Sign in to follow this  
AverageJoe

Gun Safe Temp / Humidity Balance?

Looking for info on what the "ideal" temp/humidity range inside a gun safe is. So far the searching I'm doing is giving a lot of results of people posting "my safe is  x temp and y humidity with no issues" but I have not seen any info on what the acceptable ranges are yet(still searching). Quick back story, I had somewhat of a vault custom built in the house. This past Sunday with the AC off, golden rod off the vault was 74°/51% humidity...Monday  to present, the AC set to 74°, golden rod(24") on, the vault seems to be holding a steady 79°/42% humidity. I'm thinking the humidity might be ok, but the temp too high? Now, a lot of the posts I'm reading ppl are saying their humidity percentage is in the 20's, I do believe this may be too low especially for wood stocks as it will dry out over time? Any good data out there giving the ideal ranges? TIA.

Same as computer rooms, 72F and 50RH.  To dry, wood stocks will crack, to moist, mold and rust will set in.  Temperature not at critical but the RH is based on temperature so closer to 68-72 is better.

And how reliable is your hygrometer... Just saying. So I have like 4 in the house. One for the wine fridge, the room humidifier, the central house humidifier, and one on a clock. The reading range is over 15 points between them. I have no idea which one is best. I guess you get what you pay for.

I think a sling psychrometer is among the best, but less accurate at very low humidity, and it can be difficult to use inside the safe.

Hygrometer calibration needs to be done fairly often and can drift, but I think you really just need a ballpark idea.

Same as computer rooms, 72F and 50RH.  To dry, wood stocks will crack, to moist, mold and rust will set in.  Temperature not at critical but the RH is based on temperature so closer to 68-72 is better.

Ok got it. Only thing is, with the golden rod unplugged it'll never get below 74 as thats what the house climate set to. Might unplug it and check it in a couple days, see where the RH is at. I'm guessing around 48%. Oh one more thing, I'm considering storing my powder in there as well.

EDIT: went to unplug the GR and RH dropped another point to 41...so temp holding to 79 but the longer it goes the air seems to be getting more dry...see what happens in a couple days.

This thread just reminded me to plug my rod in for my safe! Thanks! I actually wired an Aprilaire humidastat as a switch to turn mine on and off when the humidity level hits a certain percentage. Had to use a 24v transformer but it works great.

No rod in my safe just dehumidifier.. house is kept at 70-72 degrees year round in winter the humidity drops to 38 or so reason i purchased humidifier this past winter..

Edit:  took this off safe site..

Damage from moisture might not be readily visible, especially if your safe contains only documents, file folders, or boxes. To keep an accurate watch on the humidity level in your safe, a hygrometer is a good idea. A hygrometer measures the relative humidity inside your safe, and the goal is to have 50 percent relative humidity. By using a hygrometer, you won't wait until it's too late to prevent moisture damage.

So there you have it - a brief education on the causes and prevention of humidity inside your safe. Remember, both the EvaDry and dehumidifier rod will do the same job, just in different ways. The desiccant will absorb the moisture, and the dehumidifier rod will prevent the moisture. Either way, you get the same result - a nice dry safe.