gfl216

New 9 mm

I was cleaning a few guns today after a trip to the range and after looking into the safe I'm starting to get the feeling that I need a new pistol in 9 mm. I would love to pick up a Hi-Power but that may be a little over budget. I think right now the CZ 75 is in first place.

Any other suggestions?

effd...

I just ordered my p320C in 9mm. I will be picking it up in mid-May. Can't wait. I then see a full-sized .45 ACP xchange kit in my future. I am loving the modular gun idea. Legos for grown-ups.

gfl....

I really do not like the shop, but I stopped by ShoreShot tonight out of boredom. They have a CZ-75 in the used case.

dajonga'

Thanks, but I don't have a p2p yet and in my town it could take over 6 months. I'm really just looking for some ideas.

I'm not really a big fan of Shore Shot either, I cant wait for the guys that bought Brick Armory to open. Everything I see about them is positive.

I swore I was FOREVER a steel & wood gun kinda guy.......until I fondled the Sig p320. It feels amazing in hand, and the trigger is unbelievable (dry fired only in a shop)

I will take delivery of mine in mid-May.

I have a membership already to go at Garden State Shooting Center (shop formerly known as Brick Armory).

You are more than welcome to join me at GSSC or Range 14 when I get it. 

What town are you in? I am in Berkeley. They used to take 3 months for P2Ps. This last round only took 6 weeks. I guess the new system works.

I'm in Manchester. When I moved here 13 yrs ago it took 9 months just for an address change. Since then I've never had a p2p approved in less than 6 months. The word I got was that the old police chief would sit on p2p apps because he didn't like the idea of civilians owning guns and thought only his cops should have guns. He just retired and we got a new chief about a month ago. I'm hoping maybe she will change things and I'll have better luck getting a permit in a reasonable time frame........................................................I can only hope.

CZ's are great guns.  I have two CZ75B and love them.  I would avoid the Omega trigger, there are better options.  Get the regular one and then install a competition hammer and springs, it will give you a better trigger pull than the Omega with more standardized parts. (Yes those are my 2 CZs in the sig line)

I have a Hi-Power that I love. Ted Yost gave it a great trigger. But all being fair my CZ's shoot as good if not better for a lot less money. My CZ PCR which is a compact 75 is my favorite pistol. I now have 4 CZ's all accurate, soft shooting and not expensive at all. You will never regret it.

I have 3 9 mm's that I like all of them equally. 1) Taurus PT 92 AF   2) Sig Sauer P 226  and 3) Glock 19 Gen 4. They are all 15 shot mags, & I have 6 for each of them. The Taurus & Sig are full size models, & the G 19 is a mid size that is my favorite for carry purposes. I also like the 19 since it is the NYPD handgun, so I figure if it if good enough for the NYPD, it is good enough for me. 

I also like the 19 since it is the NYPD handgun, so I figure if it if good enough for the NYPD, it is good enough for me.

Does NYPD carry with the State required 10 round mags with only 7 rounds in it?

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Nothing against the Glock 19, but just keep in mind that police departments and the military purchase guns based more on a matter of price than on quality.  If they are more creative they may do it on a combination of price and maintenance costs; but it typically is not based on getting the best quality item.

I originally posted this in another thread in this forum and now realize that it is probably more appropriate here.

Before I purchased any guns, I rented quite a few handguns in different calibers, at the ranges I am a member at. My intention was to give each gun a “test drive” and experience the various subtle nuances between the design differences and feel of various manufacturers and models.

From this exploration experience, I decided that I prefer full size 9mm semi-automatics the best for general shooting, followed by .45 ACP semi-automatics. Since NJ does not allow CC, I really do not feel the need for a compact or sub-compact handgun. Also, I may decide to pursue participating in one of the sanctioned pistol competition organizations, (i.e. IDPA, IPSC or USPSA), and if I do then I like the 9mm format.

I learned to appreciate most of these guns for their reputations and proven reliability. I could see firsthand their individual unique aspects and variations in built quality fit and finish and different trigger feel and pressure required. I have been enjoying learning the differences and feel between a hammer vs. striker action; polymer vs. metal; light vs. heavy weight, various sight styles and configurations, different barrel lengths, and ultimately how they feel in my hand and the resulting accuracy in shooting them at various distances. One interesting discovery is that I am a bit more accurate firing a heavier pistol.  My first handgun purchases have been new 9mm semi-automatic models.

After that I think it will be to progress on to a .45 ACP handgun, most likely with the tried and true traditional 1911 platform. Probably a very high quality semi-automatic 1911 from a very reputable manufacturer.

AVB-AMG

Nothing against the Glock 19, but just keep in mind that police departments and the military purchase guns based more on a matter of price than on quality.  If they are more creative they may do it on a combination of price and maintenance costs; but it typically is not based on getting the best quality item.

Can't really go wrong with the Glock 19 G4. Never heard anyone ever complain of the quality of a Glock.

Can't really go wrong with the Glock 19 G4. Never heard anyone ever complain of the quality of a Glock.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them.  They are super reliable and fairly accurate.  I've got three of them, and will be picking up a fourth tomorrow.  But they aren't nearly as accurate as something like an STI, when it is behaving.  

howard:

I am not familiar with STI handguns, so I visited their web site.    http://stiguns.com/

Very impressive collection.....   especially if one is considering purchasing a gun for competition.

Do you own one?  If so, which one, what caliber and your overall impression about it, having shot numerous rounds through it?

AVB-AMG

Howard may be the wrong person to ask. He kind of has the Midas touch, in reverse, when it comes to guns. STI is a very popular choice for competition shooters that want a 1911 or 2011 platform. They generally are well made reliable firearms. The company is employee owned, so they all have vested interests in producing a quality product.

While I primarily compete with revolvers, I have an STI USPSA single-stack 1911 in 9 mm. It has been flawless through about 1K rounds. Others on this board have other models and may chime in, but they are well regarded firearms.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've got an STI Trojan 9mm that I got from Dawson Precision with their CRP package which includes competition sights, extended (legal) IDPA mag release and magwell.  I love the gun, probably the most accurate one I own.  1911's are not as reliable as Glocks, but they are much more fun to shoot.  When mine works it works great.  I consider my problem to be something in the air in Easton PA - as that is about the only place I seem to have issues with the gun :)  I would recommend them.  You can check them out at RTSP as they have a nice collection and I believe have a couple in the rental department as well.