Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Question on the Pistol Permit portion of FID application

Hello all. I'm in the process of filling out the application for my FID card and I see the Pistol Permit application is part of the same form. I noticed that they ask for how many permits you would like to request. I wanted to know under what circumstances can you request more than one pistol permit at a time? I know the rule is one pistol per thirty day period so I was wondering what the exceptions are to that rule. Thanks in advance.

There is no limit on the number of permits for which you can apply.

• However, permits to purchase a pistol are only valid for 90 days from the issue date. So, typically you would only be able to use 3 within that 90-day window.
  • You may be able to have them extended for an additional 90 days, for a total of 180 days from the issue date. Extension of permits is entirely at the discretion of your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer. He/she does not have issue an extension. Some do, some won't, some want you to provide an explanation for needing the extension. 
  • If you plan on taking possession of multiple handguns at one time, you can apply for a exception to the one-gun-a-month rule. Such exceptions go through the State Police and are usually granted without any issue. 

I always apply for 3 permits.... I get one hand gun per month..... My wife says... "Can't you buy just one?"..... I alway tell her it's the law in New Jersey...... I have to get 3....... I think she knows I'm full of it and lets me get 3 anyway...... I have a very cool wife....

There is no limit on the number of permits for which you can apply.

• However, permits to purchase a pistol are only valid for 90 days from the issue date. So, typically you would only be able to use 3 within that 90-day window.
  • You may be able to have them extended for an additional 90 days, for a total of 180 days from the issue date. Extension of permits is entirely at the discretion of your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer. He/she does not have issue an extension. Some do, some won't, some want you to provide an explanation for needing the extension. 
  • If you plan on taking possession of multiple handguns at one time, you can apply for a exception to the one-gun-a-month rule. Such exceptions go through the State Police and are usually granted without any issue. 

This.  To prove a point, I put down 10 on my last round of applications, I was issued 10.  There is no "limit" - anyone that tells you that there is a limit is in violation of the law, period.  We have got to stop being pussies about these "camel nose under the tent" incursions on our freedom.  Yes, I wasted 4 or 5 of those permits (OMG at $2 a piece I'm going to go BROKE!), but I proved a point, and had I actually stumbled upon an exemption worthy collection, I may not have wasted any of those permits...

My town renews them on the spot after 90 days, so I get 6 every time, knowing that finances will usually only allow for 2 or 3 purchases. But, I like buying used guns, and you never know what you will find on the discount rack. If I am out of funds for a real gun, but I see something interesting for cheap, I may try it out just for kicks.

I always apply for 3 permits.... I get one hand gun per month..... My wife says... "Can't you buy just one?"..... I alway tell her it's the law in New Jersey...... I have to get 3....... I think she knows I'm full of it and lets me get 3 anyway...... I have a very cool wife....

Lol!  I like that!  Think I'm going to use it.

For my last set of permits I asked and got 5. When I picked them uop I had the chief extend 3 of them on the spot. He did it no questions asked. Saves me the trip back at the 90-day mark, and there's no downside I can see.

Anyone else get permits extended on day 1?