Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

RCBS Powder measure

I set up the powder measure from my Rock Chucker Supreme kit.

Trying to use IMR 4198 stick powder. 19 grains for .223 load.

The RCBS powder measure varies from 18.8 - 19.2

Is this the best it will do?

I notice the handle gets stuck on the stick powder and I have to force the handle and sheer the powder.

Will it be more consistent with ball powder? What do you recommend for ..223 loads.

I had the same problem as you, loading my match rounds with Varget.

The RCBS powder measure is great for flake and ball powder, not very good with stick.

Using the RCBS, best thing I did was set it to dump light, then trickle each load up.

Then I discovered the very inexpensive Lee Perfect Powder measure. It has a rubber sweep and is much gentler on the extruded stick powder, though still less than perfect.

Still need to dump light and trickle up.

Finally bought a second hand RCBS Lyman 1200 DPS II.  It's an automated powder measure and electronic scale.

For single stage loading, it's as fast as I am and accurate to 0.1grain 98 times out of 100

Edited to correct my error in posting the brand name last night when I wrote the reply

I am using the RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure.

Can anyone recommend a good ball powder (or flake) for .223 loads.? I need something that shoots well in mixed .223/5.56 military brass for general plinking.

It needs to be reliable and accurate in this RCBS Feeder below..

post-5151-143135414395_thumb.jpg

I am using the RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure.

Can anyone recommend a good ball powder (or flake) for .223 loads.? I need something that shoots well in mixed .223/5.56 military brass for general plinking.

It needs to be reliable and accurate in this RCBS Feeder below..

post-5151-143135414395_thumb.jpg

My 62 grain zombie rounds are loaded with the RCBS Uniflow powder measure with the small drum installed:

62 gr SS109 projectile (5K pack available again from Wideners)

Small rifle magnum primer (CCI or Wolf)

24.5 gr Hodgdon H335 flake powder

Lee Factory Crimp on the cannelure

I have loaded in excess of 10K of this round on my RockChucker

(It was the reason I bought my Giraud trimmer)

Winchester 748 or Accurate 2230.  I have yet to try Hodgdon H335 and CFE223.  All good choices. Add Ramshot TAC to the list.

YMMV informational only, W748 25.0 55FMJ W/C Win Primer very mild and accurate 100 yard target load.  AA2230 24.7 55FMJ Win Primer M109 equivalent.

Using a powder baffle in the hopper?

Winchester 748 or Accurate 2230.  I have yet to try Hodgdon H335 and CFE223.  All good choices. Add Ramshot TAC to the list.

YMMV informational only, W748 25.0 55FMJ W/C Win Primer very mild and accurate 100 yard target load.  AA2230 24.7 55FMJ Win Primer M109 equivalent.

I would have to look it up but IIRC this load is making 28-2900fps and as Bill said is accurate.  I'd like to add it cycles perfectly.

Do you notice that the powder has static tendencies like sticking to everything?  Then you need to wipe down the powder measure with fine graphite or a dryer anti static sheet.  Hopper baffle will take a lot of the hopper powder pressure clumping out.  More even flow into the measure.  You should be able to get +/- .1 grain on measuring or less with extruded powder.  In the old days we would load the hopper really full and tap on it for a while to get the powder to settle some.  Made for more even measures, then during loading not letting the hopper get more than half empty. 

OP: That's good enough for almost any thing you will want to do. Benchers shooters shoot with that level of powder charge variation and do quite well. Factory ammo is loaded to even looser standards.

Re: CM video--At the very least: (1) CLOSE the breeze shield on the CM and then wait for CM for come back from charge count and settle and (2) CLOSE the door on the scale and wait for a steady charge reading.

Maybe, and I do mean MAYBE, if you are shooting really LONG RANGE this might be of some use, but not for 99.99% of us will our group size be any different with that level of over-concern. It's is fun to play, but serves no real purpose.

The CM has its own trickle feature--at least as good as that trickler.

The CM will occasionally over-shot by 0.1 gn. If that is a concern, please don't EVER use a powder measure.

Finally, a slightly wet finger can easily remove a couple of kernels of powder and return you the weight you want.

If this is a concern, be sure you have at least a scale that is guaranteed accurate and repeatable to 0.01gn.

Finally, where do you stop in your urge to get all the same weights?

Update: I switched powder to BLC-2 and the powder measure is working perfect. I picked up 4lb. This is a spherical powder not extruded. The activator handle moves like butter it is so smooth.. What a difference. This load calls for 27.5g not 19 which kind of blows. @19g 1lb = 368 rounds, @27.5 1lb = 255 rounds.. At least the accuracy between load is at +/- .1g so I am happy with that.

My 62 grain zombie rounds are loaded with the RCBS Uniflow powder measure with the small drum installed:

62 gr SS109 projectile (5K pack available again from Wideners)

Small rifle magnum primer (CCI or Wolf)

24.5 gr Hodgdon H335 flake powder

Lee Factory Crimp on the cannelure

I have loaded in excess of 10K of this round on my RockChucker

(It was the reason I bought my Giraud trimmer)

I make the same recipe wiht the CCI41 or Wollfs but have been loading it with 25 grains H335.  Great basic load for 5.56.