Potts

NJ Resident Getting a Concealed Carry Permit in PA

As i understand the current gun laws for both NJ and PA, it seems as though it is physically impossible for a NJ resident (that isn't a LEO) to get a Concealed Carry Permit in PA.  As I understand it, PA will only give out CCW's to out of state residents who have a CCW in their resident state, which as well know, is next to impossible in NJ for non-LEO/Security Guards.

Has anyone had any luck getting a CCW in PA without a NJ CCW?  I moved back to NJ from PA a few years ago and I maintain a rental property in Philly.  Beyond that, I have lots of friends there so I head over the bridge often.  While I can't concealed carry in my home state, I would like to be able to CC when I go to Philly.

Has anyone been successful in doing this?  If so, how???

I ve done a lot of reading on this and i cant find a way unless an NJ person has an NJ CCW (as we know impossibble for a commoner to get).

A New Hampshire non resident CCW is still reciprocal with PA if you happen to have one now. You can t get one now as they also require a home state CCW.

Texas non-resident permits are still accepted by the Queen of Sheba Kathleen Kane.

The kicker is that you must take both the written and range portions of the test in Texas.

Coming soon (I hope) -

a one day (or overnight) junket to the Dallas area to take the written test (that you've prepared for here) and pass the range proficiency requirement THERE.

More details as they develop.

The TX CHL class is now only 4 hours. They changed it from an 8 hour requirement a couple years ago. The going rate around Houston is $75-$100/person. If you're a member of TX Gun Forum, the Admin has a LGS and offers the class for $50, including range time.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

I figured it was worth asking...  I was hoping since I own a property there that might give me a leg to stand on.  I don't however have an ID with that address as my current address anymore.  They really ought to have some type of exception for NJ residents.  I love going to Philly, but it's not the safest city and if I had the option to be protected when there I would surely chose it.  My rental property is in a nice enough area, but it's still got it share of crime.  There were two shooting deaths within blocks of my house within the five years I lived there, and many more gun point robberies.

If anyone has been able to pull this off, legally, I would love to hear about it.  I still get mail addressed to me at that address if that matters at all as well.

There are several places in TX that do the training, qualifying, and offer fingerprinting on site.  It's certainly possible to fill out the application on line, fly down the evening of day one, take the class and fly back the next evening.

I looked into it and it could all be done for about $750 including travel, hotel, permit fees, and class fees.  Could completed over a weekend.

There are several places in TX that do the training, qualifying, and offer fingerprinting on site.  It's certainly possible to fill out the application on line, fly down the evening of day one, take the class and fly back the next evening.

I looked into it and it could all be done for about $750 including travel, hotel, permit fees, and class fees.  Could completed over a weekend.

So you do this, then can carry in PA. Maybe worth doing if you're in PA every so often. But what I don't see as easy is driving there with the gun. It would need to be stored per NJ transport and your "reason" would have to be going to (and from) a range in PA should you find yourself in a situation requiring an explanation. Best join a club in PA with 24 hr access maybe.

Starting to sound a little complicated to use it to carry in PA.

So you do this, then can carry in PA. Maybe worth doing if you're in PA every so often. But what I don't see as easy is driving there with the gun. It would need to be stored per NJ transport and your "reason" would have to be going to (and from) a range in PA should you find yourself in a situation requiring an explanation. Best join a club in PA with 24 hr access maybe.

Starting to sound a little complicated to use it to carry in PA.

Not true. You are covered under the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986 granting safe passage from a communist state such as NJ to America as long as the firearm is in a locked case and separate from the ammo.

Not true. You are covered under the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986 granting safe passage from a communist state such as NJ to America as long as the firearm is in a locked case and separate from the ammo.

Maybe.  I've always thought so too but apparently the travel "to" and travel "through" thing is a little grey.  And all you need is a cop, prosecutor, judge, and jury to interpret it differently than you do - pretty easy things to find in NJ.

Too bad it's Philthy that you're going to. Open carry is legal in PA everywhere except with the city limits of Philthy. Or schools/government buildings. Best bet is to take a weekend trip to Texas. That's the last option for a non resident concealed cary permit still honored in PA.

I heard that Katherine Kane was indicted recently, and the grand jury recommend she should face criminal charges, for leaking political information to the press about her political enemies. Not sure how that will play out, if she winds up loosing her job. She won't loose her job until she's convicted and sentenced. Unless she resigns instead, but that's not likely to happen. Possibly the Utah, Florida, AZ, and Virginia non resident ccw permits will be honored again with a new AG. But maybe not. Who knows who will take over, hopefully someone more 2A friendly.

Too bad it's Philthy that you're going to. Open carry is legal in PA everywhere except with the city limits of Philthy. Or schools/government buildings. Best bet is to take a weekend trip to Texas. That's the last option for a non resident concealed cary permit still honored in PA. I heard that Katherine Kane was indicted recently, and the grand jury recommend she should face criminal charges, for leaking political information to the press about her political enemies. Not sure how that will play out, if she winds up loosing her job. She won't loose her job until she's convicted and sentenced. Unless she resigns instead, but that's not likely to happen. Possibly the Utah, Florida, AZ, and Virginia non resident ccw permits will be honored again with a new AG. But maybe not. Who knows who will take over, hopefully someone more 2A friendly.

i have to wonder how concerned pa residents or more importantly politicians/ag are (not unlike nj fudds) about issues that don't directly affect them (yet)..id think for a politician it would be a win/win by cutting off nr permits....doesnt effect the voting base...and plays to the small percent of momsndemandattention.puke that may be pandering around.... .how concerned do you believe a ltcf holder is that a nj resident can't carry in their state? id say not very.....but we nj gun owners are well aware of incremental legislation 

They should care. Cutting off some non resident permits also cuts off some tourism dollars. I myself haven't stepped foot in PA since I got my non resident it Utah permit. I been taking my money, friends and families money to Delaware. While the thousands we probably spent might not seem a lot but I'm sure I'm not the only one who might plan a vacation based off where they can carry. Going to Delaware for the second time in 2015 next week. Then next month doing a week long trip and spending time in Virginia and north Carolina. I could be giving my money to PA but I'll take my business elsewhere.

I totally agree with both of you.....and I would think perhaps it might actually be a good project..maybe even a successful one for the nj gun rights groups that are throwing money into poorly planned/executed black hole projects in nj to try and organize some type of rally of pa gun owners to get it changed ..if they could be educated on where it's headed unlike the head in the sand nj fudds by living examples of what's to come if they don't stop the snowball while its still baseball size lol

Too bad it's Philthy that you're going to. Open carry is legal in PA everywhere except with the city limits of Philthy. Or schools/government buildings. Best bet is to take a weekend trip to Texas. That's the last option for a non resident concealed cary permit still honored in PA..

How ironic. The place where you'd need it most has restrictions. Nice that they give the advantage to the thugs.

But concealed carry would still be allowed in Philly?

How ironic. The place where you'd need it most has restrictions. Nice that they give the advantage to the thugs.

But concealed carry would still be allowed in Philly?

Yes, with a ccw permit that PA honored.

I make it simple, I stay out of Philthy. Other than cheese steaks from Pats or Gino's, a pouring of Pliny the Elder from Monk's tavern what else is actually in that city worth going there for? I'm alergic to Eagles and flyers fans in groups of more than 2 anyway lol...

I totally agree with both of you.....and I would think perhaps it might actually be a good project..maybe even a successful one for the nj gun rights groups that are throwing money into poorly planned/executed black hole projects in nj to try and organize some type of rally of pa gun owners to get it changed ..if they could be educated on where it's headed unlike the head in the sand nj fudds by living examples of what's to come if they don't stop the snowball while its still baseball size lol

We don't need your education, you need ours. And nobody, I say nobody, is ever interested when it comes up.

Talk about heads in the sand. Keep on talking. I'll be working on gun rights, including in our Capitol building tomorrow. The incremental creep in gun laws and policies in PA is that they just get better and better. So, yeah, I guess you could teach us how to lose.

We don't need your education, you need ours. And nobody, I say nobody, is ever interested when it comes up.

Talk about heads in the sand. Keep on talking. I'll be working on gun rights, including in our Capitol building tomorrow. The incremental creep in gun laws and policies in PA is that they just get better and better. So, yeah, I guess you could teach us how to lose.

Haha wow ok ... Your one Internet forum ...2a superhero... But step outside your ego for a second....and realize it's a big state and aside from the ar in Starbucks open carry goons that live for the rallies the majority of pa gun owners aren't as aware .... And I'll disagree with you on "only getting better in PA".....as for incremental negative changes pa... If you can't see nr permit reciprocity dropping as a negative ...and a possible beginning of incremental negative changes You're proving my point "it doesn't affect me so I don't care" .... Same as nj fudds who don't care about gun bans and mag restrictions since it doesn't affect their db shotgun... But it's your story tell it however you want it.....

FYI - I got my Texas CCW on the way home from a trip to Las Vegas. I arraigned to have a connecting flight thru Houston, TX with a 12 hour layover. I found a great instructor. He picked me up at the airport, took me to get fingerprints then we had lunch at a BBQ joint and setup shop for a few hour in the back booth to review class room material. A quick trip to the range and then he dropped me off back at the airport. If anyone is interested I can send you his info... No Hotel or car rental was needed... If you plan it right you can arrange for a stop over in Houston on your next West Coast trip. Very little extra cash... Just add 12 hours to your travel time.

I believe TX renewals can be done via mail now? Does anyone know for sure?

Haha wow ok ... Your one Internet forum ...2a superhero... But step outside your ego for a second....and realize it's a big state and aside from the ar in Starbucks open carry goons that live for the rallies the majority of pa gun owners aren't as aware .... And I'll disagree with you on "only getting better in PA".....as for incremental negative changes pa... If you can't see nr permit reciprocity dropping as a negative ...and a possible beginning of incremental negative changes You're proving my point "it doesn't affect me so I don't care" .... Same as nj fudds who don't care about gun bans and mag restrictions since it doesn't affect their db shotgun... But it's your story tell it however you want it.....

Let me explain a few things to you. First, Pennsylvania does not revolve around New Jersey. Do you know what we are working on now? No LTCF to have a gun in a car. That is more important in PA than NJ residents carrying.

You know what else? Two Tier Constitutional carry, Firearms Freedom Act, and a few other things I don't really care much about.

It takes a a year or two to get each of these laws passed and there is a maximum we can do at a time. A few years ago I wanted to push Firearms Freedom Act but the two priorities were Stand Your Ground (Passed) and Liquor Privatization (long story but affects future gun legislation) which didn't make it through before Wolf (union), and was told by my peers and our legislators that Firearms Freedom would have to wait a couple years.

Since Stand Your Ground we had other positive firearm laws passed, including last year the ability for people and organizations (such as the NRA) WITHOUT LEGAL STANDING to sue municipalities that pass illegal gun laws. Dozens have folded instead of going to court and losing money. Philly and Harrisburg are fighting for political reasons and will shortly have their assess handed to them and end up donating a lot of money to the NRA and other pro-2A organizations :)

Yes, PA laws improve every year.

Now, WTF are you working on? Answer: Nothing.

What new pro firearms laws has NJ passed the last several years? Answer: None.

If you really cared, you'd be in Harrisburg tomorrow to go around with experts and have us help you talk to our legislators, convince them your issue is our priority as constituents as well, and try to get it bumped up the schedule of attack a few places. I brought this up last year. I brought this up several months ago and everybody thought it was a great idea.

What are you going to do?

Nothing. You are going to do nothing about your own issue even when you were invited to.

Yes, PA DOES continue to improve every year, and if anybody has their head in the sand it is you. You don't know PA or NJ.

One more thing - Kane. We were working on yanking her, which I'm sure would have pleased you. Not that you helped in the effort or anything, but that's just you. A couple things happened. She is hobbled right now. And, if she leaves office before the next election, Wolf replaces her. We actually want Kane to stay. We want her road to jail to be a long and slow one.

Let me explain a few things to you. First, Pennsylvania does not revolve around New Jersey. Do you know what we are working on now? No LTCF to have a gun in a car. That is more important in PA than NJ residents carrying.

You know what else? Two Tier Constitutional carry, Firearms Freedom Act, and a few other things I don't really care much about.

It takes a a year or two to get each of these laws passed and there is a maximum we can do at a time. A few years ago I wanted to push Firearms Freedom Act but the two priorities were Stand Your Ground (Passed) and Liquor Privatization (long story but affects future gun legislation) which didn't make it through before Wolf (union), and was told by my peers and our legislators that Firearms Freedom would have to wait a couple years.

Since Stand Your Ground we had other positive firearm laws passed, including last year the ability for people and organizations (such as the NRA) WITHOUT LEGAL STANDING to sue municipalities that pass illegal gun laws. Dozens have folded instead of going to court and losing money. Philly and Harrisburg are fighting for political reasons and will shortly have their assess handed to them and end up donating a lot of money to the NRA and other pro-2A organizations :)

Yes, PA laws improve every year.

Now, WTF are you working on? Answer: Nothing.

What new pro firearms laws has NJ passed the last several years? Answer: None.

If you really cared, you'd be in Harrisburg tomorrow to go around with experts and have us help you talk to our legislators, convince them your issue is our priority as constituents as well, and try to get it bumped up the schedule of attack a few places. I brought this up last year. I brought this up several months ago and everybody thought it was a great idea.

What are you going to do?

Nothing. You are going to do nothing about your own issue even when you were invited to.

Yes, PA DOES continue to improve every year, and if anybody has their head in the sand it is you. You don't know PA or NJ.

One more thing - Kane. We were working on yanking her, which I'm sure would have pleased you. Not that you helped in the effort or anything, but that's just you. A couple things happened. She is hobbled right now. And, if she leaves office before the next election, Wolf replaces her. We actually want Kane to stay. We want her road to jail to be a long and slow one.

Hats off to YOU for getting all that done.....now just imagine how much MORE YOU could get passed if you weren't on a nj forum chest pounding ?...... As for what I am "going to do" you are correct in that I won't be attending the ar marches I have a very time and mentally taxing job between travel and long hours when local .... As for the permit reciprocity it doesn't affect me either way so keep up the good fight....and have a great day

I agree that gun rights are ALWAYS under attack and we ALL need to fight them as we ALL have a stake in the game. However, PA has (almost) 50% gun ownership and the most conceal carry permits issued in the USA aside from Florida---yes, even more than Texas. We have not lost any reciprocity states and actually gained a few more due to resident permits being honored. Women are applying for LTCF in record numbers and there are pro gun bill after Bill being presented---even though Wolf is anti gun at least the pressure is on!

More and more of the FUDDS are changing their LTCF from "hunting" to "self defense" and pistol sales are rising along with the Licenses. 

But I agree, we all need to fight this together because if one state falls they all fall. Also, I'm from NJ and hope to NEVER end up like that state again but I fear and have concern on my many friends that live there. They are pro gun and can't carry in PA so I have a "game" in the fight.

BTW, I think Kane will be tied up with TOO much legal crap to mess with reciprocity and hopefully come Nov 2016 she'll be voted out---with 26% approval it looks like she will be replaced with a conservative that SHOULD undo her damage.

In the meantime, is your safety worth the $300 to travel to Texas? I flew Spirit for $100, stayed at a nice hotel for $100 a night....make it into a vacation, get your carry and bring your firearm. To me it would be well worth it!