Taipan

Target stands, build? buy?

I recently joined Shongum and have to take my own target stands.    Tried to build one, but it didn't turn out well.

Anyone have any tips for building, or buying, target stands?

Thanks.

Password protected?

Those are for 1 x 2" frames built to be used in permanent "U" channels in the ground at CJRPC.

Try some from here, http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/forum/139-yagzz-shooting-systems/

If you have a base all you need are a couple of 1" X 2" X 6' furring strips and some 2" spring clamps. 

Clamp cardboard backer to strips, staple or tape target to backer.

Here's mine.

I joined two pieces so they fit the trunk of my car.

post-1437-0-47055900-1430668024_thumb.jpg

Shongum has the same U channels at the 100 yard line for target frames made of 1 x 2 furring strips. Easy to make. You can make your own base from 2 x 3 wood or PVC pipe. Base must be self supporting, use of sand bags or rocks as ballast is not allowed. Neither are metal bases.  Specs are on web site under Range Safety.

My club doesn't provide stands either. My club has rules about how high a stand must be and they provide holes at 50 and 100 yards. The holes fill in from wind, rain and jerks that shoot the PVC liner. I use a 3/4" PVC stand and that is held up by wooden dowls I hammer half way into the ground and put the pipe over the over half. It's not a rock solid design but it works.

Thanks everyone.    A bit more work on the pvc stand and wood frame, and it's looking better.   Still not pretty, but it does the trick, and the next one will be better.  

Really wish we could use something different at Cherry Ridge. I hate those pos ones they have us use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is great:

https://shootingtargets7.com/store/target-stand.html?acc=c0c7c76d30bd3dcaefc96f40275bdc0a

Its portable, light weight, sets up in 3 minutes, and you can hang paper or steel from it. If you want to hang steel, I suggest the mounting kit they have. I've got about 3000 rounds fired at this. Even had someone shoot the leg by accident with a .40 cal. and it didn't go all the way through. 

During checkout, if you "like" on Facebook you get another 5% off.

I whipped this up together based on instructions on the interwebs. I wanted something portable, metal, and didn't involve any cutting etc. portable saw horse was $30 at lowes and various hardware was like $15 at HD.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Used a beer coaster for a 100 yd 4 MOA spray paint template (the Appleseed rifleman standard)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I whipped this up together based on instructions on the interwebs. I wanted something portable, metal, and didn't involve any cutting etc. portable saw horse was $30 at lowes and various hardware was like $15 at HD.

That's an awesome idea. I know if you shoot steel at range 14 they have to inspect the target, anyone know if that would fly there?

That's an awesome idea. I know if you shoot steel at range 14 they have to inspect the target, anyone know if that would fly there?

From my experiences, most likely yes.  They are mainly concerned with suitability and the ability of the target to move, i.e. swing freely when hit.

Not sure what they are looking for at Range 14, but the target does swing. Also, the steel gong angles slightly down for extra safety using the nut, bolt, washer combo to attach it. Original instructions here: http://www.backwoodsengineer.com/2014/02/build-steel-gong-target-for-rifle.html

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot setup will be acceptable at Range 14.

I been shooting there for the last few years and a basic setup like this works great. Shephered hooks at Lowes or Home Depot run you $10 - $15. They are lightweight and can take a few shots. 

Plates.jpg

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot setup will be acceptable at Range 14.

I been shooting there for the last few years and a basic setup like this works great. Shephered hooks at Lowes or Home Depot run you $10 - $15. They are lightweight and can take a few shots. 

Plates.jpg

This is what I use now, has been working fine for a few months now, no complaints!

First pic is the target stands I built after seeing them posted on this thread ~$20.00 each to build.

The second pic is just struck me when I had my phone out - I like it!

Thank you to the guy who posted the idea for the stands - worked out GREAT!

post-6977-0-47798400-1432558087_thumb.jpg

post-6977-0-02794700-1432558109_thumb.jpg

Really wish we could use something different at Cherry Ridge. I hate those pos ones they have us use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had an issue with them, I actually like them. Once you start shooting out the frame that's a different story. But i keep pre cut pieces for easy replacement, and ductape on hand. NOW, if they didnt have bases and the ground channels for them i would want something different, but nice enough they provide us a means to stand them up. YOU can always modify them for a better design. you just have to keep the dimensions and material sizes. I've thought about notching the overlaps to make it sturdier.