Sign in to follow this  
Stonecoldchavez

Some handgun suggestions

Hello all-

Now that my permits are in and I used the first one on the SW 686+, some of you here have gotten my on the 1911 kick too. :) I am looking at a few mid-entry models (no Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Nighthawk, etc. models). I am a newbie to 1911's and only know from what I have read here from all of you. I am looking at a few for my 2nd permit purchase. Looking between $700-1000 realistically. If the 1911 has better features out of the box, than I would be willing to spend in the higher range. For my 3rd permit choice I may consider and I am looking at another revolver.

I will list my choices below and would like some suggestions, both pro's and con's about each, full size vs. commander size, etc. Thank you.

1911's

Ruger SR 1911
Springfield Range Officer (looked at this already. Slide was not very smooth; seemed rough)
Para Ordnance Expert or Elite
Remington 1911 R1
Sig Sauer Nightmare
Sig Sauer Tacops (looked at this one and the slide was smooth as butter)

Revolvers     Preferably .357

SW Bodyguard 38
SW J-frame snubby
Ruger LCR or LCRx
Ruger Vaquero
Umberti 1873 Cattleman

Thank you,
S.

I have 4 1911's (5 if you count the GSG .22lr), 2 that are are your list - Para Expert in Stainless and Sig TacOps.  The Para is a nice shooter for the price.  The trigger was great right out of the box - crisp break, seems a bit lighter than the others.  The mags that come with it are low quality though.  The TacOps, well lets just say Sig got it right.  As you said, the slide is like butter.  It's my favorite full-size.  It has the external extractor, which I'm not a fan of, but everything is black so it doesn't stand out.   I also have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry (Commandfer sized) that for some reason is my favorite.  I shoot it better than any of the others, even with the shorter barrel.  I'm guessing it's got to do with the bull barrel / no barrel bushing design.  I know there is some hate for Kimbers but I'm a fan.  My 4th is a Rock Island Tactical in 9mm.  Nice shooter but not at the same level as the Sig or Kimber, about on par with the Para.  

Based on your cut list in your post it looks like the caliber of choice is 45ACP.  Research internal vs external extractors.  I'll help you here, get an internal one.  US made from a company with a good 1911 track record and good customer service.  When it was my time for my first, it was a Colt Gold Cup National Match.  Rock solid, no complaints, years of reliable service, plenty of aftermarket parts for any reason you can think of! BOCO.

Para Ordance is part of Remington and scheduled to be rebranded just like they did to Marlin. Do Not expect any great things here. Remington's track record is not good when they play musical plants with their product line. 

Ruger's product has been out for a few years.  Nice quality.  Good CS and stands behind their product.

Remington I cannot speak about, no experience here.  I personally do not like Remington. Just me.

The more you stick to a "Series 70" or "Series 80" design style in 1911 the easier it will be to get parts and do upgrades in the future to. 

I concur with what T-Bill said.

And if you want caliber choices in a low to mid range 1911, PLEASE consider the STI line, especially the Spartan and the Trojan.  9mm, .40 and .45, take yer pick!  One ragged hole accuracy at 15-20 yards.  Last time I sighted one in for a friend, I was able to put every shot inside a 1/2 dollar at 10 yards w/o trying really hard!  Guns are "imported" from Texas!

Based on your cut list in your post it looks like the caliber of choice is 45ACP.  Research internal vs external extractors.  I'll help you here, get an internal one.  US made from a company with a good 1911 track record and good customer service.  When it was my time for my first, it was a Colt Gold Cup National Match.  Rock solid, no complaints, years of reliable service, plenty of aftermarket parts for any reason you can think of! BOCO.

Para Ordance is part of Remington and scheduled to be rebranded just like they did to Marlin. Do Not expect any great things here. Remington's track record is not good when they play musical plants with their product line. 

Ruger's product has been out for a few years.  Nice quality.  Good CS and stands behind their product.

Remington I cannot speak about, no experience here.  I personally do not like Remington. Just me.

The more you stick to a "Series 70" or "Series 80" design style in 1911 the easier it will be to get parts and do upgrades in the future to. 

Thanks T-Bill. Yes, definitely .45 ACP. I do not know the difference between internal vs external extractors, even though I have seen it mentioned several times on the forum. Any reference sites for me to look at?

I have an older Springfield that I bought used.  I'm almost positive that the trigger has had some work.  Everyone that tries it out loves it.  I also have a Para Expert 14.45.  I am really enjoying it so far, though I do have a few minor upgrades in mind in the future.  

For the price, I hear nothing but good things about the Ruger.  I will have one eventually since I don't have a stainless steel commander style gun.  Also to consider are the Rock Island guns.  they are low cost but not low quality.  Also, I find the Armscor in .22 tcm intriguing, although I need another caliber like I need a hole in the head.  they do come with a 9mm barrel, though.

As far as revolvers, I have a S&W 586. the Ruger GP 100 is nice too.

My old man has a commander sized .45 SR1911 from Ruger and loves it. Good value for the price, great aesthetics, weight, stock grips, and a good shooter out of the box. I was honestly a bit disappointed at first to see that he didn't get a full size, but after handling and shooting the commander, man am I a fan.

Get a Springfield 1911 RO out of your choices. Its a great place to start with the 1911 and you can always upgrade it later with custom work if you fall in love with the platform. You got a very solid foundation to work with any Springfield 1911. All the other 1911 choices are suspect IMHO.

Try not to laugh too hard, but if you want to get a good, mid grade 1911 pistol, take a look at the Taurus series of 1911's. I have been looking at them the last few years at the NRA Conventions. They do make some really nice models, & I have been seriously considering buying one sometime. I may eventually get this one:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=834&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=19. This one has a very nice blued finish & 8 round magazine. Do give them some serious consideration. 

Surprised no one has said Springfield. I have a TA1911E Series I bought new off a forum vendor for under 1k and its been great. 20lpi checkering, top slide serrations, night sights, etc. IMO it holds its weight against more expensive 1911s.

Bottom one.

Posted Image

I think you meant S&W, not Springfield.  The S&W are a bit on the higher price end and may actually be outside of the OP's budget.

I would give the Springfield RO a second look.  The slide may not be smooth as there may be a lack of oil.  I would see if the shop can put some oil on the slide and try it again.  Springfield has been in the 1911 game pretty long and most of the others are merely jumping on the bandwagon.

As Bullzeye mentioned, Springfield is a great platform to start with future customizations.

Surprised no one has said Springfield. I have a TA1911E Series I bought new off a forum vendor for under 1k and its been great. 20lpi checkering, top slide serrations, night sights, etc. IMO it holds its weight against more expensive 1911s.

Bottom one.

cbab948ca68216fc1e6eee34285919d1.jpg

Can I see the roll marks on the other side of the bottom one?

The grip vs the slide serrations looks awesome.

Get a Springfield 1911 RO out of your choices. Its a great place to start with the 1911 and you can always upgrade it later with custom work if you fall in love with the platform. You got a very solid foundation to work with any Springfield 1911. All the other 1911 choices are suspect IMHO.

BullzeyeNJ-

I looked at the Springfield 1911 RO other day the LGS, I liked the looks and feel of it. I did not like how rough the slide was to move back and forth. Was it because it is a new gun? Perhaps. Also, the beaver tail grip was "loose" it seemed. Is that normal? I do not recall that the beaver tail grip was that loose in the Sig Tacops.

Thank you for your replies.

I reading up more about the differences between the internal vs. external extractor. Seem people are split on that too. I read that John Browning orignally designed the 1911 to have the external extractor, but the military made him change it to an internal one.

1brentenfan,

I shot my friend's Taurus 1911. It was okay.

Out of the choices that you have on your list, I would take a different path and go with a Kimber. They do make several models that fall within your price range.

Despite some of the complaints that I've seen online about them, most of which I attribute to inexperienced 1911 owners; the Kimber is at least as good, and IMHO better than any of the guns listed in your original post.

I actually like my Kimber team 2 9mm the best out of all my 1911's  The extractor did go away at 1200 -1400 rnds and would lose its tension at about 90 rnds.. replaced it with a wilson Bullet proof extractor for 9mm 80 series..

Slightly used Colt Gold Cup listed F/S over at NJ Hunter.............Asking $975.00

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/82-classifieds-free/186236-f-s-colt-gold-cup-national-match-mk-iv-80-a.html

All the bells and whistles are here, stainless, NM barrel and barrel bushing, adjustable trigger, fit and finish, lowered and flaired ejection port, polished fee ramp, etc.

No opinions on any of the revolvers I listed? thanks.

Not crazy about any of the choices. Why not kill two birds with one stone and get a S&W 625. Revolver + .45 ACP = Terrific. I'd recommend the PC version or get the JM and install a smooth-face trigger.

Not quite stock...

332baqs.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I recommend the Springfield RO.  Not sure why the one you fondled had rough slide contact, but mine was smooth as silk...  The Range officer's slide and frame are made of carbon steel, if that makes any difference to you.  It's extremely durable.  If I didn't switch everything to 9mm, I'd still be shooting it.  On the other hand, I'm pretty sure any 1911 will fit the bill but that depends on what you're looking for in terms of features (slide/frame material, beaver tail, front-strap checkering, slide serrations, sight options, etc).

If I could go back, I would've picked up the Springfield TRP.

Not crazy about any of the choices. Why not kill two birds with one stone and get a S&W 625. Revolver + .45 ACP = Terrific. I'd recommend the PC version or get the JM and install a smooth-face trigger.

Not quite stock...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Pizza Bob, but I am looking for some thing that can be CCW out of state (hence the LCR or SW snubby) or bedside drawer gun. The two SA (Ruger Vaquero and Uberti Cattleman) were just for plinking guns at the range. I really don't want to let the 3rd permit go to waste since it took me 12 weeks to get.

I recommend the Springfield RO.  Not sure why the one you fondled had rough slide contact, but mine was smooth as silk...  The Range officer's slide and frame are made of carbon steel, if that makes any difference to you.  It's extremely durable.  If I didn't switch everything to 9mm, I'd still be shooting it.  On the other hand, I'm pretty sure any 1911 will fit the bill but that depends on what you're looking for in terms of features (slide/frame material, beaver tail, front-strap checkering, slide serrations, sight options, etc).

If I could go back, I would've picked up the Springfield TRP.

I am leaning towards the RO. Or the RO Loaded. Not sure I like the adjustable rear sight on the RO. Is it cheaper to get the RO and just buy aftermarket Novak sights? Or just go with the RO Loaded to start with.

I am also considering the Ruger SR 1911. Just have to go find one to look at. I would still like to look at the Para's too. But then I read their customer service is not good.

Then I was looking at the Colt XSE......  more decisions. The more research I do, the harder it gets.

After reading about the internal vs. external extractor debate my head is spinning. :) The Sig TacOps I like has an external extractor...so that changed my thought process....a little.

The RO isn't compatible with novak sights unfortunately.  You'd have to find comparable LPA (?) style sights... if I'm remembering correctly, the options are fairly limited to Harrison sights, which are pretty expensive.  The springfield Loaded is also a great option that comes with novak cut sights (I think).

Springfield also has stellar customer service if that's a concern.  I know from experience that they take great care of their customers with a fast turn-around time.

I'd also recommend a Sig (classic P series, 1911's, etc) if you haven't already shot one before.  I've just recently gotten into them and they are exceptional guns.

Good luck!

The RO comes with Bomar sights.  

I just did a quick price check and the Loaded is only $10 more than a RO.  If you really want the Novak sights, I would get the Loaded instead of the RO.

There are not many options on replacing the adjustable Bomar with fixed ones as jty stated.  To change from Bomar to Novak, you would have to get the slide welded and then re-cut.  It's not a $10 surgery and I would just get it with the one you want.