Sign in to follow this  
mustang69

Anyone hear of Galesi firearms?

I saw this in the LGS display cabinet and bought just because it was in such nice shape.

It's a 1965 Galesi model 503B in .25acp.

Looks like it spent it's entire life in the box, doesn't look like it was ever fired, or even loaded for that matter. Based on the price it doesn't seem to be very collectible. Just wondering if anyone has opinions on them?

This is exactly why I keep a fresh permit ready at all times.

post-5531-0-85896700-1428686564_thumb.jpg

I finally had a chance to shoot this.  Put 25 rounds through it at the range - I've think I've fired airsoft handguns with more felt recoil.  No issues with it, a fun little shooter inside of 5 yards.  Past that and where the bullet goes is anybody's guess.

I've think I've fired airsoft handguns with more felt recoil. 

That's not surprising, 25 ACP has between half to a third of the muzzle energy of a modern .22 from a reasonable length barrel. It was meant to duplicate a .22 fired from a 2" barrel, and we are talking about early 1900's .22's not the fast burners of today. 

I saw this in the LGS display cabinet and bought just because it was in such nice shape.

It's a 1965 Galesi model 503B in .25acp.

Looks like it spent it's entire life in the box, doesn't look like it was ever fired, or even loaded for that matter. Based on the price it doesn't seem to be very collectible. Just wondering if anyone has opinions on them?

This is exactly why I keep a fresh permit ready at all times.

attachicon.gifGalesi 503B.jpg

Looks to be very clean given the age, if you don't mind what did you pay for it?

That's not surprising, 25 ACP has between half to a third of the muzzle energy of a modern .22 from a reasonable length barrel. It was meant to duplicate a .22 fired from a 2" barrel, and we are talking about early 1900's .22's not the fast burners of today.

Let's forget "reasonable length barrel". Compare to a 2" barrel common on 25s and same size 22s. Velocity is about the same in a 22 or 25 in a 2" barrel. Energy about the same 40 to 50 ft lbs.

Guns like this were commonly used as SD guns before the Internet taught us you need at least a 9mm for SD.

I'm not professing the 25 as an ideal SD caliber but have knowledge of many times a 22 or 25 in a mouse gun worked.

Looks to be very clean given the age, if you don't mind what did you pay for it?

$175 + NICS.  In original box, only missing the instruction sheet.  Didn't look like it was ever fired based on the mag and barrel condition.

$175 + NICS.  In original box, only missing the instruction sheet.  Didn't look like it was ever fired based on the mag and barrel condition.

You got a good deal :)

I was bidding on one in December and it hit $150 with no box or papers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was hardly fired, someone could have bought and shot it a few times, in a pocket it goes..

Might be worth locating an extra mag or two and some springs if you decide to make it a shooter, parts IIRC can be a PITA to get.

Let's forget "reasonable length barrel". Compare to a 2" barrel common on 25s and same size 22s. Velocity is about the same in a 22 or 25 in a 2" barrel. Energy about the same 40 to 50 ft lbs.

Guns like this were commonly used as SD guns before the Internet taught us you need at least a 9mm for SD.

I'm not professing the 25 as an ideal SD caliber but have knowledge of many times a 22 or 25 in a mouse gun worked.

A well placed shot from a 22 or .25 auto will ruin someones day...I would have no issue carrying one for deep concealment.