Bushmaster1313

What happens if currently owned black rifles are reclassified as NJ assault weapons

I am pretty sure that NJ has never grandfathered anything when it comes to gun legislation. They would most likely give you an option to sell out of state within a given time period, or possibly render the gun incapable of firing and registering it with the State Police like other anti-gun states. CT comes to mind after Newtown happened.

I asked about this and the previous NJAWB.

There ARE some people who registered their NJ "assault weapons" and own them today, but they are few and far between. You have a few options really:

1. GTFO, the rifle or you

2. Register, enjoy your rifle. Risk confiscation

3. Floorboard. 

My philosophy is, there are a crapton of people who stumbled upon Grandaddys MG42 or DIAS SP1 in free america that he never bothered to register. If you own an AR15, the price of lowers is cheap enough now that they can be considered an investment. Everyone in free states born in about 1963 or earlier could have invested $1200ish prior to '86 and be sitting on a $30k gun now. 

I want to know if 80% builds can be registered if 1994 ever comes around again.

When the NJ AWB took effect you had the following options:

1. Keep a M1A, AR, or M1 carbine operational you could register it for $50 or deactivate it for $5 (IIRC the $5).

2. Dispose of it out of state.

3. Move the gun out of state.

The issue with the M1A, AR, and M1 Carbine is they are used for high power/service rifle competition. Thats why you could keep them (for $50 registration). IIRC if you use them for high power/service rifle you can keep normal capacity (20 & 30 rd) magazines.

After reading this thread, it is a shame there are a bunch of girls in this state that own guns.  And not the cool real ladies that know how to use them. 

• Like 1

they would have to allow you to register them...but would you?

get ready...it's coming. Especially with the morons doing a recall on the senate president 

Do you really think that clown won't do it if we don't try to recall him?  If you really think about it and you want to have guns in NJ, the big guy, who really isn't a friend of gun owners, anyway, and we might see it if he no longer has national Asspirations, well, he won't be in there for forever, and marginally getting our backs.  So, who is on the short list to replace him?  At that point and time do you think things will go good?  No, right.  So, maybe our only hope is to enlist the fudds, non-believers, naysayers, etc. and sink that pathetic, lying, no good, NJ politician. A message has to be sent to the party, and in particular his replacement. 

Sweeny turned on the state/public workers when he sided with the narcissist governor on his sham pension reform so there's  more citizens other than gun owners who were affected by this punk.    If you noticed sweeny is trying to fool the state workers again by saying he will fully fund the pension in 2016 for his bid to run for governor thinking they will forget what he did with Christie.    If the gun owners can team up with public workers who knows maybe its possible.     We ( citizens ) just don't know what quid pro quo arraignments he has made with Christie to protect him. 

they would have to allow you to register them...but would you?

get ready...it's coming. Especially with the morons doing a recall on the senate president 

My God what a pussy. If there is anyone in the state that deserves to get screwed its cowards like you.  Why don't you just shut the fuck up or do something to help.

I don't see too many people registering, selling or handing in their black rifles.

To avoid this, a massive and expensive get out the vote campaign is needed to turn the legislature red and defeat Sweeney if he runs for gov. Unfortunately, the only kind of candidate that will beat him is another RINO like Christie. And I can't think of too many on that short list. Chris Smith is one that comes to mind. And Steve Lonegan may want to try again. A bigger problem for republicans is if Cory Booker decides that he wants to be governor. He's a liberal rock star and will bring about a big turnout among dem voters.

Another tactic....and the dems do this a lot. Every R in NJ should vote for the worst pick in the dem primary. Primaries have low turnouts. Serve up the worst dem and they are screwed.

I think Christie would lose if he could run again. People are done with him. He an anti 2A lite, global warming supporting, do nothing about taxes and welfare kind of guy.

I think either the R machine will just give up before the election and let a conservative run with no party support. A sacrificial lamb, or they'll find someone they like and put money on the line. But the party here will never support a conservative like Ted Cruz or Rick Santorum. Just picking some conservatives that come to mind.

IIRC, the compliance rate after the last ban was believed to be around 2/10 of 1%. Just more guns that will be carefully rezeroed, oiled up, then put away for that rainy day, and the forecast isn't good.

Agree

I got a little off topic.

I also wonder if the NRA will actually support NJ in any meaningful way? If they did anything in either NY or CT...it wasn't effective.

First off it you think they will be only targeting "black rifles" think again.  I would say all semi autos handgun rifle shotgun will be on the list. They will go for the moon on this one and most likely get it.  Kiss it all good by.  No registration, no grandfathering, six months to get rid of it or move it out of state.  Permits to keep them will cost you big bucks ever year.  Look for the FID to change too! Training courses, yearly fees, etc!  This state is broke and they have no problem raising funds where they need to.  All niche categories will get hammered with fee raises for income.  This state is toast financially.  Sales tax increase, gas tax increase, income tax increase. Get ready its on its way.  Every state run by Democrats is in the toilet.  Their answer, more taxes.  What happens when the other peoples money runs out?.

The new guns laws will make NY CT and MD look lame.  New Jersey has felt it always needed to be better that CA.  We will suffer big time on this one. I beginning to believe the ballot box may not even save us.  Just too many stupid people believing the garbage coming from their mouths.  Its about their livelihood not about your quality of life or freedoms.

Lots of post-ban black rifles out there.   if New Jersey goes the way of New York or Maryland, and bans semi-auto's with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, will there be any grandfathering?

Joining a registered club is not so easy.

The last time there was a ban, a tiny percentage were registered/distroyed/sold out of state.  The rest were quietly put away in the safe.

I'm assuming that the NJSP has now scanned the log books for every FFL that has gone out of business in the last 30 years and that they're collecting photos of log book pages as they make compliance visits to FFLs.  If all of our rifles aren't already registered, they are being cataloged now.

I still don't think we'll have to worry about anybody going door to door- even though I believe they have the names and addresses.   Too many people would get hurt.

hmmm.... I see that creepy cold tingling on the back of the neck is starting to set in. Lets look into the crystal ball and see what the future may bring. For starters...  http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.anjrpc.org/resource/resmgr/ds-email/gun_control_list_03-22-13.pdf  

http://conservativenewjersey.com/nj-liberals-introduce-17-gun-control-bills-today

just blow off the dust, move around a few words dot the i's cross the t's and ready for the govs pen....

this shit is real and here in black & white. Dont say they didnt warn you.

Agree

I got a little off topic.

I also wonder if the NRA will actually support NJ in any meaningful way? If they did anything in either NY or CT...it wasn't effective.

then nra apparently doesn't give a #$^ about us here. they make their money keeping people panicked. there is no money in curing the disease, only in treating the disease.

Just like cancer and alzheimers. There will never be a cure, only treatments.

I choose the support the NRA with hundreds of dollars per year. Hopefully that will make up for those haters.

• Like 1

hmmm.... I see that creepy cold tingling on the back of the neck is starting to set in. Lets look into the crystal ball and see what the future may bring. For starters...  http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.anjrpc.org/resource/resmgr/ds-email/gun_control_list_03-22-13.pdf

http://conservativenewjersey.com/nj-liberals-introduce-17-gun-control-bills-today

just blow off the dust, move around a few words dot the i's cross the t's and ready for the govs pen....

this shit is real and here in black & white. Dont say they didnt warn you.

This one might be my favorite... even with so many to choose from....

Requires psychological evaluation and in-home inspection as prerequisite to purchase firearm.

Lots of post-ban black rifles out there.   if New Jersey goes the way of New York or Maryland, and bans semi-auto's with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, will there be any grandfathering?

Joining a registered club is not so easy.

BTW you can read more about this in our Pending Legislative Discussion header look for S532 (see, they're way ahead of ya)