_695208323939225_103622062546697

Jesse Tischauser added a new photo.

Heard a rumor today that Trijicon is coming out with a 1-6X upgrade to the TR24 at the NRA show. Supposed to have ballistic reticle options like the ACOG/VCOG possibly. Best part is that it's suppose to come in around $1400 to compete with the class leading Vortex Razor HD II. I loved the illumination and weight of my old TR24G. I can hardly wait!

I'm going to put a hold on optics decisions for the LE901 until I see this.

Very interesting .....

Vicious, good luck with you new set up. As you can see, there are a few ways to do it and the decision comes down to your personal preferences.

Hey, post a pic when you get it finished.

Eric

Im here! When I first looked at this thread when there were stipulations around selection, I didn't bother. Seen it was still rolling and took another look. I wont go to deep into rehashing what's already been said but the important takeaway's I see are, mission drives the gear, and selection is a very personal decision. What works for me, may not work for you. What may be a consideration for you, may not be one for me. So let me say up front that budget is a topic I really cant speak to. My interest are focused towards the upper echelon of optics. I have nothing to offer in the category of low to mid level optics and mounts.  So the two things I have to add to this conversation are this. Instead of calling it zombies or apocalypse etc etc, Im just going to call it operational envelope. How many things do you want your optic to allow you to do and how well you can do it? Something like an Aimpoint has a much smaller envelope than say a US Optics SR8C. Now of course a consideration in selection is what trade offs you are willing to accept to expand that envelope. An increase in weight for example. Now it sounded to me like the OP wanted a broad operational envelope. At least that's what I would interpret the needs to be for an optic that can cover the broadest spectrum of situations. That's what I think would be ideal for a scenario that knows little limits to what you could run into. So completely identifying what you want to accomplish (mission drives the gear) is going to give you your check box list to use against the optics you are considering. Do your research and determine how broad that envelope is. This will largely be determined by your own comfort level on what compromises you are willing to make and what outlier scenarios you may feel are an unworthy pursuit. It probably makes sense to separate your selections into 3 categories, RDS, fixed and variable. Off course the scope of the optics need to match the capabilities of the weapon system its self.

Now, lets talk about software for a second. By software I mean the program running between your ears. THIS is what, in my opinion, makes optics a truly personal selection. What you see, how well you see it, how fast your brain(software) interprets it all plays a part in that selection. Some people's brains can accept the visual input of seeing a reticle much better than others. Other peoples brains seem to want a red dot for input and have a hard time dealing with a reticle. So if your one of those people that has a software issue with reticles, the tradeoffs may not be worth it. It may cause you to have a glaring operational hole. What good is it to have top end if at the bottom you shoot MUCH slower than you would with a red dot. Something to consider.

There are a bunch of other considerations too. Night vision compatibility. Eye relief. Adjustable diopter. Your own vision. Its a deep rabbit hole. A lot to consider. Optics is a world of compromises and trade offs. But one thing I have found to be true, buy the best that you can. Cheap optics are more expensive in the long run.

Shane, your insight is outstanding as usual.

Regarding the Trijicon 1-6, how do you define a 'usable reticle'? I have heard rumors bouncing about the interwebs about a BDC chevron.

Any word to BDC being calibrated for .308, perchance?

Thanks Shane45, solid wisdom. I guess my real problem is trying to predict what my envelope will be... Variable does seem like the most well rounded choice, however, considering your post in it's entirety, I don't think I need that type of flexibility. My AO (so to speak) doesn't have many places where you would need that kind of magnification (i.e. don't get caught in the middle of the street). Plus, with my rifle/ skills it would be ideal for me to keep things a bit closer.

I really think High Exposure hit the nail with the RDS and binoculars. lol IMHO the best kind fight is the one you can avoid. Especially in a SHTF.