Jfoster99

Reloaded Ammo Storage options

So I have very quickly run out of ammo storage boxes. I had a bunch of 50 and 100 round Berry/MTM plastic .223 boxes. I made almost 500 rounds on the Rock Chucker this week and was looking into purchasing more.

It seems they run about $45 per 1000 rounds of storage. I never thought to account for this hidden cost.

I'd love to hear how other store there bulk ammo. Eventually I'd love to have 10k of .223 and 10k 9mm on hand.

SG Ammo usually has some deals on ammo cans.  They have (in stock as of this writing) 12 packs of new 50 cal M2A1 cans,  that works out to $16.25 per can. A standard 50 cal can will hold 1200 rounds.  They also have larger crates from time to time.

In a pinch, I think 5 gallon buckets from HD would work well.  Especially for the quantities you are storing.

Anyway you want that keeps them cool and dry.  Mostly in 5-6 different styles of surplus ammo cans for me.  The metal cans last forever.  I even store nails and screws I buy in bulk in them.  Keeps everything nice and rust free.The cardboard case gets torn open and discarded ASAP. Packs are put in cans with desiccant, GTG.  

If you're doing large batches like that, I say put 'em in ammo cans.

This is what I do with loose ammo including re-loads, but get some large desiccant packs and throw one or two in each can and check them every 4-6 months and replace as necessary.

Ammo cans are usually sealed. Why would you worry about moisture packs? I've had rounds stowed that I forgot I had for decades that looked and functioned like brand new. If you are that concerned, spray some G96 in there, toss like a salad and seal them tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't throw them out just "cook" them in the oven at 250F.  I use multiple small 2-3 oz packs so they "recharge" faster, like 2-3 hours in the dehydrator.

I use them to keep the moisture content as low as possible.  Especially if I just transfer the retail cardboard box into the can.  Sometimes i will vacuum seal loose ammo into bags with ziplock seal and toss in the ammo can for real long storage,

Don't throw them out just "cook" them in the oven at 250F.  I use multiple small 2-3 oz packs so they "recharge" faster, like 2-3 hours in the dehydrator.

I use them to keep the moisture content as low as possible.  Especially if I just transfer the retail cardboard box into the can.  Sometimes i will vacuum seal loose ammo into bags with ziplock seal and toss in the ammo can for real long storage,

I forgot you could do this!!! I need to try it next week. Thanks T Bill for the tip :)

Ammo cans are usually sealed. Why would you worry about moisture packs? I've had rounds stowed that I forgot I had for decades that looked and functioned like brand new. If you are that concerned, spray some G96 in there, toss like a salad and seal them tight.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think spraying ammo with any kind of lubricant, more so a penetration lubricant like G96 is a good idea. It can seep past the primers and result in duds or hangfires. It also can result in the brass not being able to expand and seal the chamber properly causing at least high pressure blow by.

I don't like loose ammo in cans. Nothing wrong with it if you only store that way and you can fit more than if you put it in boxes in cans. Midway sells cardboard boxes with foam inserts in a variety of sizes if you don't have enough factory boxes to recycle. If you don't want to spring for ammo cans putting the boxes in zip lock bags will give you the moisture protection.

I don't spray anything in mine. I by ammo bulk, so boxes are a little crazy. I do have plastic MTM ammo boxes that I load a few hundred rounds or so at a time into when I go to the range.

G96 I never found to be that agressive. I've literally used mostly nothing else since the late 70's.... It is a combo clean/lubricant after all. Never had any corrosion with it. Plus smells good. ;)

I should try an experiment and throw a round in a baggie with G96 and let it set a few years hey? :)

I don't spray anything in mine. I by ammo bulk, so boxes are a little crazy. I do have plastic MTM ammo boxes that I load a few hundred rounds or so at a time into when I go to the range.

G96 I never found to be that agressive. I've literally used mostly nothing else since the late 70's.... It is a combo clean/lubricant after all. Never had any corrosion with it. Plus smells good. ;)

I should try an experiment and throw a round in a baggie with G96 and let it set a few years hey? :)

On NATO spec ammo the primer and bullet should be sealed enough to help prevent water from entering.

I'm assuming it would prevent most lubes from getting in too unless you had some rounds where the bullet wasn't seated and sealed properly, same with the primer.

This stuff is great:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/954332/markron-custom-bullet-and-primer-sealer-1-2-oz-liquid

I don't spray anything in mine. I by ammo bulk, so boxes are a little crazy. I do have plastic MTM ammo boxes that I load a few hundred rounds or so at a time into when I go to the range. G96 I never found to be that agressive. I've literally used mostly nothing else since the late 70's.... It is a combo clean/lubricant after all. Never had any corrosion with it. Plus smells good. ;)I should try an experiment and throw a round in a baggie with G96 and let it set a few years hey? :)Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why did you suggest spraying the ammo then?

I've used G96 longer than you but not to the exclusion of other products. Spraying a cleaner, lubricant, or preservative is not a good idea. Every reloading manual I've seen warned against doing so for reasons I've stated.

You don't get a dead primer from being stored with a lubricant on it...until you do.

Primers are pretty water proof as they come. Using a primer sealant might be a good idea if you are going to get the ammo wet but is not needed 99.9% of the time for water protection.

Why did you suggest spraying the ammo then?

I've used G96 longer than you but not to the exclusion of other products. Spraying a cleaner, lubricant, or preservative is not a good idea. Every reloading manual I've seen warned against doing so for reasons I've stated.

You don't get a dead primer from being stored with a lubricant on it...until you do.

Primers are pretty water proof as they come. Using a primer sealant might be a good idea if you are going to get the ammo wet but is not needed 99.9% of the time for water protection.

I dunno.... I was being kinda off base. No more than he needed moisture packs I guess. In reality I guess I meant ya needed nothing. Mine sat for decades with no probs as I said.

ame="GRIZ" post="975638" timestamp="1433368051"]

I dunno.... I was being kinda off base. No more than he needed moisture packs I guess. In reality I guess I meant ya needed nothing. Mine sat for decades with no probs as I said.

If I'm loading ammo in a humid environment or it is exposed to humidity I find it's cheap insurance to throw one or two in the can to eat up any moisture.

Folgers plastic coffee cans come with an air tight seal. I use them for all sorts of storage, loaded ammo, various batches of brass in various stages, etc. You can get one of those silver markers and just write on the black lid what is inside, and then save the lids and re-use them next time you have a batch of ".223, twice fired, cleaned" or whatever. 

And they are free, once I drink the coffee.

I keep 1k rds of each caliber I shoot 9. 38. 40. 357. & 223 loaded at all times. plus 2 steel ammo cans filled with extra 9 and 40.

Ive never had A problem with moisture or humidity.

I was cleaning A shed out back and found A case of 20 Guage target shells that had to have been there for 15 years( thats the last time I shot A 20)  Went to shoot clays and shot them in my cousins 20 Ga. No problems at all with any of them.

Same with powder and primers. I have herco powder that is in the old steel cans that is still usable today. 

Store them however you want and shoot away.

I keep 1k rds of each caliber I shoot 9. 38. 40. 357. & 223 loaded at all times. plus 2 steel ammo cans filled with extra 9 and 40.

Ive never had A problem with moisture or humidity.

I was cleaning A shed out back and found A case of 20 Guage target shells that had to have been there for 15 years( thats the last time I shot A 20)  Went to shoot clays and shot them in my cousins 20 Ga. No problems at all with any of them.

Same with powder and primers. I have herco powder that is in the old steel cans that is still usable today. 

Store them however you want and shoot away.

I actually have a bag of sand box ammo that came from the Gulf War, bag of 7.62x39 ammo maybe 80 rounds or so and they sat in a shed for years until I got my hands on them and shot 'em. All went bang and those rounds looked horrible, some were actually rusting away (steel cases). Don't recommend shooting ammo in that condition but it worked just fine no duds/hang fires/squibs

I use ammo cans as well. Since that's their intended purpose. Good enough for the military, good enough for my reloads. we recently did a group buy on this forum from www.AmmoCanMan.com good quality for the price shipped to my door.

http://ammocanman.com/

On another note. I've been toying with the idea of some how installing a Schrader valve port into an ammo can. Then hooking up my vacuum pump pulling it down to 29.9 in of HG (or 400 microns) to remove all non condensibles from the air in the can, after sealing it. Wonder if it would work? That or maybe a one way check valve and Schrader port to fill the can with dry nitrogen. When I pump in the nitrogen the air in the can will be expelled through a check valve on the other side. The wheels are turning in my head.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner....

We go thru almost a folders can per week... Any ideas how many .223 they hold?

Ammo cans are nice but I was looking for a free solution or or perhaps $2-$3 per 1000 rounds stored.

For 9mm there is a guy on YouTube saying to use large mouth empty 1 gallon juice jugs?. Then transfer to one or two smaller Gatoraid bottles to transport a shooting sessions worth to the range.

Seem like it might be a good solution?

Not sure if I will ever get to 10k rounds of .223 and 9mm but that's what the calculator say I need to pay for all this reloading equipment... Gonna give it my best shot....

Folgers plastic coffee cans come with an air tight seal. I use them for all sorts of storage, loaded ammo, various batches of brass in various stages, etc. You can get one of those silver markers and just write on the black lid what is inside, and then save the lids and re-use them next time you have a batch of ".223, twice fired, cleaned" or whatever.

And they are free, once I drink the coffee.

We go thru almost a folders can per week... Any ideas how many .223 they hold?

Depends on the can size. As the the inflation shrink ray has hit coffee I have all sorts of sizes, but two seem common. The really tall ones I never see at the store anymore but I can buy at Sam's fit about 800rd of .223, the shorter ShopRite type are about 450.

Note that if you do plan to store them long term, ammo cans are probably a better choice. The ammo I load tends to not be around for more then a couple of a few months so thats why I use the coffee cans.

I also use plastic MTM type ammo boxes for the match grade stuff.