OfcrFek

Emergency fridge...

My wife is diabetic. Insulin needs to be refrigerated for "long term" storage. During hurricane sandy, a lot of friends who live around me lost power for literally weeks. This got me thinkin...

If I got one of these 12v DC power car refrigerator, either the ones for keeping milk cool on the ride home or the kind for medical supplies in an ambulance, and parallel wire a few car batteries and wire a few appropriate size solar panels to the batteries, would that work the way I think? I'm nothinking all THAT knowledgeable on electricity, but would anyone know if this would work the way I was thinking?

Something like that would work, but I would take it a step further.

Get a couple of AGM deep cycle batteries (easier and safer to work with then acid ones), get a solar charger and a 110 charger.  Get a small generator and some solar panels. You know have 3 ways to charging them, from the wall when the power is on (and keeping them charged), from the generator running it a couple to a few hours a day, and from the sun. Also, probably from your car , but that is a waste of gasoline as a small generator would a lot more reliable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/900-peak700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-60338.html

frequently goes on sale for $88. good for powering a fridge if you don't have a bigger generator already.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-68751-8527.html

seen on sale for $139 or so occasionally.

for the 12v idea, AGM batteries are good but expensive. Walmart sells deep cycle marine batteries. pick up one or more group 29 or group 31 batteries and you'll have a massive amount of storage capacity.

You may want to look into refrigerators that run off of propane. They are used in the RV market. In our 88 VW camper we have a built-in fringe that runs off of 120v AC, 12v DC and propane. It can run for a week (or more) on a small tank of propane.

One thing to keep in mind about emergency refrigeration is you do not need continuous power. A generator, for example, will use power while it is running and whether it is under load or not (but a lot more under load). Refrigerators are made to keep out heat, of course. So there is no need to have a power generation source idling to provide continuous power. Throw a temperature blank in there with a thermometer and experiment to see how often the fridge really needs power. Keep in mind, of course, that it will gain heat faster when the ambient temperature is hotter.

I'm sure all this has been covered before but I'm just throwing it out there. Joe Blow (like me) with a generator and a limited fuel supply has no reason to run the thing all day and all night. More like one hour every four hours a day to charge phones/batteries/computers, cool down the fridge and freezer, charge the water tank, shower or do laundry, etc. Obviously you get the things you need out of the fridge or freezer when it is under power, not when it is unpowered and trying to maintain temp passively.

Batteries and solar panels would be different I guess since they are on demand only. But still, the fridge like maintains temp by either a temperature setpoint or a dead set (high/on low/off). It is possible that the fridge will use more battery power than it actually needs running on demand as well.

I would have a couple thermoses as well. In a pinch they will keep something cool for a long time with just a little ice. Try to generate or acquire ice during times like this and keep it on hand. You can also cook dried beans, corn, and crushed wheat in a thermos after simply heating to a boil and then keeping in the thermos for about 4 or 5 hours. Like an insulated pot, although smaller, yet more efficient.

My wife is diabetic. Insulin needs to be refrigerated for "long term" storage. During hurricane sandy, a lot of friends who live around me lost power for literally weeks. This got me thinkin...

If I got one of these 12v DC power car refrigerator, either the ones for keeping milk cool on the ride home or the kind for medical supplies in an ambulance, and parallel wire a few car batteries and wire a few appropriate size solar panels to the batteries, would that work the way I think? I'm nothinking all THAT knowledgeable on electricity, but would anyone know if this would work the way I was thinking?

For biopharmaceuticals there is ideal storage, satisfactory storage, and unsatisfactory storage. Most drugs like insulin can be kept at room temperature for extended periods with no loss of potency. I've seen forced stability studies where they raise the temperature to 40 or 50 C and there's little or no degradation. These drugs are formulated for stability at room temperature. If we're without power for two weeks due to a storm you'll be ok. In a true SHTF situation supply will be a much worse problem than stability. 

And why does it have to be 29 or 31 batteries? Or were those just random numbers you were throwing out there?

they're 2 of the biggest 12v dual use marine deep cycle batteries you can generally find at a reasonable cost. anything much bigger gets really hard to pick up. :D

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Group-Size-29DC-Marine-Battery/20531543

61# battery.

also taking into account 'fox and Newtonian's comments, your average fridge is designed to keep food cold for 4 hours, and the freezer for 48 hours if the door is never opened. cycling the power supply to the fridge wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, and would extend your runtime.

RV online stores sell big solar panels. Not cheap, but they put out some juice.

Something to consider, though not what you asked about, and maybe not in your budget, is a small, used, non-leaking RV. You'll get the propane/electric fridge plus a "backup, relocatable home" if as Newtonian said...the SHTF.

Wireless digital TV, heat, ac, generator, solar, propane, heat....and... You could even do some camping in Free America if you were so inclined.

Downside is cost, maintenance and a place to put it. Plus insurance if you drive it. But it has its uses.

Also, i bought one of these portable solar panels recently.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3OL5U8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

$50. About 2 amps at 5 volts. Enough to charge two devices very quickly. Size of an iPad when folded and very light. Best portable solar option I could find. There are some others that are decent as well. Same price range/spec.

They do make solar powered generators. Perfect for running a small appliance. I have one of those mini refrigerators in my work van for my lunch and drinks, it's awesome. The also make solar power car battery chargers. That's another option.

Type "ARB Fridge" into your search engine  -- the best thing going for portable refrigeration in my opinion

I have one, 50 quart version -- use it all the time -- runs of household Ac or 12 volt DC -- I did a test using 2 group 65 platinum diehard AGM batteries -- I have these wired in a box with inverter and some 12 volt power outlets for portable silent power wherever

Fridge ran for almost 5 days straight, set at 33 degrees, during the summer in my garage before it hit the auto, settable, low voltage shutdown on the fridge

We use it for vacations,  road trips, emergency use, or if you just need an extra fridge -- right now it's running loaded with beer and soda from a graduation party this weekend

My wife takes it to LBI for a week,  Just plugs it in when she gets there, never empties it into the house fridge

Anyway,  It's not cheap but well worth it

Ever consider looking at your neighbors houses within a five minute walk radius?

Approaching someone who has a set of solar panels on their roof may be an option. While having panels doesn't make one a charity giver, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask if they can store some of your wifes insulin if the power goes out. I don't know how much insulin one stores, but if you kept a weeks worth and had them store the rest it may be a good idea.

Just an option, a backup if anything.

Ok -- please explain

Every system I see the inverter will shut down without incoming power from the grid -- Never seen 1 with battery storage

Enphase is micro inverters on each panel.

The grid tie inverters you speak of have what's known as island protection.

Simple work around is to unplug the gridtie and plug in a conventional inverter. Like the ones at pepboys.

Enphase converts to Ac directly at the panel.

When the sun is shining solar panels make Dc electricity. If it used or wasted depends on what's controlling them.

Enphase is micro inverters on each panel.

The grid tie inverters you speak of have what's known as island protection.

Simple work around is to unplug the gridtie and plug in a conventional inverter. Like the ones at pepboys.

Enphase converts to Ac directly at the panel.

When the sun is shining solar panels make Dc electricity. If it used or wasted depends on what's controlling them.

OK enphase is a brand not a process --  I understand about the micro inverter converting at each panel 

When you say simple work around is to plug in an inverter -- Not that simple -- would take some rewiring -- most people I see with these systems don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold 

Would you rewire to "fake the grid" to make the inverters you have work as normal and power the whole house or would you just eliminate the grid tie inverters totally 

Does the extra electricity made need to go somewhere?  your loads will never be exactly the same as output of the panels

OK enphase is a brand not a process -- I understand about the micro inverter converting at each panel

When you say simple work around is to plug in an inverter -- Not that simple -- would take some rewiring -- most people I see with these systems don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold

Would you rewire to "fake the grid" to make the inverters you have work as normal and power the whole house or would you just eliminate the grid tie inverters totally

Does the extra electricity made need to go somewhere? your loads will never be exactly the same as output of the panels

Let's not get tied up in the machinations . For purposes here enphase is AC going to the panel.

We are on the same page.

Let me ask you this: if you put a solar panel out in the sun, hooked to nothing, what is it doing?

My fathers house has solar, and when the power goes out, it does in his house also. It was explained to me that excess power is given back to the grid, so as a safety precaution, when the power goes out, so does houses with solar. If a line gets knocked down, they cut the power to the line on the power station side, a guy goes to work on it, if it was near a house with solar that is still actively producing power and pumping it into the grid, the line would still be live. The only way you can legally make a building with solar panels to continue to work without hardwired power to the structure in NJ is if the structure isn't connected to the power grid at all.

Now can someone who is knowledgeable rig something to act as a battery and a relay to turn power over from the hardline to backup battery? Sure. But from my understanding, it's not legal to do in NJ

The only way you can legally make a building with solar panels to continue to work without hardwired power to the structure in NJ is if the structure isn't connected to the power grid at all.

That makes no sense, it would be no more dangerous then having a standby generator, you just need to make sure you have an automated transfer switch.

That makes no sense, it would be no more dangerous then having a standby generator, you just need to make sure you have an automated transfer switch.

Or an interlock switch you purchase at lowes for 30 bucks. Perfectly legal. Kill the main, flip the genny breaker. House power of the grid.

Grid tie inverters shut down when the grid goes down. And what a waste all that money in panels on the roof..... Or,