SuperSixOne

Is it legal? Survival AR-7

Hi Guys,

So recently I have seen a lot about the original Stoner AR-7 survival rifle going around on YouTube and the internet. It has peaked my interest in the sense that its designed to be a "backup" of sorts when going out hiking or camping, subsequently getting lost or hurt while needing to hunt for food or use as protection. It brings up a few interesting questions.

Is this rifle legal in NJ? Does the storage-ability of the rifle trigger any of NJ's fine print?

Is it legal to carry in that compact form on public land? Can I stick it in my bag and be legal. (This is assuming I fall under the Right to Carry for rifles when using an FPID, unloaded etc)

Looking forward in your responses. 

My opinion (IANAL):

You can carry it, unloaded.  I wouldn't keep the mags in the stock in the storage compartment.

Note:  the majority of .22LR rounds are HP rounds...  Make sure you find round nosed rounds to load up with if you're trekking around.

My opinion (IANAL):

You can carry it, unloaded.  I wouldn't keep the mags in the stock in the storage compartment.

Note:  the majority of .22LR rounds are HP rounds...  Make sure you find round nosed rounds to load up with if you're trekking around.

Oh Nick! Not the HP thing again!

But since a loaded mag is a loaded firearm in PRNJ I certainly wouldn't carry it with loaded mags.

Oh Nick! Not the HP thing again!

But since a loaded mag is a loaded firearm in PRNJ I certainly wouldn't carry it with loaded mags.

Meh - Personally I would load the mags - with the gun being broken down, it can't fire.  I would store the mags in a different pocket though.

But yeah - HP thing... I'd have to go through my stash of .22LR but I know the majority of it is HP.

I have owned an AR7 since about 1975. I've owned Armalite, Charter, and now a Henry version. All functioned well for me but the Henry is the best build quality.

Oh Nick! Not the HP thing again!But since a loaded mag is a loaded firearm in PRNJ I certainly wouldn't carry it with loaded mags.

Old School, what is the basis for you considering a loaded magazine a firearm. No where in the statutes or case law I know of.

I have owned an AR7 since about 1975. I've owned Armalite, Charter, and now a Henry version. All functioned well for me but the Henry is the best build quality.

Griz - I have mag feed issues with my Charter.  Have you found any mags that work well?  Or is it ammo specific?  Henry mags work in Charter?

Meh - Personally I would load the mags - with the gun being broken down, it can't fire.  I would store the mags in a different pocket though.

But yeah - HP thing... I'd have to go through my stash of .22LR but I know the majority of it is HP.

Nick - I think you have it backwards.

The consensus was when we shot USPSA was not to load your mags before you got to the match because a loaded mag was a loaded firearm in NJ.

As far as the HP thing that's " The possession of hollow points in the commission of a crime" charge.

Old School, what is the basis for you considering a loaded magazine a firearm. No where in the statutes or case law I know of.

Griz - The statutes suck and are subject to interpretation. This is what I've accepted as the law. I'm not a lawyer and I have one in my cell phone. See what I sent to Nick. I refuse to quote chapter and verse.

You're a nice guy. Accept it or don't accept it. I bought my first handgun at 21 and now collect SS. In all those years I haven't been jammed up. So in a practical sense I've followed the law.

Not this whole thing again, Frank.  I've seen that spread around like crazy with no backup.  If I have a NJ Legal mag in my pocket with FMJ Rounds, how is that a loaded gun?  It won't go off by itself.  Loaded mag stored in the same compartment as a gun may be construed as a loaded gun, but not if it's separate or in another pocket of a bag, etc.  Even at USPSA/IDPA events I've never heard that.

You guys do realize you just set us back about 10 years. You now have a whole bunch of newbies on here scratching their heads.

For the record:

There is nothing in the statutes that prohibit having loaded magazines - they are not considered a firearm.

Hollowpoints may be possessed and transported under the exemptions noted in the statutes. Possession of hollowpoints outside the exemptions is a stand alone crime.

As if it isn't hard enough to understand our morass of firearms laws.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You guys do realize you just set us back about 10 years. You now have a whole bunch of newbies on here scratching their heads.

For the record:

There is nothing in the statutes that prohibit having loaded magazines - they are not considered a firearm.

Hollowpoints may be possessed and transported under the exemptions noted in the statutes. Possession of hollowpoints outside the exemptions is a stand alone crime.

As if it isn't hard enough to understand our morass of firearms laws.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob - How so on the set back?

And you're saying if I have my Glock in the case in the trunk and 3 loaded magazines out side of the mag well NJSP Johnny Law is going to smile at me and say have a nice day?

Agreed - OP just mentioned he'd be hiking around - most likely in public lands outside of his own and ranges.  That's why I said to leave the HP's at home.

And you're saying if I have my Glock in the case in the trunk and 3 loaded magazines out side of the mag well NJSP Johnny Law is going to smile at me and say have a nice day?

If he knows the law he will. If you are at the point where you have a LEO rooting around in your trunk or range bag, you have bigger problems than legally transporting loaded magazines.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Johnny Law may hook u up but Judge Harry Stone will let you off.

As far as the HP thing that's " The possession of hollow points in the commission of a crime" charge.

Finally! I just felt in my bones we'd get one of these today from a long time member, I just thought it would be in the other thread :D

Old School - Possession of a HP outside of extremely limited exceptions (similar to but more strict than possession of a handgun) is 16 months in jail. Putting an HP .22 in your pocket and walking from your house to your neighbor's house is 16 months in jail.

Finally! I just felt in my bones we'd get one of these today from a long time member, I just thought it would be in the other thread :D

Old School - Possession of a HP outside of extremely limited exceptions (similar to but more strict than possession of a handgun) is 16 months in jail. Putting an HP .22 in your pocket and walking from your house to your neighbor's house is 16 months in jail.

And I bet you are laughing you ass of at us on this side of the river!

Is it legal to carry in that compact form on public land? Can I stick it in my bag and be legal.

Short answer No.

you can't go hiking in NJ with your rifle unless your a licensed hunter during the prescribed season for that caliber rifle. As well as following all other game code rules for firearms hunting. Like: no more than 3 round in your magazine, 200 square inches of hunter orange, predator call in your posession, ect. Walk into NJ public game land with a gun outside of hunting seasons, and your caught, they defacto assume your poaching. It's written in the game code. The conservation officer can confiscate your gun, and write you multiple summons.