mipafox

Newark police recovered .22 caliber machine gun equipped with a silencer

Newark police arrest man with loaded machine gun

Newark police recovered Saturday morning a .22 caliber machine gun equipped with a silencer

17434829-mmmain.jpg

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2015/04/newark_police_machine.html#incart_2box_essex_index.ssf

Newark police officers patrolling the area of South 15th Street arrested and charged on Saturday a man carrying a loaded machine gun, Sgt. Ron Glover said.

Rashad Dawes, 22, was charged with resisting arrest, possession of a high capacity magazine, possession of a prohibited device, possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon, Glover said in a statement.

Around 11 a.m. officers were patrolling the area near South 15th Street and 14th Avenue, when they saw Dawes and another male go into the backyard of an abandoned home on 15th Street, the statement said.

The two men talked and then entered the home through the first floor window. A few minutes later they walked out carrying weapons, the statement said.

After police announced their presence, the men ran in different directions. When Dawes reached the 400 block of South 14th Street, he threw the loaded weapon to the ground and continued running, according to Glover.

Officers arrested Dawes shortly after, the statement said.

The weapon was later identified to be a HKMP5 .22 caliber machine gun, equipped with a silencer, Glover said.

The other male, who remains at large, fled and discarded a weapon that was later identified as a loaded 9mm handgun, the statement said. He remains at large, according to Glover.

"This arrest comes on the heels of several others of its kind by the men and women of the Newark Police Department," Glover said. "The dedication our officers exude is commendable and a testament to the department's resolve to decrease crime and improve upon the quality of life here."

These cops are incredibly stupid.

Never let an opportunity to lie go to waste. I see the Star Ledger is 'checking into' whether or not it's really a machine gun.

Isn't that the cops' job?

Sounds like the Star Ledger got a few hundred emails from people laughing at them or posts on their Facebook page.

From the Walther Arms page (italics mine):

"The HK SD Semi-Automatic Rifle is the full-time suppressed version of the MP5 submachine gun."

If that's a suppressor I'll eat my HK45.

http://www.waltherarms.com/mp5-sd/

I just contacted Walther to make the correction.

By the way the story is written the guy was probably breaking a law or 2. But instead of correctly charging him they went full retard. Now guys who would normally not care will contribute to a defense fund just so it doesn't out law all fake cans in the future

The stock could be pinned and the mag could be blocked ..... those HK .22 replicas came out last year or so and are made by Walther, they also make a .22 uzi and i think a Colt M4 but am not sure off the top of my head.... There is no select fire if you zoom in on the pic.... so a " machine gun " that fires one round at a time is a semi auto ?? Those replicas sell for around $400 online at places lime impact or buds guns ....

They are reporting what the police told them. They quoted the police in the article.

Agreed. On its face, it appears to be a NJ "Assault Weapon" but it definitely isn't a machine gun or a real HKMP5. :facepalm:

From the Walther Arms page (italics mine):

"The HK SD Semi-Automatic Rifle is the full-time suppressed version of the MP5 submachine gun."

If that's a suppressor I'll eat my HK45.

http://www.waltherarms.com/mp5-sd/

I just contacted Walther to make the correction.

The gun the in article is not the same as the SD version in the advertisement.

Agreed. On its face, it appears to be a NJ "Assault Weapon" but it definitely isn't a machine gun or a real HKMP5. :facepalm:

I have a few HK clones including HK33, G3 and MP5 (9mm and 10mm) all NJ legal but look very "evil". I have Navy trigger housing on all of them (Safe-Semi-Burst-Auto).

I would hope most PD's know it's not FA and that NJSP Firearms Unit knows what a semi and auto pack look like, the blocking shelf, etc. but this has always bothered me...what if they mistake it for a FA?

The gun the in article is not the same as the SD version in the advertisement.

So noted. It's the MP5 A5, which is not full auto, suppressed, or compensated either. Nice dimples in the shroud though. And after looking closely, I would prefer the A5 profile.Thanx.

http://www.waltherarms.com/mp5-a5/

P.S. Now that it's not a 'machine gun' story anymore, it's also not on the home page or most comments section. They're no fun at all.