swilliams

Hi from NYC and PA...

Soon to be Berkeley Heights, rather than NYC.  I got a couple recommendations to head over here after asking about the NJ gun laws on city-data, so here I am.  Mom to four kids, originally from UT, but have been living in the city for the last couple decades.  I bought my first gun a couple years back after we built a house in the middle of the woods of PA, and now have a few more.  :)  Have been a member of the firearms forum community in NY for the past couple years, ever since un-SAFE passed.  Now I guess I'll have to get riled up about NJ laws instead!  Look forward to chatting with you all, and for now will start browsing the laws.

Soon to be Berkeley Heights, rather than NYC. I got a couple recommendations to head over here after asking about the NJ gun laws on city-data, so here I am. Mom to four kids, originally from UT, but have been living in the city for the last couple decades. I bought my first gun a couple years back after we built a house in the middle of the woods of PA, and now have a few more. :) Have been a member of the firearms forum community in NY for the past couple years, ever since un-SAFE passed. Now I guess I'll have to get riled up about NJ laws instead! Look forward to chatting with you all, and for now will start browsing the laws.

Welcome to the forum, and to a state with slightly better gun laws than NYC. But not for long. As soon as the next Democrat takes the office of governor when Christy leaves, it will probably be worse. My suggestion is Join the NJ2AS if you're looking to become involved and attempt to make a difference with us.

Welcome to purgatory. I say that with a bit of jest but if you went from Pa to NYC and now here. IMHO you went from heaven to hell and you are moving backup. Also look into SAW Second Amendment Women's Group they have a link in community groups here.

Welcome to the forums!

Note there's some misinformation in your city-data thread. For example, you don't need a firearms ID or any sort of permit to transport your gun back and forth between your home and "exempt" locations such as shooting ranges, although you'll want to get one anyways since 1) it relaxes restrictions on transporting long guns and 2) you can't buy hand gun ammo in stores without one.

Thanks, everyone!  We still have the place in PA, and it looks like a 1911 may be migrating to NJ in a bit, or maybe the SP101.  I usually order ammo online and have it shipped to PA, but sounds like the ID card still might be a good idea.  Long guns will probably stay in PA, but if anyone knows of an indoor pistol range near Berkeley Height, that would be nice.

See my post above.

There is also a private club in Old Bridge that has outdoor ranges and a very simple indoor range (Old Bridge Pistol and Rifle I think). Indoor range has 24 hour access with keyfob.

There is also Heritage Guild in Easton for indoor range.

If you like beer check out Trap Rock Restaurant & Brewery in your new home town.

Again, welcome!