Shawnmoore81

Ground hog tourney

Very cool. congrats on the success. I have a serious question. Has anyone tried eating one? if so how was it?  Reason I ask is my wife and son just got there hunter education cert yesterday and my son was asking whats in season besides turkey. lol. My son has been taught that anything we shoot we have to use/eat. Over the years (long time ago) I have killed a couple for farmers but never tried to eat them. just curious if anyone has tried it.

again congrats on the success. I see those pics and I see lots of cows/horses happy that there will less holes to step in.

Nick

My friend's wife eats them. She got mad at my other friend because he just kicks them down the hole. She said she would come by and get them and asked him to save them. Then a 2nd girl chimed in and said she would clean them for Girl #1 if she could keep the pelt and they agreed.

I live in a weird place.

Nice shooting, Shawn. I've never heard of that many pigs east of the Mississippi.

Yeah, I'd like to get in on that too, sounds like fun

Serious questions here --  Do you ever have any fear of shooting too many this early in the year? -- Aren't the young still too young to survive without mom?

I've been holding off shooting the hogs on my hunting property with the thoughts of having more targets later in the season if I let the moms raise their young now -- Am I smoking crack?

Serious questions here -- Do you ever have any fear of shooting too many this early in the year? -- Aren't the young still too young to survive without mom?

I've been holding off shooting the hogs on my hunting property with the thoughts of having more targets later in the season if I let the moms raise their young now -- Am I smoking crack?

The only good woodchuck is a dead woodchuck! Kill as many as you can whenever you can. They really can do some serious damage if population goes un checked. I've eaten them before their good to eat. Total vegetarian, I have zero problem with consuming what's left after I sail a .22/250 through them. Usually cutting them in half... they're a problem on the farm I hunt. The farmer has had to put down horses because they stepped into holes. It's my job to eliminate them with extreme prejudice.

Serious questions here --  Do you ever have any fear of shooting too many this early in the year? -- Aren't the young still too young to survive without mom?

They're pests. If they are out in the woods, fine. If they are in your fields, dust them. Same with yotes. Pigs aint going extinct any time soon.