Sign in to follow this  
fatty

Sig - DAK trigger

Anyone have experience with Sig's DAK trigger?

If so, how do you like it?

I know it's setup is different than a typical DAO with the way the reset plays (2 reset points:  1st reset pull @ 8lbs and full-reset pull @ 5-6lbs?), but I have yet to see or handle one myself.  Also, am I understanding the reset points correctly?

DAK stands for Double Action Kellerman, after the man that invented the system. The whole point of DAK is that there are two different trigger reset points - thus two different lengths of pull. It takes a lot of practice to get acclimated to the trigger and being able to feel the reset points and make a conscious decision as to which to use, especially under stress. I've spoken with the firearms trainer of the Phila DA's office (they are equipped withP229's with the DAK system) and he told me that, once acclimated, it is just a matter of muscle memory.

So, why two different reset points and what's the advantage? If you are close-up and personal and rate (quantity) of fire is the primary concern, as opposed to accuracy (quality), you use the shorter reset point - less distance to cycle the trigger = faster rate of fire. Downside of that position is that with the shorter reset, you have less leverage on the trigger linkage so your weight of pull is higher.

For aimed accurate/non-hurried fire, use the longer reset and you get a lighter pull (longer reset = more leverage, less weight). There is approximately 1.5# - 2# difference in the weight of pull between the two reset points. In a stressful situation, you probably won't notice the difference.

The hammer always works from the partially cocked (hammer intercept notch) position, except in the case of a misfire, where the hammer will be all the way down, since the slide didn't cycle.

You can demonstrate the two different reset points with an empty gun. Pull the trigger (after checking to make sure that it is unloaded, of course) and hold the trigger to the rear of the trigger guard. Cycle the slide manually, with the other hand, and then slowly release the trigger. You will hear a distinct click at the first reset point. If you continue to release the trigger, you will hear a click for the second reset. Repeat the exercise, but don't go to the second reset, just pull the trigger again after the first reset point is heard/felt. Repeat but let it go to the second before pulling again (don't forget you have to manually cycle the slide between trigger pulls) - now you have felt the difference in the trigger pulls caused by the DAK system.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a P229 originally with the DAK trigger. I don't know about separate reset points. But I never felt the 'first' (heavier) trigger weight when shooting live, because I never had a misfire. As Bob noted, every time the slide operates, either manually or under fire, the trigger/hammer is set at the second (partially cocked, lesser weight, shorter pull) position. And it stays there until such time as the hammer drops and the slide does not operate, for whatever reason. So in my experience and in the practical sense there's only one primary trigger pull, the lighter one. I presume the design provided the heavier one so that you can still pull the trigger on a dead round to try again. And there is no de-cocker on the DAK to go back (safely) from the second position to the first.

Nevertheless, I eventually converted it to the standard SA/DA trigger. I prefer the SA mode on the Sigs. Except of course for the SAOs.

Geoff - No the gun fires from the hammer intercept notch regardless from which reset point the trigger is pulled. The difference in pull weights results from the difference in the amount of leverage you have (the distance the trigger travels). First reset point results in a shorter but heavier pull, while the more distant reset point gives you a longer but lighter pull. As you pointed out, the only time the hammer is fully forward is when the trigger has been pulled, but the slide hasn't cycled - not really sure whether that results in a heavier pull or not. Logic would dictate that it would.

Adios,

Pizza Bob