jm1827

Spotting Scope?

HI everyone,

I know there have been a few older threads, but I did a search and didn't find any recent discussions.

I am looking to purchase a new or used spotting scope, preferably one that can see out to 300 yards, my current scope is pretty worthless past 100.

Any first hand recommendations as what to buy or what not to buy?  I will be shooting .243 Win.. 308 and 300 Win-Mag. Hopefully I can find something under $300.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I recently got a Barska 20-60x60 (~ $100) and it is a POS. A buddy of mine got a similar one about 6 years ago and the optics were amazing. Current reviews looked good so I gave it a shot. I can see .22 holes at 100 yards quite clearly but it is really just a 20x scope. Turning up the magnification does not allow you to resolve images any better. It's a workable get what you pay for cheapo and not a real $300 scope like you are looking for.

In my opinion, the best scope you are going to get for under 3 bills is this Konus: http://shop.opticsplanet.com/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7_mrBRDH4Y2UjLHEmfcBEiQA8OTHfzOb-Hy9jI2Ug-CeS4jmxFzIIWGpCoyc4JKY2YTB4JkaAhA78P8HAQ

Use the other $70 to buy a nice tripod, because the one that comes w. it is a POS.

With my Nikon 25-75x ED I can compare it to $3-$5K European Spotting Scopes.  I use it for both shooting & birding.  Front element is 82mm in diameter, so it's great on cloudy days or at the beginning or end of the day shooting-wise since the wider front takes-in more light.  I can see two .22's touching or read cloverleafs that other scopes merely reduce to a blur.  Super multi-coated lens elements prevent color fringing and it's made from some special ground glasses.  I compared it to a Leica Scope & bought the Nikon.  At only $1,500 (several years ago) it was "Zeiss-like" and "Leica-like" in quality.  I MOUNT it on a $250 tripod with a $100 pan/tilt head.  Buy once, cry ONCE!

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I recently got a Barska 20-60x60 (~ $100) and it is a POS. A buddy of mine got a similar one about 6 years ago and the optics were amazing. Current reviews looked good so I gave it a shot. I can see .22 holes at 100 yards quite clearly but it is really just a 20x scope. Turning up the magnification does not allow you to resolve images any better. It's a workable get what you pay for cheapo and not a real $300 scope like you are looking for.

I have a Barska now, and I might not call it a POS, it definitely cannot reach out past 100 yards unless I am using 12 ga slugs through reactive paper LOL.

Or maybe i am just getting old and can't see as well any more.

In my opinion, the best scope you are going to get for under 3 bills is this Konus: http://shop.opticsplanet.com/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7_mrBRDH4Y2UjLHEmfcBEiQA8OTHfzOb-Hy9jI2Ug-CeS4jmxFzIIWGpCoyc4JKY2YTB4JkaAhA78P8HAQ

Use the other $70 to buy a nice tripod, because the one that comes w. it is a POS.

Agreed. I have this same scope and for the money, it's pretty damn good. I bought a Sunpak tripod off Amazon for $18 and it works great.

Thanks for the info, have you ever tried it out to 300 yards?

Thanks for the info, have you ever tried it out to 300 yards?

They have these at CJRPC (their loaner spotters).  IMO, it is adequate for up to 300 yards. 

For that matter, other than a Kowa, Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, etc, you are not gaining much at 300 yds by spending more money.  Other than the high end glass, you shouldn't bother seeing bullet holes past 300.

I own one as my range beater that I don't mind others using.  Let me know if you would like to try mine.

Eric

I like my Kowa TSN-774 alot w/ 20-60x eyepiece. I can see targets cleaner with that glass then my rifle scopes. And my rifle scopes have excellent glass too.

Looks like a nice scope, may be a little over my budget though.

They have these at CJRPC (their loaner spotters).  IMO, it is adequate for up to 300 yards. 

For that matter, other than a Kowa, Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, etc, you are not gaining much at 300 yds by spending more money.  Other than the high end glass, you shouldn't bother seeing bullet holes past 300.

I own one as my range beater that I don't mind others using.  Let me know if you would like to try mine.

Eric

Eric (or other CJRPC members) - how do you go about getting a loaner spotter at CJRPC?  I'm a new member and don't recall hearing this during the new member session

I use a Barska 20-60x80 scope (purchased from Midway for well under $300) for my Across-the-Course (200-300-600yd) work.

I can even see my .223 holes at 300 at the SJSC Frozen Nutz shoots (most of the time, depending on the conditions)

As for a scope stand, except for bench or offhand, a tripod is worthless. What you need is a scope stand like those sold by Creedmoor http://www.creedmoorsports.com/category/Scope-Stands

The footprint of these stands is so much smaller than the leg spread of a photo-type tripod

Yes, they are relatively expensive (compared to a tripod), but what made you think this sport was a cheap game to play??

Eric (or other CJRPC members) - how do you go about getting a loaner spotter at CJRPC? I'm a new member and don't recall hearing this during the new member session

You can talk to John Donald, who runs the high power events. That group has the scopes. If you ask him, im sure he'll let you try one.

The other option is that if you want to guest me in, Id be happy to bring mine one afternoon and spend a couple hours shooting...

Eric

You can talk to John Donald, who runs the high power events. That group has the scopes. If you ask him, im sure he'll let you try one.

The other option is that if you want to guest me in, Id be happy to bring mine one afternoon and spend a couple hours shooting...

Eric

Eric, I'd be happy to bring you as a guest.  PM me and let me know when you're generally available

With my Nikon 25-75x ED I can compare it to $3-$5K European Spotting Scopes.  I use it for both shooting & birding.  Front element is 82mm in diameter, so it's great on cloudy days or at the beginning or end of the day shooting-wise since the wider front takes-in more light.  I can see two .22's touching or read cloverleafs that other scopes merely reduce to a blur.  Super multi-coated lens elements prevent color fringing and it's made from some special ground glasses.  I compared it to a Leica Scope & bought the Nikon.  At only $1,500 (several years ago) it was "Zeiss-like" and "Leica-like" in quality.  I MOUNT it on a $250 tripod with a $100 pan/tilt head.  Buy once, cry ONCE!

My philosophy is similar to Smokin .50 in that I research, read reviews, ask others for opinions based on their experiences and "test drive" equipment where possible, before I decide what to purchase.  I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for and when it comes to high quality, one should spend what you can afford to get the best possible quality for the price. 

Having said that, I was shocked at the prices for the top end of spotting scopes, (Zeiss, Swarovski at around $3,200 - $3,600), followed by the mid-priced  Nikon, Kowa and then everyone else.  But in order to get a spotting scope that will provide high quality optics with minimal distortion at 300 yards I think I am going to have to pony up some serious bucks to be satisfied....

I have read some very positive reviews for the Meopta Meostar S2 Angle 82mm spotting scope. 

Has any NJGun Forum member used this scope or has one and can comment on its quality?

The body alone retails for around $1,700 and the 30-60x eyepiece is another $500, totalling around $2,200, not including a tripod, case and cover. (Ouch!)

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AVB-AMG

^^^^I've never had the pleasure of gazing thru a Meostar, so I went to B and H's web site to take a gander.  Construction, size, weight, sharpness, color, etc. seem to place it sorta even with the Nikon.  Maybe a visit to B and H would be worth the trip for a side-by-side comparison?  My scope isn't manufactured any more, but it may be available on the used market (as well as others---at a significant price-break).  If you wind-up with the Meostar, my best advice is to get the $99 padded carrying case so you have a secure way to move it around.  Nikon included a soft case with strap with my scope.  It's never been out of the soft case........   One more thing, I read on the B and H site that a Manfratto tripod mount is included, which is GREAT!  I use a #3047 "Bogen" brand Pan-Tilt tripod head manufactured by Manfratto.

Good luck with your purchase!

Dave

Hi Everyone,

I ended up getting one of these based on a recommendation-  http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52250-Ultima-Spotting-Scope/dp/B0002CTZ70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432996108&sr=8-1&keywords=celestron+spotting+scope

For a low priced model it does exactly what I need, which is see my targets out to 300 yards.  Nothing fancy but it works for me, I can see my hits easily out to 300 yards.  I found it with a decent tripod for $179.

Hi Everyone,

I ended up getting one of these based on a recommendation- http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52250-Ultima-Spotting-Scope/dp/B0002CTZ70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432996108&sr=8-1&keywords=celestron+spotting+scope

For a low priced model it does exactly what I need, which is see my targets out to 300 yards. Nothing fancy but it works for me, I can see my hits easily out to 300 yards. I found it with a decent tripod for $179.

Glad it worked out for you dude!

As Smokin .50 also indicated, part of the spotting scope research, prior to purchase, needs to also consider tripods.

I have an American-made, all-aluminum LEITZ Tilt-All tripod that I bought back in 1978 for my SLR camera.  It is a solid, quality tripod that should be more than adequate for a 4-8 lb spotting scope with cover, but I may need to buy an adapter cover plate.

I would also like to get a smaller tripod for mounting the spotting scope on a table top at the range.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for a high-quality, steady, secure, small or mini tripod for spotting scope use?

I am leaning towards a new design from Manfrotto that will be available this October called: PIXI EVO Mini Tripod

It has a load capacity of 5.5 lb and a height range from 2.4" to 7.7" and will sell for $50.
Here is a link to the B&H website for this item

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1178734-REG/manfrotto_mtpixievo_bk_pixi_evo_mini_tripod.html

Any thoughts on the sutiability of this small tripod for use at an outdoor range on a table...(Smokin .50)?

Thanks in advance.

AVB-AMG

Well, after checking out many different spotting scopes, I finally decided to pull the trigger and ordered a Meopta MeoPro 80 HD spotting scope that has an integrated 20x 60x eyepiece, a HD Fluoride objective lens, Schott glass and ion-assisted multi-coatings to eliminate chromatic aberrations (CA) and color fringing, all encased in a rubber coated magnesium chassis. This spotting scope will be used primarily for assisting with my long-range shooting between 100-500 yards.

As some of you know, Meopta is a high quality optics company based in the Czech Republic that has been manufacturing optics since the 1930’s. I had been originally considering their Meostar S2 Angle 82mm spotting scope, but it, along with a 30-60x eyepiece, costing an additional $500, would total around $2,200 making it too expensive for what I want to pay. The MeoPro 80 HD takes essentially the same Czech-produced optics and assembles them in Meopta’s US facility in Hauppauge, NY. This allows for a significant cost reduction of this scope to the current street price of $1,500. With padded cases. lens caps, along with a high-quality Creedmore Sports Polecat Scope Stand, with a padded tri-pod case to mount the spotting scope on, my total investment costs are just around $2,000.

Not cheap by any means, but it is my investment in a high-quality optic system that will provide superior visual capabilities that I expect will last for the balance of my shooting career.

AVB-AMG