Sign in to follow this  
Newtonian

Golden Eagle "Match" .22lr

Celebrated the first phase of my birthday today with an extended trip to the range. Took my favorite three -- CZ75 tactical, S&W 617, Ruger GP100 and all top-notch ammo (or so I thought). Those .38 specials that cost $24 for 25 that I thought was a box of 50, etc. And some stuff from Aguila called "Golden Eagle Match" .22lr.

Anyone have any experience with that ammo?

I can post targets (my best ones of course) if anyone's interested. 

I noticed after shooting through the first box of the Golden Eagles that the rounds were not dropping smoothly into the chambers. After about 70 rounds I had to shove them in. My trusty cleaning brush fixed the problem until the next 20 or 30 rounds. There was no leading in the barrel but thereafter I had to brush the chambers every 20 rounds. After 250 shots I could not close the cylinder. Approximately a quarter of a bullet's worth of lead deposited around and onto the forcing cone. Cleared it. Again, nothing in the barrel (although I cleaned that too). 

Is this ammo known for being dirty? This to me was ridiculous, not being able to close the cylinder on this gun, which eats everything. When I switched to CCI there was no problem after 150 rounds.

BTW, still no failures of any kind after 1000+ rounds through the CZ75, and I've only cleaned it once. Will do so again this weekend. What a great gun. No failures either after 1500 rounds through my CZ82. CZ makes quality guns. 

Meanwhile I'm giving Mastodon my Browning B'master and Beretta Px4 Storm for deep, intense cleaning because I cannot get through a mag without some sort of nonsense. They may be up for sale soon, so if anyone needs a gun that has three F2F every magazine let me know. Perfect home defense gun. :)