Sign in to follow this  
Shawnmoore81

Colt (dealers)

Colt is contacting dealers. Starting next month only stocking dealers will be able to sell them. You must have minimum 10. If you sell 2 you have to order 2.

To me this is a bad idea. A company that is sinking should want to sell every gun they can.

They're specifying that you have to have one of each of five models as display guns and one of each in inventory.  If you sell the one in inventory, you're expected/required to replace it.  They're focusing mostly on handguns but I believe they're requiring that stocking dealers also carry one or two models of rifles too without exception.  IMO, this is dumb on multiple levels but what may hurt them most is if they really mean no exceptions, they're going to lose Walmart as a customer as they only stock long guns and not hand guns.  For a company that is on the brink of financial collapse, this is quite possibly the worst move they could have made.  They're trying to add an element of exclusivity to their product when their manufacturing capacity far exceeds demand.  If I were the one running the show, I'd be trying to push every quality gun out the door as fast as possible just to keep cash flowing and focus those auditing efforts on quality control.  Colt needs to become relevant again as they've been run out of every sector they dominated 30-40 years ago due to their myopic focus on military contracts and ignoring the commercial market.

The pistols they currently sell new

Government

Commander

mustang

Defender

New agent

Now people do buy colts but they aren't the biggest sellers at all.

Glock, sig and m&p are leading them if you ask me

I like Colt.

That being said, innovate or die. They have the manufacturing capacity to supply the Military, but the client base of Wilson Combat. You can make money by manufacturing quality AR15s and 1911s, but not with the overhead that Colt has.

I think the last three "innovations" that Colt had were:

2012? Mustang XSP. Polymer frame of a gun that has been manufactured for awhile now. Sig copied the original and outsells Colt.

1992? All American 2000. Utter failure.

1965? Colt buys the manufacturing rights to the AR15 from Armalite.

Colt should have had a backup plan in the event they lose a contract. The only way they could possibly survive now is if fate hands them a design that will outperform Glock/M&P/XD. Which is unlikely.

Who will buy them? Freedom group?

You would think maybe they would bring back the Python, and possibly revitalize the company. I love my Government model 1911, but there's plenty of other manufacturers that build a better 1911... it's not a hard choice to buy a different brand if it comes to that.

I thought these only came in quantities of 6 ??? 10 doesn't make any sense. Wait..... They make guns too?

a0f1101be8d44422b832403d5eb8d994.jpg

Colt 45s only hold six rounds. :)

Five if you keep one cylinder empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk