Sign in to follow this  
MartyZ

Bought magnum primers buy accident - can I still use them?

This past weekend at Oaks I bought what I thought were 2 boxes of CCI small pistol primers, when I got home I noticed in big red letters "MAGNUM" on the boxes and #550, I didn't notice that when I was buying them.  Can I use these for .40 and 9mm with titegroup?

Wait till the debate starts. I wouldn't personally.

Tight group is spherical I believe so it's possible because it doesn't ignite as easily as flake. However, I'm odd and wouldn't unless I lived in an extreme cold area.

Someone will completely disagree with what I've said in a few minutes. I always think this way, how much do my body parts cost?

My last trip to the show I picked up 2 boxes of CCI of small rifle primers. The sign said CCI#400 box  for $25 each, the guy gave me 2 boxes of BR#4.  BR are bench rest primers, I feel bad using them for plinking now.

Ok, so there appear to be differing view on the subject, I think i'll err on safety and not use the primers on .40 and 9mm. Anyone need 2 boxes of CCI #550?

I said that would happen. :). Reloading is safety first.

I've loaded pistol loads with small pistol, small magnum, small rifle and small rifle magnum. 

You will get a slight increase in velocity depending on the powder, but nothing dramatic. If you are concerned and don't have a chrono .. well buy a chrono, but if you want knock the charge back a couple of tens and don't even worry about it. With some powders you might not even see any difference what so ever, if I remember correctly compact powders (like TG) had almost no change in velocity and flaky ones (like clays) had the most, but really it depends on the powder. 

Sounds like a hell of an excuse to buy another gun.

+1

I use middle-of-the-road pistol loads now that I have gotten over my 10mm obsession. And magnum primers work fine. I don't have a chrono, but I do not see evidence of high pressures (i.e. flattened or pierced primers) when using small magnum pistol primers in 9mm. 

I used CCI magnum spp by accident with my 9mm TiteGroup loads (pf 131). After much research decided to try them out, added ~3fps out of my g34 compared to CCI ssp (and the temp was 20 degrees warmer). I had 200 loaded up and shot them with no problems.

With that said, my situation may be unique and you should make your own decision.

Get a 38/357 lever.  Another reason to keep them primers.  Nothing like a handgun and a rifle in the same caliber, even better handgun, SA rifle, and a bolt or lever in the same caliber.  If they use the same mags, nirvana.  Best days at the range............shooting static and reactive steel with handguns and rifles without going crazy about ammo, distance, targets, etc.

Get a 38/357 lever.  Another reason to keep them primers.  Nothing like a handgun and a rifle in the same caliber, even better handgun, SA rifle, and a bolt or lever in the same caliber.  If they use the same mags, nirvana.  Best days at the range............shooting static and reactive steel with handguns and rifles without going crazy about ammo, distance, targets, etc.

I am actually seriously considering a .357 lever action.  I sold my Marlin 336 and have been regretting it ever since

What are you waiting for? 357 is a hell of a round. And everyone knows wheelguns are the coolest. :)

+ another one

Ever since the primer supply tightened-up; I've used magnum and regular primers interchangeably.  BUT - I am shooting Bullseye loads WELL under the max for .38's, so yeah, it will increase the pressure a little, but I don't care.

They work fine. I have loaded about 7-8k that way without issue. With titegroup even. The only caveat is that I would not use them on an existing recipe on the upper edge for a given cartridge/powder combo. I used them in 9 with a ~137pf load without reworking it, and for major .40  I backed off my 4.5gr load a couple of tenths and worked back up. 

This is good info. What ive readprior is not to mess with it. But thats not bad if it only increases velocity by around 50 fps. The magnum pistol primers are usually always easier to find than smalls. I think were gonna go for another ammo shortage with this upcoming election. Yep im hoarding right now. Gonna make some money off the fools to pay for some more stuff. Caveat emptor.

This is good info. What ive readprior is not to mess with it. But thats not bad if it only increases velocity by around 50 fps. The magnum pistol primers are usually always easier to find than smalls. I think were gonna go for another ammo shortage with this upcoming election. Yep im hoarding right now. Gonna make some money off the fools to pay for some more stuff. Caveat emptor.

Be sure that you are in compliance with storage laws on reloading components.

My Winchester primers say "For STANDARD and MAGNUM loads" so I sleep at night using them for standard loads.

I think a lot of the difference is in primer cup thickness. You can use spp in 223 and risk possibly hangfires and slow ignition but definitely bolt face erosion. You can also use rifle primers in handguns but you may not have enough force on the firing pin.

I also have a box of BR4 sitting around. I use cheap components and I don't think I could improve much now so I don't use it.

I am actually seriously considering a .357 lever action. I sold my Marlin 336 and have been regretting it ever since

Take a look at the Rossi and Henry rifles before you go back to Marlin. The Marlin has the stiffest action and is my least favorite of the three in handgun calibers (I do have one in 45-70 that I really like). The Henry has a glass smooth action. I got the Rossi because they had a 16" barrel large loop gun and they smooth out really well with some shooting. Steve'z Gunz makes videos and parts for Rossi's to slick them up for action shooting too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk