koontz946

Trying to decide on a bolt action .308

I'm trying to decide on a .308 rifle. The rifle will be my first bolt action purchase.

I've been researching this buy for a few months, and the Rem 700 platform has definitely come up the most. Unfortunately, when I started my search, Remington had just issued the recall on the XMP trigger. The rifle I wanted, and may still wind up getting, was the 700P LTR, which has the 40X trigger. I was told that, due to the recall on the XMP, everyone was buying just the 40X trigger systems, so no LTRs were available. Great timing!

As far as what the rifle will be used for:

-Target @ 100 - 300 yds primarily

-Hunting (never hunted before, but I have the opportunity to through family/friends)

I also looked at the Mossberg MVP Patrol (pretty sure that was the model) and one thing it had that I haven't seen on other rifles is fixed sights.

I'm at about a $2000 budget for rifle and accessories (bipod would be nice, scope and rings are a must)... I've been hawking sniperhide's classifieds and good Lord do those rigs get pricey!

Any other models I should look into? I know Savage and Ruger are reputable companies but I rarely see them come up as suggestions.

Any advice, questions, or suggestions are welcome... Thanks!

Savage is IMHO the most accurate out of the box and competitively priced.

I don't like the Accustock or the bolt release down by the trigger guard either.

The model 12 is their premier rifle. Out to 300 I'm sure any out of the box Savage will suit your purpose.

Here's a nice combo that won't break the bank...Model: 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP

What's your budget?

It may be a little heavy but don't rule out a Springfield M1A. You can find composite stock for about $1300 or walnut for $1400. $500-$600 for a good optic and you're still in under budget.

Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481411325

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Savage is IMHO the most accurate out of the box and competitively priced.

I don't like the Accustock or the bolt release down by the trigger guard either.

The model 12 is their premier rifle. Out to 300 I'm sure any out of the box Savage will suit your purpose.

Here's a nice combo that won't break the bank...Model: 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP

What's your budget?

About $2000 including glass and rings... Regarding the 'accustock and bolt release by the trigger guard' comment, which rifle are you referring to?

It may be a little heavy but don't rule out a Springfield M1A. You can find composite stock for about $1300 or walnut for $1400. $500-$600 for a good optic and you're still in under budget. Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=481411325This signature is AWESOME!!!

I checked out the link you posted and that's not really what I'm looking for (at least not yet!)

What is you likelihood of hunting? There are some real kick ass rifles in your price range if you don't have to carry them all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VERY infrequently... But when I have the opportunity I'd like to have the hardware on hand and be familiar with it.

What do you suggest?

I checked out the link you posted and that's not really what I'm looking for (at least not yet!)

Sorry, forgot about the bolt action part...I've been looking at the Ruger American for hog hunting down here in Lone Star Land.

If it weren't for hunting i'd suggest Savage model 12 that's about a 10 pound rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Open mouth, insert foot)

I'm a rather large guy (6'3" 225lbs) and I do construction for a living... But I know nothing about hunting... Is 10lbs too heavy for occasional hunting? Like once a year?

Sorry, forgot about the bolt action part...I've been looking at the Ruger American for hog hunting down here in Lone Star Land.

A coworker and I were looking over an ad for the Ruger American series and they looked pretty inexpensive...

I believe in 'buy once cry once' and don't really have a need for more than one bolt rifle (in .308) at this point.

Edit: What I mean is; I'd rather buy a platform I can improve to match my style, rather than having to buy a new rifle, and then work on that as well.

(Open mouth, insert foot)

I'm a rather large guy (6'3" 225lbs) and I do construction for a living... But I know nothing about hunting... Is 10lbs too heavy for occasional hunting? Like once a year?

It depends on the kind of hunting and how long you will be walking with the rifle.  10lbs is a bit on the heavy side but if you are going to atv to a tree stand and sit for four hours, it's not a bad deal but if you will be walking for a few hours, three lbs can become back breaking.

Don't let the light weight of the Ruger American lead you to believe it is cheap in any way.  They are extremely accurate rifles.  For what you want to do, mostly range and a little hunting, I believe the Ruger American Predator with the heavier barrel would be a fantastic rifle for you, especially for a first bolt gun.  The RAR line is not pretty or sexy but it has a superb trigger, cold hammer forged free floated barrel and is backed by Ruger's top notch customer service. 

It depends on the kind of hunting and how long you will be walking with the rifle. 10lbs is a bit on the heavy side but if you are going to atv to a tree stand and sit for four hours, it's not a bad deal but if you will be walking for a few hours, three lbs can become back breaking.

I have no idea whether it's tree stand or ground hunting... Maybe I'll weigh my AR and carry it around for a bit to see if it gets uncomfortable

Blending two sports here be careful.  Hunting rifles are different from target rifles!  So is the glass!  A blend is possible but you must give and take a little to each discipline!  Nobody likes carrying a heavy barrel target rifle in the woods deer hunting.  Nobody will take a fine target rifle in the woods deer hunting.  So we have the workhorse get dirty hunting rifle (low end models like Ruger American, Savage, some Remingtons), and the refined target models (too many to list here). 

You need to decide the balance you want in a target / hunting rifle.  Tough decision for sure.  A high end hunting rifle may fit something along the Kimber 84M line, but that is for you to decide.

Don't let the light weight of the Ruger American lead you to believe it is cheap in any way. They are extremely accurate rifles. For what you want to do, mostly range and a little hunting, I believe the Ruger American Predator with the heavier barrel would be a fantastic rifle for you, especially for a first bolt gun. The RAR line is not pretty or sexy but it has a superb trigger, cold hammer forged free floated barrel and is backed by Ruger's top notch customer service.

Oh believe me I know the distinction between 'cheap' and 'inexpensive'... I just don't want to buy a rifle, use it for a while, then want more out of it.

Blending two sports here be careful. Hunting rifles are different from target rifles! So is the glass! A blend is possible but you must give and take a little to each discipline! Nobody likes carrying a heavy barrel target rifle in the woods deer hunting. Nobody will take a fine target rifle in the woods deer hunting. So we have the workhorse get dirty hunting rifle (low end models like Ruger American, Savage, some Remingtons), and the refined target models (too many to list here).

You need to decide the balance you want in a target / hunting rifle. Tough decision for sure. A high end hunting rifle may fit something along the Kimber 84M line, but that is for you to decide.

Good point, and I'm definitely trying to walk that fine line. Factor in my budget, and I feel like I'm looking for a friggin unicorn!

All of my guns are tools...I don't have any Safe Queens or Range Princesses. If I own it, it's for shooting. As far as target vs hunting rifles...I want my hunting rifle to BE my target rifle. I'm hunting for food, if I can't accurately hit a target with it, I'm surely not going to use it to put food in the freezer. Plus, the more you practice with it at the range, the fewer shots wasted in the field. Plus, I don't try to Wow people with how cool or pretty or fancy the gun is as long as it's accurate and functions flawlessly.

I don't shoot my Savage 10FP anymore mostly because my shooting interests have shifted and that gun hasn't left the safe in like 3 years except to be oiled and put back.

However ... it is stupid accurate, boringly so. Getting it to shoot 1MOA was basically "Buy federal match, or load 168gr with pretty much any reasonable charge of BLC2 or Varget". I'm sure it could be made to shoot a heck of a lot better with some load development and a scope better then my Bushnell 3200, but it is simply not my game or interest.

All I done to it was put it in a different stock and thrown in a Rifle Basix trigger that is sub 1lb (the rifle predates the accu-trigger).

You simply can't go wrong with the Savage 10/110 series.

I am also a big fan of the Savage rifles.   I think the Savage 10 FCM Scout s an interesting and versatile rifle.  It is not a Scout rifle in the truest sense as envisioned by Jeff Cooper.  And It comes in 7.62x39 as well.   I like the model 16s, too.  The 16s are nice for their weather resistance. 

Others to consider used at a good price would be Ruger 77, or a Winchester Model 70.   The newer Remingtons seem to have quality issues.  The Ruger American Rifle might be a nice budget rifle and the Mossberg Patrol (in .223) is also really neat, as it takes AR mags. 

-Remington 700 Tactical 308 - 20"  (1-12 twist)

-SWFA 10x Scope

-Butler Creek Lense Caps

-20MOA rail

-Burris RIngs

-Mag Xtender (7+1)

-Voodoo CHeck Rest

-Harris 6"-9" Bipod

Cost < $1500

This will take you out to 800yds - 1000yds depending on your eyesight.

-

-

post-2927-0-81491800-1430649045_thumb.jpg

post-2927-0-34731300-1430649144_thumb.jpg

The above Remmy is a sweet rifle.

Just some Savage facts:

You can buy different bolt heads for different calibers.

You can buy different barrels for different calibers.

So let's say you had a 308 with changes you could go 243 or 7.62X39 on the same action and stock.

Barrels are available chambered in many levels of perfection And with some simple tools and gauges you can install a barrel and

adjust head space at home with out any machines.

I shoot a stock, just bedded, 243. But for about 2-300 could go 308 or even 22-250 or 7.62X39 in a heart beat.

And if that is your cup of tea, you can change the bolt handle on a Savage in 2min or less. You don't need to cut and weld or thread as you might need for other guns.

It is a pretty modular platform and as Old School correctly pointed out it is almost as easy to change the barrel as it would be on an AR and with more calibers to boot.

And if that is your cup of tea, you can change the bolt handle on a Savage in 2min or less. You don't need to cut and weld or thread as you might need for other guns.

It is a pretty modular platform and as Old School correctly pointed out it is almost as easy to change the barrel as it would be on an AR and with more calibers to boot.

Thanks Vlad - But to be perfectly honest if you want a 10 round mag only one guy makes them and they're $100