DV8EDD

Where can I look at Over/Unders?

Hi all.  Wondering if anybody knows a good place, other than driving out to Cabelas, to look at and handle several decent over/unders.

I'm in the market for one somewhere in the price range from the Silver Pigeon I to the Browning 725 but really want to handle a few.  I've been able to handle a couple at Thunder Mountain but they don't sell too much.

I am in Bayonne.  Thanks!

Hi all. Wondering if anybody knows a good place, other than driving out to Cabelas, to look at and handle several decent over/unders.

I'm in the market for one somewhere in the price range from the Silver Pigeon I to the Browning 725 but really want to handle a few. I've been able to handle a couple at Thunder Mountain but they don't sell too much.

I am in Bayonne. Thanks!

Come to the next shotgun shootout, I'll bring a Silver Pigeon 686S. You can shoot it if you want.

If you want to handle a multitude of over unders check out Griffin & Howe.

Thanks for the quick responses gents.  Griffin and Howe is pretty close to me so I think I'll try to check them out.  That MM place looks pretty nice - maybe worth a mini road trip one of these days.

i'll keep an eye out for the shotgun shoot (think I saw a forum for that).  My shooting is really trending towards shotgun these days - having a lot of fun with it when I can find the time.

Classifieds on Shotgunworld.com is all you need to know about buying your first OU. Just be patient...SPs are listed all the time. No junk on that site, these guys are fanatical about keeping the OUs mint. I have bought two off that site.

Also...Joel Etchen has new and preowned....they are like what Shelby is to the mustang.

Griffin and Howe has more selection than just about anybody.

Remember than looks only count for so much...."shotgun fit" counts so much more!  A POS gun that FITS you will break more birds than a $30K museum piece that doesn't.......

If you're ever in NYC, check out the Beretta Gallery on Madison Ave between 63rd & 64th st.  Yeah it's a snooty part of town but if you go upstairs, there's more shotguns on the racks than anywhere I've seen (though I haven't been to Griffin & Howe).  They're almost all Berettas.... but they can get crazy insane on the prices...

The G&H name carries a certain cachet, so expect to pay a princely sum for some very common common guns there. 

I noticed this abomination on their site today. Someone was responsible for a horrible thing done wrong to a delightful upland gun and they add insult to injury with a price tag of $1,400!

BRO30547NXA33_edited-1.jpg

For crazy insane prices see Griffin and Howe. Some very fine firearms there. I find it funny every once and a while they have a "Average Joe" on the shelf. Who would have known.

Great place to hold and feel everything, but I also recommend shopping around before you buy.

I'm gonna get that beretta a400 with the blue receiver. Right now I use my a400 xtreme

HD

Sean, I got the A400 Sporting in 20 gauge. It is a sweet shooter for sure. Be sure to follow break-in procedures though. I had second shot problems all day long on the sporting clays course last Saturday. I detail stripped the gun, cleaned off packing oil, put on light gun oil, and ran some heavy loads through it. Shoots like a champ now.

Also, Lou's in Raritan almost always has a lot of nice shotguns in the store. Sometimes there are a few hidden gems on the used rack too. I got a great condition Browning BSS for $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn, there are Sporting versions and Parallel Target versions.  In the PT version there is shortened and standard, that refers to the LOP, either 13.75 or 14.75.  Kick-off models cannot have their stock length adjusted.  Gun Pod does not come with Kick Off.  Some question if Kick Off is worth it when only shooting trap or SC loads.  Gun Pod is seen as a overkill.

Shawn, there are Sporting versions and Parallel Target versions. In the PT version there is shortened and standard, that refers to the LOP, either 13.75 or 14.75. Kick-off models cannot have their stock length adjusted. Gun Pod does not come with Kick Off. Some question if Kick Off is worth it when only shooting trap or SC loads. Gun Pod is seen as a overkill.

GunPod is a gimmick, IMO. A Google search brings up a number of stories of them dying on people after a few months. Kick off is interesting, but not needed for clay sports. It does shine though for the heavy stuff. It doesn't come on the subgauge guns, so it wasn't an option for me, but I would've skipped it anyway. The off cast on the shims isn't enough for my fat face, so I will need a little more bend put in the stock. You can't do that on stock with kick-off.

Kicks Beretta's butt. There are six USED F.lli Bertuzzi's on the G&H site right now from $240,000 to $295,000 apiece.

Six months ago the top end was a $299,000 Perazzii set with barrels in 4 gauges.

What impressed me most was that guns up to $99,000 were out in racks on the showroom floor for anyone to pick up and handle. only what they considered the 'expensive' guns were in cabinets; you had to ask to see those.

No one asked to see an FID, either!

Thse Berettas are LIGHT. My 20 gauge kicks as much as the 12 guage. Except for the length (30"), I could walk around all day ith this thing. It is like a feather.

So much so that I am thinking about putting some weight in the stock channel and on the forend. You can buy heavier end cap weights from Briley. 

Some great advice here, thanks. I did notice GH prices were spendy but would be nice to handle a bunch. Also noticed Etchen's site. The wood patterns look very nice and the prices aren't THAT much higher.

Do they do other stuff to the be to gun or is it solely woodwork?

Some great advice here, thanks. I did notice GH prices were spendy but would be nice to handle a bunch. Also noticed Etchen's site. The wood patterns look very nice and the prices aren't THAT much higher.

Do they do other stuff to the be to gun or is it solely woodwork?

Etchen is possibly the top Beretta dealer in the mid-Atlantic region, and maybe more. He gets the good stuff. That is the standard wood. It's just that some is nicer than others. I am sure he gets pick of the litter.

I have bought two Berettas from Etchen guns. Great service, fast shipping, and prices usually within $50-100 of the big sellers. You talk to a live person and can be sure you are getting exactly the gun you want.

Etchen is possibly the top Beretta dealer in the mid-Atlantic region, and maybe more. He gets the good stuff. That is the standard wood. It's just that some is nicer than others. I am sure he gets pick of the litter.

I have bought two Berettas from Etchen guns. Great service, fast shipping, and prices usually within $50-100 of the big sellers. You talk to a live person and can be sure you are getting exactly the gun you want.

Roger that, thanks for the info. He clearly has nicer wood on his than most of the others I see around online wi h actual photos.

Watchout. It can be addictive.

My normal shooting week is.

Monday Handgun, Tuesday night Trap, Wed Sporting Clays, Fri Trap and 5 Stand, Sunday Sporting Clays,

In between I get some reloading in.

I wish I had that sort of time.  I'm not married and don't have kids but live so close to the city, even just getting to a place in time would be tough.  I really want to try sporting clays - sounds like a blast.