Sign in to follow this  
Princetonian58

Beretta 92FS

I have a quesiton on the operation of the Beretta 92FS hopefully someone can answer.

As I understand its operation, if the safety is engaged, once a magazine is inserted and the slide is racked, the hammer will be down and the firearm in double action mode for the first shot; single action with hammer cocked on remaining shots.

If the magazine is first inserted with the safety not engaged, however, the hammer will be cocked and the gun in single action operation from the start.  It is my understanding that the activation of the safety will lower the hammer and allow the user to return the firearm to double action.  Tried this on dry fire and the activation of the safety led to the hammer lowering quickly (unlike my Sig P229), so quickly that it made me wonder if the gun would have fired had a round been chambered.  Question: do you need to carefully control the descent of the hammer with your thumb to avoid the possibility of an accidental discharge like you would with a DA revolver?

I understand the safe and correct procedure is to insert the magazine with the safety engaged and ensure the hammer is down and that's what I intend to do.  I just want to know all aspects of the gun's operation and thus be able to warn or caution anyone else who may demo the firearm at the range, etc.  Thanks.

If the slide is racked, regardless if the magazine is inserted or not, and the safety is off, the hammer will be cocked back.  It's got a Safety/Decocker.  If the safety is on when racked, the hammer will be down as it will self-decock.

If you rack the slide with the safety off, then hit the safety/decocker into safe mode, it will decock the gun (safely).

I have a quesiton on the operation of the Beretta 92FS hopefully someone can answer.

As I understand its operation, if the safety is engaged, once a magazine is inserted and the slide is racked, the hammer will be down and the firearm in double action mode for the first shot; single action with hammer cocked on remaining shots.

If the magazine is first inserted with the safety not engaged, however, the hammer will be cocked and the gun in single action operation from the start.  It is my understanding that the activation of the safety will lower the hammer and allow the user to return the firearm to double action.  Tried this on dry fire and the activation of the safety led to the hammer lowering quickly (unlike my Sig P229), so quickly that it made me wonder if the gun would have fired had a round been chambered.  Question: do you need to carefully control the descent of the hammer with your thumb to avoid the possibility of an accidental discharge like you would with a DA revolver?

I understand the safe and correct procedure is to insert the magazine with the safety engaged and ensure the hammer is down and that's what I intend to do.  I just want to know all aspects of the gun's operation and thus be able to warn or caution anyone else who may demo the firearm at the range, etc.  Thanks.

it won't go off if you simply engage the safety. it drops the hammer, but if you notice, not quite all the way.

it won't go off if you simply engage the safety. it drops the hammer, but if you notice, not quite all the way.

It absolutely drops the hammer all the way. It turns the firing pin down and away as the hammer drops so the firing pin never gets touched. What your talking about is the hammer drop safety or 1/4 cock as some call it. If the hammer somehow falls while fully cocked, the drop safety or 1/4 cock will catch/stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin. Even if the drop safety somehow failed there is still the internal firing pin block that will prevent a discharge.

Sounds like my next range trip with my newly aquired M9 should be interesting lol.

I already shot 2 magazine's through it but I didn't mess with decocking it. My favorite way to empty a chamber is by pulling the trigger until it stops going "bang" and the slide locks open:lol:

Sounds like my next range trip with my newly aquired M9 should be interesting lol. I already shot 2 magazine's through it but I didn't mess with decocking it. My favorite way to empty a chamber is by pulling the trigger until it stops going "bang" and the slide locks open:lol:

Not the best way to clear the weapon in your house.

I fully agree with that statement. I have no plans to ever load it at home either. That's what Glocks are for :lol:

you're gonna shoot your dick off with that glock, you know. :lol:

also I prefer the 92G. no safety, decock only.

you're gonna shoot your dick off with that glock, you know. :lol:

also I prefer the 92G. no safety, decock only.

Lol, I don't carry around the house Plaxico Burress style :D but the way I figure it, should I ever actually have to use any of my handguns for home defense. Afterwards it's going into an evidence locker for probably quite a while. Of all the guns I own my HD Glock 17 would be the one I miss the least. I would hate to loose my VP9, any of my 1911's, the Berettas, or any of my revolvers. I can go get another Glock tomorrow if I wanted one.

This Army training video on YourTube explains the details of the mechanical operations of the pistol.  It includes some cut-away views that are kind of neat.  Classic military training video.... had to laugh at the soundtrack.

It covers some of what the OP is talking about.  But skips over a few things.  Kind of interesting regardless.